Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 58

Author Topic: DF Eternal Suggestion Voting  (Read 456550 times)

jellyman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF Eternal Suggestion Voting
« Reply #135 on: October 04, 2008, 09:52:23 pm »

If I had a chance I'd want to put a negative vote against the 'more complicated farming' suggestion.

I wouldn't begrudge other's the chance to experience a more complicated farming set, but if enough people feel the same way I do I would think Toady could take it into account by either making it an option, or moddable.  Or thinking about why some of us (assuming I'm not alone) are opposed to more complicated farming.   My personal objection is that I don't want an increase in micromanagement required to deal with an aspect of the game I consider boring.  Maybe if other automation features are improved to reduce overall micromanagement this objection would not matter any more.

What I'm getting at is that I think allowing negative votes could be allowable, but I suggest they do not affect overall ranking of suggestions at all.  But it does allow Toady to see if an idea is controversial so he can consider whether to implement the change in such a way to try and keep everyone happy.  Or decide he can't please everyone and go ahead anyway.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: October 04, 2008, 10:00:05 pm »

All of my farming suggestions have included no to very minor amounts of management, from "do nothing" to "crop rotation" (that everyone does anyway so that they have more than one kind of booze and more ingredients for cooked food, as well as cloth, etc.) for the lazy-inclined.

Foa

• Bay Watcher
  • And I thought foxfire was stylish in winter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: October 05, 2008, 04:34:31 pm »

All of my farming suggestions have included no to very minor amounts of management, from "do nothing" to "crop rotation" (that everyone does anyway so that they have more than one kind of booze and more ingredients for cooked food, as well as cloth, etc.) for the lazy-inclined.
Crop ratios, yes?

I'd like to petition, for channeling depth control, for irrigation, and fish game purposes.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: October 05, 2008, 05:06:20 pm »

Crop ratios, yes?

I'd like to petition, for channeling depth control, for irrigation, and fish game purposes.

Crop ratios?  I was talking about rotation: Winter plump helmets, spring sweet pods, summer cave wheat, and fall pig tails (if I'm remembering planting seasons correctly).

Othob Rithol

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Dark Snathi, Rain & Tom Bombadil
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: October 06, 2008, 08:15:32 am »

Some of the suggestions to improve farming actually have no increased player attention requirement, but just reduce the yield to a realistic and balanced level.  The conversation was just dominated by the players that do want hyper-complexity.

A good example is having a "tend crops" task that must be completed before a plant matures. Another, albeit slightly more setup-time gobbling, is to require most crops to be watered during their growth...meaning a farmer has to take a bucket, fill it, and dump in on the tile. Irrigation projects would just reduce the distance the farmer has to go to get water, but would not ultimately be required.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: October 08, 2008, 03:52:51 pm »

Some suggestions on the list just makes me ->  ::)
Example: Tamable unicorn - Why not?

So, I must  ::) again.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #141 on: October 09, 2008, 05:23:17 am »

zagibu has made some changes to the script, and I've uploaded the new version:

• Posts are now given numeric ranks for reference.
  • The votes that you've cast will be displayed above the list, with links so you can jump to them quickly.
  • The lists of supporters have been hidden.  I can still see it for puppet-detection-purposes.
  • There's an icon that hotlinks a suggestion creator's profile to enable discussion over links/descriptions and so on, as that seems to come up often enough.  From what I saw up there, I don't anticipate that privacy would be a issue, but let me know if there's a problem with this.
  • There is now a field where I can enter notes.  I don't know how often I'll get a chance to use it, but it's there.  I expect I'll mostly use it for quick notes on whether or not an idea is feasible or other issues I have that might then be discussed in the linked thread if there's one available.
  • There's an option to clear all of the votes for a suggestion, usable by the suggestion creator and myself.  I expect this'll come up when I finally get around to handling parts of the more general ones, or if the creator makes a large change to the description.  There are currently no plans for emails/PMs if votes are cleared, but I'm open to the PM idea if that's feasible and people think that would be useful (and zagibu isn't busy -- he's already done more than enough).  I don't want to mass mail from the boards, but PMs seem less spammish (you can turn the email-on-PM off in your profile).
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: October 09, 2008, 10:18:01 am »

Ah, good job Zagibu!  8)

alfie275

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: October 09, 2008, 10:50:28 am »

Um if a suggestion ive voted for gets put in the game or becomes unneccessary do i get the vote back?
I do LP of videogames!
See here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrAlfie275

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: October 09, 2008, 11:19:43 am »

Um if a suggestion ive voted for gets put in the game or becomes unneccessary do i get the vote back?

Yeah, that is for sure.  :)

korora

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: October 09, 2008, 11:22:17 am »

You can change your votes any time, no matter what.
DFPaint, a cross-platform 'screenbuilder' utility

plstcflsh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: October 17, 2008, 02:41:39 pm »

would a unified social chat 'engine' be something worth adding to the list? i describe it in more detail in the following thread - - -

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=26308.0

basically, it would use the existing chracater stats to generate conversations between dwarfs, and thus relationships and opinions. Additionally, the character interacts w dwarfs by 'talking' to them, and the dwarfs offer more personalized feedback on their jobs, etc.

ideally the system could be adapted towards all sentient creatures in SoA2, and even non sentient creatures to an extent. i can see it horribly maiming FPS, tho.

zagibu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: October 17, 2008, 02:57:38 pm »

Just add it to the list, there are all kinds of less useful suggestions up there, if you ask me.
99 barrels of beer in the pile
99 barrels of beer!
If some dwarves know the way to the pile
0 barrels of beer in the pile!

plstcflsh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: October 17, 2008, 03:08:54 pm »

ok, added.

Erom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: October 22, 2008, 01:35:21 pm »

My hosting company has notified me that the site is making too many sql connections, but hasn't given me any other information I can decipher.  My guess is that it's the voting script and/or the server move, so I'm taking down the script for now.
Sadness! I hope you can get your server woes soothed!
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 58