Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 112

Author Topic: Smster W/ Love - Game Over  (Read 212354 times)

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
Re: Smstr W / Love : A Lovely End Of The World - Day 1 - Class Selection
« Reply #90 on: January 24, 2014, 03:00:48 pm »

Wuba or Nerjin Are there flips in this game? Are items shown on flip? We have to give away our items before the end of the night, is this always successful or does it get interrupted when you die?
1. Well, probably. I'd suggest doing cartwheels first though. They're easier.
2. Depends on how tightly you hold them.
3. You have to give away your items. Holding them for too long is considered greedy, and if people found out you weren't sharing, you'd probably be mistaken for Evil.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 24, 2014, 03:05:40 pm »

Wuba:[/b] Are PMs allowed in this game? No mention in the OP and I checked twice to be sure.
No note passing in my classroom!

Everyone: What does everyone think of the 72 hour days. Will this make it easier or harder to find scum?
I don't think I'm supposed to answer that question, so why are you asking me?

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 24, 2014, 05:06:19 pm »

Are Wub Badict and Dr Nerjin part of the game?  Are they valid targets for actions or votes?

Leafsnail:  How will you balance puzzle solving versus hunting scum?
I will play this game pretty much normally to start with - there isn't enough information to go on right now, everything is incredibly vague.  Attacking the puzzle will probably only be possible after several people have died and revealed their roles.  At that point I will wildly speculate to myself in my free time until I come up with something.

• We have genders, I am Female. The Flirt, for instance, probably has to find an appropriately gendered target (probably male) to fulfil a third party wincon.
Then why reveal them?

Leafsnail
I've got a theory about where the roles in this game are coming from. I'm probably wrong. Note that there's an Inquisitor and someone that looks like a Lover role and there's items just like in Roguelike. Could this be a synthesis-of-a-bunch-of-the-subforum-games game? What do think?
That sounds completely reasonable to me.  The setting/flavour is similar to TM7, the inquisitor and apocalyptic scenario seem similar to WC3, the crown sounds like it could be a kingmaker based mechanic and the items do indeed seem roguelike-ish.

The other recent/common setups that seem likely to be referenced are Paranormal and GlyphGryph's revolution variants, so look out for references to them.  Keep in mind that this might just be a meta-joke rather than an actual hint, though.

Leafsnail, makeinu, Tiruin:
Since we have a pretty much confirmed 3 player scum team, what kind of patterns may crop up among these three interacting and how would you use them to hunt?
A reluctance to engage with each other unless forced to do so.  I would start using this tell after someone flips mafia, before then it's basically meaningless.

MyOwnWorstEnemy: What is your favorite town, mafia, and third party role? Why? And how do you like to use their abilities if any?
RangerCado: how did you choose who to vote for?

Everyone: What does everyone think of the 72 hour days. Will this make it easier or harder to find scum?
Easier or harder than what?  This is a pretty standard deadline rule around here.  I think it's harder to find scum than in hammers, when you have narrow-margin plurality lynches scum can easily manipulate the lynch by shifting their votes close to deadline.

Wuba: Is NQT Confirmed Good or Confirmed Not Evil? Are all 3rd Parties Evil?
Are you Good?

HissinhWalnuts

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a deep dislike of the natural world.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 24, 2014, 05:19:03 pm »

This is my first mafia, don't know all the slang, I know how to play so long as I know what I'm playing as.
Crack-a-lack-a

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 24, 2014, 05:40:24 pm »

Leafsnail: I have recently heard that from two people.  My mistake.

NQT: What role do you think that the genders will play in this game?

RangerCado: What reasoning went into the lynch vote on MOWE?

Hapah: NQT is confirmed not evil.  That does not mean that NQT is not a third party, it merely means that NQT isn't one of the rock summoners.

HissinhWalnuts: Some friendly advice: go take a look at the most recent beginner mafia to get an understanding of slang and stuff.  Also, for a 4mask example of what not to do.  You made the choice to jump into a game with several players, such as Tiruin, who are highly experienced, and some of them may not pull their punches, so to speak.  Welcome to the community!

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 24, 2014, 05:48:37 pm »

Caz: You haven't posted anything yet, which is not uncommon at the beginning of a game.  Are real life problems preventing posting, did you miss the notification of game start, or have you just not seen any reason to post?

TheDarkStar: What is your response to Tiruin's vote.  From the context, it appears to be a joke of some kind: care to elaborate?

Tiruin: You are currently acting as the mod of the active BM.  Do you think that this will take time and attention away from you as you attempt to play this game?

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 24, 2014, 06:00:53 pm »

(Writing from phone here, so please excuse the lack of quotes.)

Ranger, my preferred roles are investigative roles. I like to know things. Why are you asking me this? You know my alignment, so why go through the motions? (As for useless questions, before you posted I'd agree with your Tiruin assessment, but you would have known that already).

Wolf, I'll bear your assessment of Cheese in mind. As I said before, I'll try to make the most of Day 1 and I'll hope my Good allies will try to keep me alive for future days if possible. I think gender will be linked to certain third party win-cons and possible the use of some items. See 'Toon Mafia Re:Love', as this game appears like a spiritual successor. Do you have any insights on the setting or mechanics from what we've seen so far?

Toaster, as I won't have to appeal to objectivity as everyone knows I'm good I will do my analyses but not openly post my findings except where absolutely necessary. I'll be trying out some new procedures too. This is all if I survive until tomorrow, of course.

Makinu, are you deliberately making a role and item claim there? Don't answer this if you think doing so would give too much info to scum.

Hapah, yeah that seems a reasonable explanation. I look forward to seeing your 'more later'

Leafsnail, I don't think we should reveal anything yet. My role and gender were revealed in the game start post. As for the setting: it seems that there's a hodgepodge of borrowed mechanical elements as well as the flavour. This makes me strongly suspect Love Mafia style Lovers at the least, hence the gender.

Scum are rarely lynched Day 1: anything you think we could do to maximise that chance?

Walnuts, it's okay not to know the lingo yet, you've dived in at the deep end. If you have any questions about game play or anything else, please ask me as you can be sure of an honest answer. Asking and answering questions is the basic medium of play. Usually, it's normal to type the names of people you want to address so they know you're replying to them.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 24, 2014, 06:02:46 pm »

Are Wub Badict and Dr Nerjin part of the game?  Are they valid targets for actions or votes?

Are you threatening a teacher?

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 24, 2014, 06:07:00 pm »

PFP

Wife's dragging me out of the house for the evening, won't be able to post until late

(PS Wuba you are hilarious. Favorite Teacher #1 Forever)
I can't be expected to remember the names of everyone I've tried to stab.

Bored? Go read the EVE Chronicles.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 24, 2014, 06:11:41 pm »

NQT: To be honest, I have no idea what the setting/mechanics are. The only idea I have that hasn't already been mentioned is some sort of Harry Potteresque setting. Bunch of school aged kids, books of summoning, teachers going missing: my mind jumped to Harry potter. Though that may be because I am rather a fan of those books.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 24, 2014, 06:17:59 pm »

*Stops staring off into space and starts talking*

Darkstar
How are you going to apply lessons learned about self-presentation (and self-preservation) in this game?

I'm going to get my act together and play better. I'll calm down and realize that it's not all about me. Part of my problem was being scum twice in my first two games (paranormal, then limerick); this made it harder to see how to play (and fake) as town well.

TheDarkStar: What is your response to Tiruin's vote.  From the context, it appears to be a joke of some kind: care to elaborate?

It's a reference to the Limerick game, and also a test to see how I'll respond.

Could you tell us what you've learned from forum mafia in general? How would you act when someone is voting you--what would you initially think, and how would you respond?

My first thought is to figure out why. Here, it's RVS.

I'll type up some questions later, when I have a bit more time.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 24, 2014, 08:36:09 pm »

4mask:
...I don't know how you, or maybe I, should parse this. This is the same day-time as the BM, and also is subjective DEPENDING on what input people place in.

Tiruin: You are currently acting as the mod of the active BM.  Do you think that this will take time and attention away from you as you attempt to play this game?
I round the question to you: Why is it a joke, instead of anything else, 4mask? Why give your own interpretation of it?

And no-I was sleeping. People sleep! :I And no. This game is quite fun compared to the other games I'm in-sans Mod-play.
Also, did you just lynch vote MOWE?
This was @RangerCado: How&Why did you see it as a lynch vote
Why are all your questions towards me, or that general question, seemingly technical-oriented ones?

TDS
Could you tell us what you've learned from forum mafia in general? How would you act when someone is voting you--what would you initially think, and how would you respond?

My first thought is to figure out why. Here, it's RVS.

I'll type up some questions later, when I have a bit more time.

Erh? That missed my first question >_>
And in later cases? Like, not D1? What does RVS mean in regard to my vote towards you?

NQT
  • We will all have titles: I am Class President. These are other roles I've counted so far: robot?, flirt, nerd, crown-wearer*, inquisitor. I already have theories about the possible nature of some of these other titles.
  • We have genders, I am Female. The Flirt, for instance, probably has to find an appropriately gendered target (probably male) to fulfil a third party wincon.
Tiruin
NQT: "Mr President, sir, I've to ask-why did the teacher have time to write all that? What is holding him up?"
"MR President?! I've never been so insulted. Go sit at the back of the class!"
I don't think you've been paying sufficient attention to Wuba's posts. This doesn't necessarily mean you're scum, but this inattention is hardly going to help us find the evil doers. I'll be expecting a sharp improvement from here on in!

"Being totally not evil, could you explain if that is connected to...presidential powers, and can you tell how you were elected? I have a memory block. (Also, given the hammer-game, do you know if this is a kingmaker-type game?) ALSO, can you tell me how you're making the decisions, yet letting us decide for you?"
Wuba said there were seven votes to hammer. Now does that sound like a feature of a Kingmaker game to you? Also, I was elected to the esteemed position of class president mostly due to my humble origins and successful propaganda campaign.

What approach are you going to take to find scum in this game?
I never knew there're list type-formats. That's awesome.
Next: On that bullet, do you think genders play a good difference?
Also: I take it that your vote towards me...is because I called you male, right?

*sits at back of class, pouts, says yes ma'am in a sad tone* (...Are you telepathic?! I always am at the front in any class I'm in <_<)
This doesn't necessarily mean you're scum, but this inattention is hardly going to help us find the evil doers.
I love being judged at first impressions. Necessarily is a very good word to adjust feelings, and the concluding following point really is nice. :I
But I agree.
(In truth, I judged it..based on how I see you, as you [and not the flavor you]. Your avatar is also some kind of cute shadow-animal thing? That also added to it.)

> ...I was thinking more on 'try any kind of question even those that deviate from the obvious' @kingmaker
> I was serious about the memory block.
> Elected...how?
> @approach: I'll shut up and listen more, posting in brevity, keeping lookout, and making my notes while letting others talk more than me; that seems to work for most people, so why not I give it a try! Besides, I'll be taking your words from GlyphGryph's Worse things--you tell me my 'essential' playstyle sucks? I'll take it on! Because that really hurt me that you weren't open to discussion about how to improve each others' playstyles.

Webadict:

Are you threatening a teacher?
....But you're technically not here so we probably can and..

Webadict: I read the student handbook! What does it say about..'threatening' the teacher? What about 'voting' for them?

Also, I query if it is possible to influence flavor!

Wuba or Nerjin Are there flips in this game? Are items shown on flip? We have to give away our items before the end of the night, is this always successful or does it get interrupted when you die?
1. Well, probably. I'd suggest doing cartwheels first though. They're easier.
2. Depends on how tightly you hold them.
3. You have to give away your items. Holding them for too long is considered greedy, and if people found out you weren't sharing, you'd probably be mistaken for Evil.
> Are there roleflips in the game?
> Would it benefit the masses if we nitpicked these kinds of mechanics?
Ok I laughed at the last one. That is quite innovative, or..bastardy. Probable-miller shift if holding an item too long?

So I believe that items really aren't our possession, huh.

Toaster
Tiruin:
Toaster
Tiruin:  What would you do to someone you think is hunting scum too much to puzzle solve?
...Timeframe? Because I'd be querying his priorities--as in, poke at what exactly he's saying and, well, my action would generally be subjective however I'd revolve around the same thing I do to everyone-scumhhunting or not; poke poke poke. Query on their intent/motive, and context.

I figure there's something behind why you asked me such a question, yes?

Any point, really.  And fair enough.

Yes, there is.

Toaster: Thoughts on the introductory verse? A bit too macabre, huh.
Also I'd like to ask: How will you treat counterclaims and claims as a general tell?

Too macabre?  I love dark humor, so heck no!

Individually.  There's no hard and fast rule here, but typically the counter claim has a bit more weight.  I'd have to examine each one in particular, though.
> So...what's the yes there is?

...Dark humor .__. Erh, technical question; what's the difference between dark humor and black humor (which I keep on hearing from Game of Thrones...which is somehow funny for me D:)

Cado

Leafsnail, makeinu, Tiruin:
Since we have a pretty much confirmed 3 player scum team, what kind of patterns may crop up among these three interacting and how would you use them to hunt?
Sadly, in my opinion the patterns only fall when one is flipped-interaction and un-interaction can only be truly discerned when you know one piece of the pie: OR, unless one of them falls flat--there is notes in vote patterns, but there are also notes in what the people say in their posts (the essence of said posts), with the former taking precedence over the latter if no scumflips are there, for me.

What kind of patterns are you looking for?
Why ask us in trios? Why did you group me with them, and also the rest with the rest?

makeinu
*pops head up from his desk, where he's been sleeping all this time*

HERE!!

*looks around sheepishly, grinning a charming grin*

Well! That is embarrassing!!

So. Many. Questions.  :( Seeing as I have currently time for one and one only, I shall, of course, answer the most important, that of our lovely class president. *waves coquettishly* Hi, beautiful. Where have you been all my life?
Why do you flirt with NQT?

Also I infer that by 'importance' you mean...by innocence, right? What did you judge all questions towards you on, as in, what did you mean behind that importance-of-questions?[/list]

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 24, 2014, 08:38:46 pm »

Tiruin, I was referring to RangerCado when I asked the question.  My apologies if it wasn't clear.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 24, 2014, 08:40:01 pm »

I know you were. :I
Now why did you see it as such given his wording? (Or, y'know, question it as such that it should be questioned before any answer)

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 24, 2014, 08:44:38 pm »

Also, Tiruin, the thing about the BM was a QUESTION!  I was not attempting to insinuate that you were not playing the game: I knew you were.

And to answer your questions: I know it was a pressure vote.  I was simply questioning it.

The reason they are technical oriented, the one that I have posed to you directly, is because that was all I could think of at the time to ask you.

Here's a more in-game question: RangerCado hasn't even responded to my question yet, so why did you decide to question my question.  That wasn't even my final question, it was a confused comment before I realized what it meant.  You could have quoted my final question to him, which was almost the same, just with a little more actual digging, but instead you quote that.  Why?
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 112