Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Disallow room designations on soil  (Read 846 times)

irmo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Disallow room designations on soil
« on: June 16, 2008, 02:32:37 am »

Proposed: Dwarves don't consider anything with a dirt floor a proper room. If you dig a hole in the dirt and place beds in it, they'll sleep there (in the absence of anything better), but you can't create a bedroom from those beds, so they'll all have "slept without a proper room" thoughts. Likewise dining rooms, offices, and tombs.

Cryten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Disallow room designations on soil
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2008, 03:36:51 am »

While I get what your saying I think that dirt rooms function quite well now. Since you cant smooth and engrave dirt walls and ground the quarters remain meager untill you rebuilt the walls with stone and start making floor panels.

What I would suggest this should do would be to provide a negative modifier to any positive modifier put in the room that isnt paved/walls rebuilt. Or possibly dirtify some of the items in thier quarters.

I would be scared of losing my dwarves positive thoughts of admired own bed early on in the game as I like making sleeping rooms in dirt to avoid rock hauling early on in a fortress.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2008, 04:05:07 am »

I think the point will be moot once cave-ins are in. You won't be able to make any decent sized room in the dirt, because it'll fall in. You'll need to place supports and eventually rewall and refloor/re-ceiling, making a non-dirt room.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2008, 04:14:53 am »

Depends on the kind of dirt.  A high enough clay content and it won't collapse (as) easily.

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2008, 06:12:17 am »

I think the point will be moot once cave-ins are in. You won't be able to make any decent sized room in the dirt, because it'll fall in. You'll need to place supports and eventually rewall and refloor/re-ceiling, making a non-dirt room.
What about my 2x1 rooms which I give every dwarf that isn't a noble?
My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2008, 12:15:11 pm »

I don't like this suggestion. If I want my dwarfs to sleep in dirty rooms, by Armok, they're going to sleep in dirty rooms.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2008, 02:13:09 pm »

I don't like this suggestion. If I want my dwarfs to sleep in dirty rooms, by Armok, they're going to sleep in dirty rooms.

And you certainly could still do that. They just wouldn't be happy about it. Thus, more lovely tantrum cascade failures.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.