Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 19

Author Topic: Repeated Omnicide RTD (Turn 22: Angels and Demons)  (Read 23354 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: Repeated Omnicide RTD (Turn 1: Dust and Echoes)
« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2010, 03:16:28 pm »

The deadline is still midnight EST, and I'll see if I can post the rolls by 1AM.  I may change that to 11 and midnight for the next turn, if I feel like it.

Have some more information with which to decide:

PAL (the flaming battleaxe AI who probably knows something about weapons) hears you discussing destruction.  He looks pleased, and summons another readout.

"Excellent heroes, excellent.  Please review this listing of the Pyrrhus's weaponry."

The Pyrrhus runs on antimatter.  It produces this antimatter by flaunting the Second Suggestion of Thermodynamics.
The Pyrrhus can hold 12 "hours" of antimatter.  Time-travel takes 6, so it currently has 6.

Mass Driver: The "main gun".  An open tube through the middle of the ship accelerates lumps of space rock - a 12 kilometer railgun.  A shot from this would pulverise Phobos or Demos, or knock a chunk out of mars.  It's also useful for dodging.

Lasers: The Pyrrhus, having been carved out of a moon 12 kilometers in diameter, has a devastating array of lasers to protect itself from space debris and projectile attacks.  A distant target can be acquired by about 30% of these lasers at a time, for an "alpha strike".  This attack, which the Pyrrhus's incredible antimatter reactor can sustain for a few minutes, is "burn burn" not "pew pew".  Despite this, the attack will easily cause Phobos to shatter from heat expansion.  An alpha strike depletes about 1 hour of antimatter.  The lasers are not effective against planets with atmospheres.

The Bomb: Generates a miniature black hole.  Each nation on Earth had exactly one of these, as it's completely pointless to have 2.  All 12 were donated to your mission.  This device is best activated with a BIG TIMER.

Missiles: Smart missiles, which can be controlled remotely or with a primitive on-board AI.  You have thousands of these, and the onboard forge can construct more (why would you need more...).  The warheads are still nuclear, since the enemy could shoot antimatter warheads as you launch them (that would be bad).  These are some heavy nukes, though - one of these things would vaporize about 10% of Phobos, and send the rest careening out of orbit.  You have 6 missile launchers that can fire at once.

"So!  How would you like to destroy today?"

As of this post, the votes are:
wolfchild: Investigate Mars
Nirur Torir: Mass driver Phobos
ExKirby: Laser Phobos
Ochita: Summon Lucifer at Phobos
Spartan 117: Blow up (PAL interprets as "missile") Phobos

(Also, I fixed Aigas's pronouns.  A psionic, female, robot... crazy JRPGS, why you so crazy?)  (Not that I'm complaining, I love Disgaea.  Laharl's Meteor Impact: almost as good as Supernova for killing planets, heh)
« Last Edit: June 13, 2010, 03:18:05 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2010, 03:27:37 pm »

we aren't really doing ground battles are we? more like use huge cannon, go forward
Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

Spartan 117

• Bay Watcher
  • Never think twice. Or at all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2010, 11:48:23 pm »

Mass Driver it is then.
Well, you know how if you take your thumb and forefinger and hold them up to your eye, you can make it look like you're squishing someone's head? It's like that, only for real.
"Sometimes being a dwarf has it's advantages, KNEE-CAPPING TIME!"

wolfchild

• Bay Watcher
  • Wyvern Buddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2010, 12:09:07 am »

i insist on doing a systems check on my incinceration gear, being a BURN IT WITH FIRE, character
You really can both sig it.
But... That would break the laws of sigging! We can't have everyone running around with the same quotes. IT MAKES THEM UNFUNNY FASTER!

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2010, 12:12:05 am »

i insist on doing a systems check on my incinceration gear, being a BURN IT WITH FIRE, character

No problem, actions not related to ordering the AI will still be executed.
Turn will be up when it's up, sometime tonight with any luck.
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2010, 10:32:42 am »

After most undiplomatic like, ignoring everyone elses opinion, i instruct PAL to head to the mars system, then i do a weapons system check, making sure my gauntlet mounted weapons work in both modes, doing a no-ammo launch from my shoulder mounted launcher, count the ammo for said shoulder mounted launcher

After i check systems, i do a more thourrough check, involving my flamethrower and something both flamable and unnecisary probably bob

[5]PAL sets a course for the mars system.
[3]You check your weapons.  Everything is fine except your flamethrower, which seems to have a blockage!
[5]You clear the blockage by firing on a nearby bulkhead.  Nothing goes wrong, those things are tough.

Check my equipment and then persona. Also apolagise to spartan. Apparantly I was wrong.
[2]You try to run a diagnostic on your arm-computer, but it has locked up.  You reboot it.
[3]You apoligize to Blobby using the new language pack.  He/it seems to understand.
Changing Persona to satan, searching for lucifer, Lucifer accired. Performing armegeddon on Phobos http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KI4wLELYdPE
[6] The Black Cube is stored in a special containment device near the Pyrrhus's core.  It is watched by several sensors, set to trigger alarms if anything interesting happens to it.  So how are you now holding the Cube in your hand?  It is black as night, yet there is a suggestion of shimmering moonlight within.

I test the main gun against Phobos as we go past.
[1] You launch into a monologue on the nature of heavy weaponry and how it must be arrayed against the the most massive moon of mars, namely Phobos, in a manner not decreasing the speed of your vessel as it continues on a path beyond said moon.  Why is everyone else talking, can't they see that you're speaking?

Lazer PHOBOS. If we're to KILL all civilization, then we shall do so.
[2] Your suggestion is drowned out in all the shouting and speech-ing.

Mass Driver it is then.
"Let's uh, blow up Phobos and check out Luna."

I use my psionic powers to persuade the others to agree.

[5] Because you speak Ditto, PAL is able to hear you clearly over all the people shouting in Standard.
[5] Most everybody wants to attack Phobos.  You let them think it was their idea.

With a flourish of his holographic avatar, PAL navigates the Pyrrhus to Mars.  A high definition viewscreen shows the surface of Phobos.  Oddly, it seems smoother than you remember.  Isn't it supposed to have meteor craters?  Another viewscreen fizzes to life and shows the mass driver's capacitors begin to glow with heat, as the spacerock projectile is brought to the firing position.

[6] Inertial dampeners throughout the ship overcompensate, causing the Pyrrhus to actually move toward Phobos slightly.
Defenses: [1]
In an instant, Phobos erupts into a mass of high-energy particles!  [3] The Pyrrhus's Phobos-facing sensors are disabled, but [5] the energy shields prevent any real damage to the ship or crew.  [4] The sensors will be reset in about a minute.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2010, 10:51:07 am by Rolan7 »
She/they

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2010, 10:43:29 am »

Waiiiit a second... I now have the cube? wow I didnt know that my powers could do that.

Intergrate the cube into my persona abilitys

A bomb?!? I scan as much a I can
« Last Edit: June 14, 2010, 12:13:14 pm by Ochita »
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 14, 2010, 11:59:44 am »

I angerly berate my crewmates on not listening, completely not voicing my suspicions that transcended energy beings are likely to attack soon.

ExKirby

• Bay Watcher
  • A Jump On The Daily Comic Bandwagon.
    • View Profile
    • ExKirby's Generic Randomness
« Reply #38 on: June 14, 2010, 12:07:48 pm »

Find oxygen pack. Because I intend to blow shiz up HARDCORE.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2010, 12:15:40 pm by ExKirby »
Derm would be a Half-Minute Hero boss. YOU HAVE 30 SECONDS TO FUCK HIM UP OR HE DOES IT TO THE ENTIRE WORLD!

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 14, 2010, 12:29:38 pm »

To clarify, you did successfully fire the mass driver on Phobos.  The result was completely unexpected - Phobos was supposed to shatter, not explode in a ball of high-energy particles.

Actions due by midnight again.  The turn may be up tonight, but it looks like I have more luck posting in the morning.

With the Pyrrhus's sensors?  The ones that faced Phobos are blinded.  Would you like to scan Mars, Deimos, both, or something else?
She/they

ExKirby

• Bay Watcher
  • A Jump On The Daily Comic Bandwagon.
    • View Profile
    • ExKirby's Generic Randomness
« Reply #40 on: June 14, 2010, 12:46:30 pm »

Meh, we can still Handlaser Mars.
Derm would be a Half-Minute Hero boss. YOU HAVE 30 SECONDS TO FUCK HIM UP OR HE DOES IT TO THE ENTIRE WORLD!

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 14, 2010, 01:04:25 pm »

Both, please

wolfchild

• Bay Watcher
  • Wyvern Buddy
    • View Profile
Re: Repeated Omnicide RTD (Turn 2: Don't Fear Phobos)
« Reply #42 on: June 14, 2010, 04:13:34 pm »

Order PAL to alphastrike mars, i work on manufuacturing extra ammo for my shoulder mounted launcer (just to let you know, i saw them as mini incendiary missiles)
You really can both sig it.
But... That would break the laws of sigging! We can't have everyone running around with the same quotes. IT MAKES THEM UNFUNNY FASTER!

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: Repeated Omnicide RTD (Turn 3: Instead, Dread Deimos)
« Reply #43 on: June 14, 2010, 06:43:00 pm »

While I do not intend to do more than one turn per day, out of respect for schedules and time zones, everyone's actions were posted so I wrote it up.  If you would like to order PAL, do so before midnight tonight and it'll count for this turn.  Deadline for next turn's actions is not midnight tonight but the midnight after.

You jack in to the Pyrrhus's systems [5].  It is natural, as if the entire ship were your own body.  [1] You step on PAL's toes a bit in the process.  You then scan Mars and Deimos [hidden rolls].  Mars looks normal, but not Deimos.
Deimos is about 6 kilometers in diameter, which is normal.  However, its surface is completely smooth.  Looking closely, you see a bit of debris from Phobos's destruction approach Deimos, only to disappear.  [hidden roll] You spot the same bit of rock on the opposite side of Deimos, it has been teleported!  Such technology does not exist in your time.
[hidden roll] Under it's surface, Deimos is completely honeycombed by small conduits.  [hidden roll] There are faint readings suggesting a running matter-antimatter reactor, yet none of the tell-tale signs of antimatter storage.

That's all you get, if I roll again you might get another 5.  Insane rolls.  Tempting to show them to you.

I angerly berate my crewmates on not listening, completely not voicing my suspicions that transcended energy beings are likely to attack soon.
[6] Warning klaxons begin to sound.  For an instant PAL looks like a shield, then he is again a flaming battleaxe.  "Heroes, to arms!  Unknown entities have boarded, without disrupting the shields or hull!  As terrifying a concept as this is," he is again a shield for a mere instant "try to control your fear, and use it against these foes!"
Sometimes you hate being right.
[3] "Whatever they are, they are currently in the outer ring, near the laser batteries' batteries."
A diagram of the Pyrrhus flashes, showing that it is basically composed of 5 rings (in 2D).  From outer to inner:
1) Hull - armor, lasers, launchers, shield generators.  Also the docking bays (your location)
2) Habitation - living quarters, equipment and food storage, and the command center  (not your location)
3) Secure Storage - The Bombs, collected antimatter, and the Black Cube.  Loads of turrets and alarm systems.
4) Physics - Houses the antimatter reactor and the time-travel device.  Kinda important.
5) Mass Driver - The hollow firing tube at the center of the ship, exposed to space on both sides, plus the accelerators and ammunition.

Find oxygen pack. Because I intend to blow shiz up HARDCORE.
[1] Oxygen packs are in ring 2, Habitation.  You better hope you blow shiz up better than you find oxygen, because stuff is about to try to blow up you.

Order PAL to alphastrike mars, i work on manufuacturing extra ammo for my shoulder mounted launcer (just to let you know, i saw them as mini incendiary missiles)
PAL reminds you that an alphastrike of lasers is unlikely to harm Mars beyond superheating a portion of the surface.  Also, it turns out there's an emergency situation! 
You all may still order PAL to take an action before the deadline at midnight.  You can even laser Mars if you like.
[1] While your shoulder launcher is armed with 2 rockets (Good thing you checked your weapons last turn), you have no means of manufacturing extra ammo.  Maybe one of your friends can help, or you could find some in ring 2, Habitation (and equipment storage).

I tell PAL to mass driver Deimos's antimatter generator, as well as to fight the boarders using energy weapons to disrupt their photonic resonance..
You give the order, and PAL acknowledges.  You do notice Bob (Nirur Tor) and Sirrush (Wolfchild) giving orders of their own.
[4] Unfortunately ring 1 is not equipped with automated security systems - energy and space are dedicated to the weapon and shield systems.  However, PAL has determined that the intruders are likely corporeal, given that some systems in their path have been sliced apart.
PAL currently has limited access to the sensor systems, as Aigas is using them.

Again, if anyone wants to order PAL, just do it before midnight tonight and it will count for this turn.
But please wait until tomorrow to post actual *actions* for turn 4.  Discussion is fine, but it's easier for me if you post your actions tomorrow.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2010, 10:30:39 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Repeated Omnicide RTD (Turn 3: Instead, Dread Deimos)
« Reply #44 on: June 14, 2010, 06:54:16 pm »

Again, if anyone wants to order PAL, just do it before midnight tonight and it will count for this turn.
But please wait until tomorrow to post actual *actions* for turn 4.  Discussion is fine, but it's easier for me if you post your actions tomorrow.
"Pal, retaliate! Fire missiles at Deimos. Analyze the point of teleportation for the Phobos debris, and set the nukes to simultaneously explode just above that point."
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 19