Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Clockwork Noire : An Illustrated Mystery [Updated: 1/15/12]  (Read 5197 times)

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
  • My own avatar creeps me out.
    • View Profile
    • Not even internet famous
Re: Clockwork Noire : An Illustrated Mystery [Questioning Lord Havershaw]
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2012, 03:54:51 am »

Self bump, I have an actual plot and sprites made, I'll be damned if I'll let this die early.

"What was the last time you saw your granddaughter, before she disappeared?"

"I haven't seen her since Winter, but she's been away at school, in Ganston."
"Alright, I assume she lives with you during her off time and didn't arrive when school let out?"
*Cough Cough* *NOD NOD* *Cough Cough*
"Hm.."

>Continue investigation :

Spoiler: Notepad (click to show/hide)

Drawing hands is hard.

and of course i'm posting this at 4 am, so it gets lost in the shuffle again.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 08:04:54 pm by King_of_the_weasels »
Slacker an illustrated story. Actually updated!?

Robocorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2012, 04:02:59 am »

Well, to contribute to there being any further updates I may as well bite.

Some obvious questions would be.

Where was she when you last saw her?
Do you have any enemies who might want to use her as leverage against you?
Did she have any peculiar acquaintances?
If she is your granddaughter then where are her mother and father?
Where did she go to school (boarding school most likely)
Was she suicidally depressed?
Did you have a fight?
Did she have a falling out with anyone important to her?

Some more blunt questions that might concern the readership's ability to drive the story through the mystery portion that Investigator Boone might already know.

What is her name?
What does she look like?
How old is she?
What does she sound like? (Does she have an uppercrust accent or a shipyard drawl?)
Is she famous?
Is she infamous?
Where (specifically) in Clamery did she live before she disappeared?
So many details!

Also a number of important questions regarding the setting. Regarding the level of technology and fantastical elements
relative to the setting. I'll give the lord the benefit of the doubt and assume their photography tech is lower than ours because it's monochrome
(though why not just get a portrait painted if you're a lord? I'll assume for the juxtaposition of rapiers that guns does not refer to modern assault weaponry
but that still puts us anywhere from muskets to flintlock pistols to tommyguns. Apart from that there's not much context (I'm not sure when they invented wallpaper)
So here's a few overthinking questions that Jack would obviously be aware of.

Are there internal combustion (or equivalent) vehicles?
Is there heavier than air aircraft?
Is there long distance communication (telegraph? Radio?)
Is technology consistent globally?
Is there clockwork crap in the china equivalent country?
Are there clock powered space freighters sailing the aether to mars firing black powder cannonballs at vicious space pirates with clockwork cybernetic parts?
If lightbulbs exist why isn't everything run on electricity instead of gears?
If the gears aren't turning by steam what is turning them? and if they are, how isn't this steampunk?

I think that's more than two, hope you have fun maybe answering some of them.

HAHA you ninja'd my fifty billion questions!

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2012, 04:20:15 am »

Ok, to sum up the previous post, just get these questions answered:

Get a description of her as much as possible. A picture would be great, like a photo we could borrow.
Get her full name, as well as any previous names she might have had.
Get her mother and fathers details.
Get the name and location of her school, as well as her teachers if he knows them.
Ask about the relations between him and the missing girl, as well as between him and her parents.
Ask about enemies that he or she might have, or anyone that would do this sort of thing to her.
Ask if she had any strange friends/know any peculiar people.
Ask how she was when he last saw her, specifically mood, health, medications, therapy/counsulling she was attending, her doctors details, her financial status/where we would find someone who could tell us about that, as well as any arguements she had recently.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2012, 04:28:14 am »

And to add up to the above post:

Does she have any dangerous hobbies that she likes? And was she out on something pertaining to a hobby-related activity at the time of her disappearance?

If somebody told the old guy that his granddaughter disappeared, instead of figuring it out himself, can he give a name of the person who gave the info?

Does her parents, or the old guy himself, have enemies that have some kind of vendetta against them/him?

And demand for a photo of her if possible. That should be top priority.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2012, 05:00:53 am »

Well, to contribute to there being any further updates I may as well bite.

Some obvious questions would be.

Where was she when you last saw her?
Do you have any enemies who might want to use her as leverage against you? He'll ask this.
Did she have any peculiar acquaintances? he wouldn't really know, since she's away most of the time.
If she is your granddaughter then where are her mother and father? This one as well.
Where did she go to school (boarding school most likely) will be asked.
Was she suicidally depressed? this and the ones below will be asked
Did you have a fight?
Did she have a falling out with anyone important to her?

Some more blunt questions that might concern the readership's ability to drive the story through the mystery portion that Investigator Boone might already know.

What is her name? Lilith Havershaw, as evident by his notes.
What does she look like? Photo's on the wall, but he hasn't examined it enough to make a drawing in his notepad
How old is she? 12-14
What does she sound like? (Does she have an uppercrust accent or a shipyard drawl?) no way to describe, but  she would sound formal over informal
Is she famous? Partially she is the granddaughter to a lord, she's known to high society.
Is she infamous? No, not really
Where (specifically) in Clamery did she live before she disappeared? she lived with her grandfather in tghe Calmery capitol of Calton, when she wasn't at a boarding school in Ganston, a largish academic city.
So many details!

Also a number of important questions regarding the setting. Regarding the level of technology and fantastical elements
relative to the setting. I'll give the lord the benefit of the doubt and assume their photography tech is lower than ours because it's monochrome
(though why not just get a portrait painted if you're a lord? I'll assume for the juxtaposition of rapiers that guns does not refer to modern assault weaponry
but that still puts us anywhere from muskets to flintlock pistols to tommyguns. Apart from that there's not much context (I'm not sure when they invented wallpaper)
So here's a few overthinking questions that Jack would obviously be aware of.

Are there internal combustion (or equivalent) vehicles? There are trains, but they aren't run by combustion.
Is there heavier than air aircraft? Nothing that could carry a person, but they understand rotary lift, or whatever helicopter flight is called
Is there long distance communication (telegraph? Radio?) Telegraph yes, and a primitive form of fax, pretty much they type it out and it sends signals like a telegraph to another typewriter (probably next to the telegraph) so that they can send forms, such as criminal records, or anything else that would need to be rechecked.  Phonographs also exist.
Is technology consistent globally? Through most of the "European" countries yes, though it's much more prevalent in Calmery. Parasala doesn't really make anything besides silks, and nice things, but they trade most of that to Calmery.  Trains run throughout most of the world.
Is there clockwork crap in the china equivalent country? The "asian" countries are mostly shrouded in mystery.
Are there clock powered space freighters sailing the aether to mars firing black powder cannonballs at vicious space pirates with clockwork cybernetic parts? no.
If lightbulbs exist why isn't everything run on electricity instead of gears? They don't exist, every light source is gas powered, or a candle.
If the gears aren't turning by steam what is turning them? and if they are, how isn't this steampunk? Everythings wound, like a watch, or has those big weight things like a grandfather/cookoo clock. Here

I think that's more than two, hope you have fun maybe answering some of them.

HAHA you ninja'd my fifty billion questions!

And to add up to the above post:

Does she have any dangerous hobbies that she likes? And was she out on something pertaining to a hobby-related activity at the time of her disappearance? He wouldn't know, he sent someone to pick her up, and they returned saying she was missing

If somebody told the old guy that his granddaughter disappeared, instead of figuring it out himself, can he give a name of the person who gave the info? You can ask who the "driver" was.

Does her parents, or the old guy himself, have enemies that have some kind of vendetta against them/him? You'll see

And demand for a photo of her if possible. That should be top priority. There's one on the wall, but you'll just sketch it, if the girls dead and something happened to you, it'd be pretty shitty if the old guy didn't have a photo of the girl

I was gonna tell you guys this in narrative, but your guy would know this stuff anyway.  Lord Havershaw, is a gunsmith, guns aren't "factory" made, but he does have quite a few smithies, Havershaw is equivalent to say Winchester.

Also there was a war between Calmery and the "russian" neighboring country of Ursale, which lasted about 7 years and ended 5 years ago, Boone was a sergeant and fought in the last 2 years of it, and is 26-30 years old.

Stuff about guns.  Guns made in Calmery, by Havershaw since he owns most of the gun smithies, are revolvers, all types are, pistols and rifles, Havershaw doesn't produce shotguns, but they do exist, and are mostly double barreled (or single shot).  Bullets however aren't like they are here, they aren't metal jacketed, Bullets usually come in round cylindrical paper package, with blasting cap at one end, gunpowder in the center, and a round shot at the end, at least for revolver type weapons.

Stuff about countries. 

Calmery is British/American/Irish.  It's people are Caucasian with dark brunettes, but sometimes they get more lighter browns when you go toward the Ursale border.  Culturally, they are the ones who invent most of the "clockpunk" stuff, and are Democratic Republic (senate/parliament). Sashs worn around the waist is pretty much equivalent to wearing a tie.  Boone is wearing a jack of plate over a maroon long sleeve shirt, and a trilby with a light blue feather in it.

Ursale is Russia/Norway/Bavarian, they are pale with blond hair. Culturally, they are the least advanced of the 3 "european" countries, do to them being mostly "impoverished" by their royalty.  They are very nationalist, and despite their short comings, believe that Ursale things are the best.  They have a large quantity of precious gems and metals do to their location close to a large quantity of mountains, most of their land is covered with snow, though they don't trade them away as much as they should/could and instead keep them for themselves, usually in the form of big goddy belt buckles.  They also utilize furs in their clothing quite a bit.

Parasala is French/Persia, they are dark haired and fairly dark skinned. Culturally, they are much more trade savvy, as they are the link between the European countries and the Asian ones. I haven't drawn one or really put much thought into them, so that's pretty much all I can tell you about them right now. They're culture involves hiding your face in public, in both men and women, though it is mostly just they're lower face, and they leave there scalps exposed.

The unnamed Asian places.  All I can tell you is that they are 1 big empire, and they have katanas instead of rapiers.

There are other places across the seas, but are irrelevant to the current mystery.

pretty much all this is subject to change.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2012, 07:19:46 am by King_of_the_weasels »

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2012, 05:13:50 pm »

Okay let's finish up these questions.

"Where did she go to school, exactly?"
"Rothberry, east of the University."
"Who did she stay with while she attended class?"
"Rothberry is a boarding school.." *COUGH COUGH COUGH* "She stayed in one of the dormitories."

"How does she get to and from the school, back to Calton? Train?"
"Yes, but not alone, I send someone to pick her up and accompany her each time."
"Who was it that went to pick her up?"
"That would be Arthur, my steward." *Cough* "He returned three days ago, uh.. two days late, without her. He was quite distressed." *COUGH COUGH*
"Understood, I'll probably get a statement from him shortly. By I have a few more questions, if you don't mind."
*COUGH COUGH COUGH* "Yes of course." *COUGH COUGH*

"Is this a recent photo of your granddaughter?"
*COUGH* "It was taken this winter, It just arrived a few weeks ago."

*Boone makes a quick sketch of the portrait*

"Has she been having any problems at home?  Do you get along? What about the staff?"
"She was a darling child, polite, modest.  She never put up much of a fuss, so she got along fine with the staff." *COUGH COUGH* "I've been bedridden since last fall,  but she would come in and serve me soup or anything else she whipped up for me, she's young but is quite the cook, heh and we'd play games, and some times I'd read to her.. heh.. sometimes she'd read to me.." *Clears throat* "Yes, well you have to find out who took her."

"So you believe she was kidnapped?  Is there anyone who would wish you or her ill? Have you heard from the hostage takers?"
"I own a near monopoly on gunsmiths in Calmery, I supply the military, the guard, and civilians. I've been cursed in more toasts over lost ones then I'd care to count. Not to mention the recent war."

"Yes of course, but I meant anyone more personal."
"Most of my enemies know not to mess with a man who makes murder devices for a living." *COUGH COUGH*
"What about her parents? Are they still alive?"
"Nay, her mother died giving birth, and her father.." *COUGH COUGH* "Her father took an artillery shell in the war."
"I'm sorry to hear that, I lost my brother in the war as well."
"Older?"
"No.. no he was just a kid, barely old enough to serve. He died in a train bombing."
"Such a shame, did you serve?"
"Yes sir, First Sergeant, 42nd infantry. Still have my Havershaw Service Revalator."
"Sergeant huh?" *COUGH* "Lead any men into battle?"
"I did."
*COUGH COUGH* "Lose any?"
"I did..."
"I sorry."
"Don't be, You just made the guns, you didn't order the men using them... if we could continue the questions about your granddaughter?"
"Yes, my apologies."

"So you believe this is a political kidnapping?"
"I believe so, but I have nothing to go off it." *COUGH*
"How do you know she hasn't just run away?  It's quite common in wealthy families.  Has she mentioned  any new friends in any of your correspondence?"
"Well.. come to mention it she did say she met a 'Handsome Rascal' of a boy who lived in Ganston."
"Any hints at were this boy may live exactly?"
"I have no idea, somewhere near the school?  She said he didn't live in the dormitories. You don't think she eloped with him do you? She's only 13."
"I doubt it, but I may be worth meeting with him if they were close."
*COUGH* "Maybe he saw who took her."
"That would certainly make my job easier."

"I believe that's all I have for you, if I have any further questions, I'll reach you by teletyper."
"Are you headed out for Ganston?"
"I should be, but I have some questions for your steward first."
"I've informed him ahead of time to open a line of credit for you, to cover any expenses."
"Thank you, that will help greatly, I'll try to not rack up a high bill."
*COUGH COUGH* "You rack up whatever you need to find my grandaughter."
"Goodbye, Lord Havershaw, I wish you good health."
"Thank you, goodbye Investigator Boone."

You exit Lord Havershaw's Bedroom and re-enter the hall. His steward Arthur Devly stands by a portrait of Lord Havershaw.

> Action:

Whew *wipes sweat from brow*  I'll add the missing character sketches to the notebook later.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 10:35:18 pm by King_of_the_weasels »

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
Re: Clockwork Noire : An Illustrated Mystery [Updated: 1/8/12]
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2012, 12:10:04 am »

>Comment on his necklace, and then launch into an exhaustive questioning regarding the entirety of his time working for Lord Havershaw, how he came to be employed, what his duties are, his thoughts on Lilith, what he does in his spare time (besides abduct young girls) and what he did before working for Havershaw.
Also, gently prod forth information about his ancestry, and listen for any traces of a strange accent.
He could be a dirty Ursalese (Ursalan?) dog!

I like how this is going! :) Especially the outfits... Sort of steampunk-ish, but sortof not. Well. Mostly steampunkish. Okay, you got me, I just like those spiffing waist/belt-scarves! :P Perhaps I shall have to acquire one...
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 12:13:26 am by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2012, 11:07:18 am »

>Comment on his necklace, and then launch into an exhaustive questioning regarding the entirety of his time working for Lord Havershaw, how he came to be employed, what his duties are, his thoughts on Lilith, what he does in his spare time (besides abduct young girls) and what he did before working for Havershaw.
Also, gently prod forth information about his ancestry, and listen for any traces of a strange accent.

I like how this is going! :) Especially the outfits... Sort of steampunk-ish, but sortof not. Well. Mostly steampunkish. Okay, you got me, I just like those spiffing waist/belt-scarves! :P Perhaps I shall have to acquire one...

There sashes.

Also the author of this game is not responsible for anyone getting the crap beat out of them for wearing a sash in public.

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2012, 08:02:43 pm »

an update

"That's a mighty fine charm you have there Mr. Devly."
"Why thaaank you, it was a gift from my dear mother, shortly before..."
"TELL ME WHAT YOU KNOW ABOUT MS. HAVERSHAW'S DISAPPEARANCE!

"Wh..wh.. whaaat are you insinuating!?"

"Nothing, sorry, I got a bit carried away, but if you don't mind I do have some questions for you."

>Begin Questioning :

« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 08:06:25 pm by King_of_the_weasels »

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
Re: Clockwork Noire : An Illustrated Mystery [Updated: 1/9/12]
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2012, 08:55:49 pm »

Bahaha, oh man that was perfect. :P
Anyway, I suppose most of my questions could still be asked, unless we already know the answer and I didn't notice...

NOTES:(Arthur Devly) Has funny eyebrows. Possible indicator of untruthfulness when questioned?
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Hubris Incalculable

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2012, 09:10:55 pm »

NOTES: (Lord Havershaw) Ill and bed-ridden. Illness affected mind?
Code: (Bay 12 Lower Boards IRC) [Select]
server = irc.darkmyst.net
channel = #bay12lb

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2012, 09:58:00 pm »

Bahaha, oh man that was perfect. :P
Anyway, I suppose most of my questions could still be asked, unless we already know the answer and I didn't notice...

NOTES:(Arthur Devly) Has funny eyebrows. Possible indicator of untruthfulness when questioned?

Most of the questions you wanted to ask are inconsequential, seeing as not one of them had to do with his trip to pick up Lilith, which should be one of your first questions.

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Clockwork Noire : An Illustrated Mystery [Updated: 1/15/12]
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2012, 10:29:31 pm »

I was going to just let this die, but meh.  I got the sprites, update anyway.

"What exactly is it you do for Lord Havershaw?"
"I'm his steward, I take care of him and the estate, I'm also sort of the de facto leader of the rest of the staff, if  I may say."

"Uh huh.. how long have you been working for the Havershaw family?"
"All my life."
"Could you be a bit more specific?
"21 years? I started when I was 23 I believe."
"23?  What did you do before?"
"I was in school."
"What were you in school for?  I didn't know they gave degrees in.. butlery."
"I was in medical school."
"I assume that didn't pan out."
"N..No.  What does this have to do with Ms. Havershaw's disappearance?"
"I just want to get all the facts."

"When did you first meet Lilith?"
"I've known her since she was born."
"Did you get along?"
"I believe so, she's never caused me a fuss, and it's my job to get along with her."
"Would you say you were close?"
"Hm.. not really, Lord Havershaw filled the father role after her father passed, I'm simply her steward."
"Did you get along with her father?  Before he passed?"
"I'd rather not speak ill of the deceased."
"I'll take that as a no."
"I'll tell you this, Lord Havershaw took up the mantle of father, long before her father passed."
"What about her mother?"
"I had served her at dinners, but I did not know her, she passed giving birth you see."
"Were they not married long?"
"Let's just say it was a rushed marriage."
"Would you say they were in love?"
"Without a doubt, He wouldn't of married her if he didn't."
"Was the mother born into money?"
"I couldn't say, but I doubt it.  I didn't recognize her surname."
"What was her surname, exactly?"
"I really couldn't say."

> Continue Investigation:

There I answered some questions, not necessarily important ones, but we'll see.

Also he is clearly not Ursalian, or not enough to matter.  Accent doesn't match, he dresses Calmery.  His hair and complexion also don't match a stereotypical Ursalian.

Robocorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2012, 08:25:14 pm »

Now that his heiress is gone you must think for your own future.
>Dress in drag and attempt to seduce Lord Haverhshaw

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2012, 08:53:35 pm »

Now that his heiress is gone you must think for your own future.
>Dress in drag and attempt to seduce Lord Haverhshaw

Looks like we have a funny guy, how about you tell me some jokes.. funny guy.
Pages: 1 [2] 3