Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 148 149 [150] 151 152 ... 636

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 683732 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [I spoiled my pants]
« Reply #2235 on: April 09, 2016, 05:53:34 pm »

I know about pouring some tasty beer into chili or something, but replacing all the water with beer just seems excessive :P  Like, I don't know if the alcohol would even all evaporate out at that level.

And I mostly tried mixing potatoes with noodles or rice.  I disliked the taste in both cases.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2236 on: April 09, 2016, 06:28:17 pm »

Ah... unfortunate, heh. Those are actually two of my higher up combos. Bake a potato, cut it in half, crosshatch and drizzle a bit of teriyaki sauce, wait a few seconds for it to set in. Chop it up, add to the other dish, possibly with a bit of cheese (particularly for the rice -- cheese and rice go together amazingly, in my experience) and/or meat, season as desired with spices and whatnot. Also have found mashed potatoes make an excellent thickener for noodles and suchlike. Can make it easier to eat (less splatter) or add stuff that doesn't mix well with hot water (like cheese :V), heh.

Also occasionally mix noodles and rice, heh. The teriyaki beef bowls y'buy where'er go together wonderfully with rice, t'me. Tend to do that more for leftovers (say I'll have a bit of rice left from last meal, but not really enough for a full meal -- throw a bowl o'noodles in it!), but still. Also absolutely love the taste of mac & cheese and mashed potatoes, makes the meal a lot more heavy/fulfilling, yeah. Or rice instead*. Buncha' other stuff like that, really. My default low effort cooking is "Cook two things, put them in a bowl, stir."

Still, taste is taste, and if it doesn't work for yeh it doesn't work. Tis nothin' wrong with that.

*I actually have a breakfast rice mixture that's built around that. Take eggy rice (rice with an egg or two put in it in the last 3-5 minutes of cooking; easily the simplest way to add egg to rice and is friggin' glorious.) and mac & cheese, cook 'em up, stick 'em in a bowl with bacon or whatev', stir well. I likes it, and most of the family has given positive review. Can also leave out the M&C, but at that point it's really just eggy rice with breakfast meats. Not that there's anything wrong with that, as it's delicious, of course.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2237 on: April 10, 2016, 04:32:06 am »

Anyone wanna move in with me?
We have a pretty nice place, not too close to the city but not too far either; close to public transport, big backyard(which the room has a decent view into) generally comfortable. Also most of us are pretty cool.
Annnd it's really cheap.

...I don't know, I'm supposed to be writing an ad for it. Not really sure what to say.
Even if you don't want to move in with me, some ad-writing advice probably wouldn't go astray. :P
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2238 on: April 10, 2016, 06:44:48 am »

I mean, I would if I was in Australia... But I'm not. I'm as much not in Australia as it is possible to be.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2239 on: April 10, 2016, 07:02:51 am »

Totally would, but I'm kinda in the wrong country.

:(
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #2240 on: April 10, 2016, 08:45:34 am »

...I don't know, I'm supposed to be writing an ad for it. Not really sure what to say.
Even if you don't want to move in with me, some ad-writing advice probably wouldn't go astray. :P

Well here's an advice.
Imagine a total douchebag. Sort of a cunt you wouldn't let near your place. Picture him nice and good, come up with his most distinctive character traits and habits that generally bugger you consistently in others.
Now, when writing an ad, mention these traits as intolerable qualities for potential tenant.

Again, not in Australia m'self.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 08:50:08 am by Comrade P. »
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2241 on: April 10, 2016, 08:52:09 am »

What are you looking for exactly? A flatmate? I mean, just present yourself, put a few pics of the place and it should be enough.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2242 on: April 10, 2016, 09:45:49 am »

Well here's an advice.
Imagine a total douchebag. Sort of a cunt you wouldn't let near your place. Picture him nice and good, come up with his most distinctive character traits and habits that generally bugger you consistently in others.
Now, when writing an ad, mention these traits as intolerable qualities for potential tenant.
"All bogans, chavs, gopniks, and/or nacos discouraged. If you consider a tracksuit to be formal wear, we have no place for you here." =P

You shouldn't need to go into any deep detail in the ad. Basic stuff like "should be fairly clean, should respect others' personal space", etc. are generally sufficient, along with any basic deal-breakers if they're unique to your place (i.e. "should be okay with me practicing drums at 3am" or "under no circumstances will you be allowed to use the indoor toilet"). Going into more detail generally happens when you meet potential housemates face-to-face.
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #2243 on: April 10, 2016, 09:59:55 am »

"All bogans, chavs, gopniks, and/or nacos discouraged. If you consider a tracksuit to be formal wear, we have no place for you here." =P

I keep hearing about gopniks from people from (presumably) outside of former USSR and nearby Eastern European countries. Are they out there? Are they everywhere? Please tell me, I'm concerned.
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2244 on: April 10, 2016, 10:23:39 am »

Yea, where-so-ever there be name-brand clothing with large logos, and flashy gold chains, and Tall Boys of crappy lager, then there too shall be gopniks  O_O

(I dunno; I'm mostly just being classist and abusing this list)
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2245 on: April 10, 2016, 10:41:27 am »

Well here's an advice.
I suppose one could do that, but that runs the risk of sounding quite rude.
Also it would probably be a rather broad spectrum of people, especially within the category of folks who might be looking for a place around here... in fact, almost all of the ones who showed up today probably fell into the 'intolerable' category, haha. I think we might have one good candidate, though.
Still, it feels kind of disappointing to only have one person to choose from. I think it needed to be advertised better, we should have been flooded with enquiries.

What are you looking for exactly? A flatmate? I mean, just present yourself, put a few pics of the place and it should be enough.
The main problem is trying to illustrate the level of PARTY they would need to be okay with, without being too gauche and vulgar (not to mention incriminating!) about it.
Also: no neat freaks. :P
Unless you're the kind of neat freak that's okay with tirelessly cleaning things up and isn't eventually going to go berserk.
We aren't even that messy, really.

A lot of our candidates so far asked how much noise they could expect, and said they would need peace and quiet in order to study hard.
Also one religious guy got all passive-aggressively disapproving of our liquor cabinet. I don't think my friend did a particularly great job of writing the ad...
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

LARD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2246 on: April 10, 2016, 05:32:36 pm »

I don't mean to interrupt greatorder like this, so don't forget about his post, but I had an idea for a perpetual motion machine and I can't find the problem with it.  I know that there is one because perpetual motion is impossible, but it's been bugging me. 

So you set up a U tube with water in it and a water permeable membrane in the bottom.  Dump a bunch of solute (glucose) in one side and watch the water rise on that side according to the laws of osmosis. Then have a pipe with another semipermeable membrane that flows at an angle to the other side of the tube so that water can flow back in accordance with the laws of gravity. This creates circular flow that can be used to generate power.  Where is the issue?  A quick MSP image can be seen here.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So what's the problem with this?
Obama is not middle eastern pacifist who gave out free health care, You're thinking of Jesus

Quote from: God
Nietzsche is dead and I killed him
Quote from: Douglas Adams
Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2247 on: April 10, 2016, 05:36:37 pm »

@ GO: ... try taking the image out of the text box? Text wrapping like you're talking about shifts the normal text around an image shoved in the middle of it. Don't recall if it works for individual text boxes, and I don't have a fully functioning word to double check. You should be able to manage something if you don't try to couple the box and image together, though.

Also, the problem looks like it'd be either friction or state change of the solute/water or somethin'. Maybe it'd work with a frictionless surface or a perfectly closed system, but s'far as I'm aware we don't really have either of those, heh.
Ask not!
Ask!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2248 on: April 10, 2016, 05:52:55 pm »

Ah. That... sounds like you would have been a lot better off using publisher instead of word, if you've got it.

Though yeah, send to back should have dealt with the image, and then you could have put the text box over in the lower right. Something along those lines, anyway. Would have been able to give better directions if I actually had word sitting beside me, but I've never bothered to activate (and I don't think I have the key, regardless) the one on this computer, heh.

Still, if you've got it working, good. Sorry I couldn't help y'more :-\
Ask not!
Ask!

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2249 on: April 10, 2016, 06:22:28 pm »

I don't mean to interrupt greatorder like this, so don't forget about his post, but I had an idea for a perpetual motion machine and I can't find the problem with it.  I know that there is one because perpetual motion is impossible, but it's been bugging me. 

So you set up a U tube with water in it and a water permeable membrane in the bottom.  Dump a bunch of solute (glucose) in one side and watch the water rise on that side according to the laws of osmosis. Then have a pipe with another semipermeable membrane that flows at an angle to the other side of the tube so that water can flow back in accordance with the laws of gravity. This creates circular flow that can be used to generate power.  Where is the issue?  A quick MSP image can be seen here.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So what's the problem with this?

Wouldn't it stop flowing and reach equilibrium after a fairly short time after adding the solute?
Pages: 1 ... 148 149 [150] 151 152 ... 636