Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarfs not drinking "non dwarfs" alcohol?  (Read 939 times)

Gormaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarfs not drinking "non dwarfs" alcohol?
« on: August 22, 2012, 12:14:46 pm »

Heya,

As the title suggests I have a problem in my fort with dwarfs refusing drinking any "non dwarf" drinks like Wild Strawberry Wine, Longland beer etc.
This is causing quite an issue since I embarked with a Civ that does not have access to Plump Helmet and I am relying on above ground crops for quite a bit of my drinks.

As for now I have 70+ more drinks left in my stock and can see some barrels full of Longland beer and co in my food pile.

But I have a constant trickle of dwarfs running outside my fort to drink from the river.

I checked everything I could think of, the pile is accessible (they drink all the "dwarf drink" from the same pile without problem), burrows are not the issue, I dont see anything to restrict drinking from the Kitchen menu etc.
I dont have anyone or anything injured in the fort either.

Anything obvious I may have missed? (I did not play DF for a while so may have missed new features or something...)

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: Dwarfs not drinking "non dwarfs" alcohol?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2012, 12:15:48 pm »

The drinks aren't forbidden, are they?
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Gormaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2012, 12:25:46 pm »

The barrels themselves are not, they were made by my normal brewer dwarf (who makes all the other drink in my fort) using the crops farmed by my normal farmers dwarfs (who again make all the other crops)

Bartinyou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2012, 12:34:28 pm »

How many dwarfs do you have and how much booze do you have?

Gormaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2012, 12:41:26 pm »

Overall I am at 146 dwarfs (limit at 119 with lots of kids/babies running around).

From the stock right now I am at 
Dwarven beer: 15
Dwarven rum: 20
Prickle Berry wine: 20
Strawberry wine: 98
Longland beer: 22
Sewer beer: 25
fisher berry wine: 81

The beer/rum have been just made with my few remaining "dwarven crops"so right now they are all rushing to the food pile to drink these.
But I know as soon as these are gone the line of dwarves going to the River for "Drink" will be back...

So really nothing specific to tell them they can drink human/elven-crops made drinks?

Canisaur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2012, 12:52:16 pm »

Keep in mind only one dwarf can drink from a barrel at a time.  Your total drinks are about 281, and assuming each barrel has about 10 drinks in it (which some of them might have up to 20, so 10 is conservative), you've only got a maximum 28 barrels to drink out of.  That might still leave you with a small trickle of dwarves going out to drink from the river.

EDIT:  You can get a better idea of how many dwarves can drink at once if you look at the 'Barrels' tab in your stock menu and count the number of drink barrels.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2012, 12:58:28 pm »

In other words, your dwarves are drinking the alcohol - the problem is that you have so many thirsty dwarves that there aren't enough booze barrels for all of them, so the rest are being forced to drink from the river.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Canisaur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2012, 01:06:04 pm »

Also, the reason why you see the rush of dwarves going to drink your newly-created booze is that dwarves will wait longer after they become thirsty before they will finally drink water instead, so that buffer of dwarves who are 'thirsty', but not 'I'm-about-to-die-of-thirst thirsty' will all run for the new barrels when they become available.

Gormaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2012, 01:10:49 pm »

Zzzzz goddamn you guys are right, I do have drinks but mostly stocked by 20ies in barrels so not enough barrels for the number of dwarfs I have!

Sorry if I thought it was something about the non dwarfs alcohol, it looked like this way because it was due to the number of dwarfs rising that I had to start relying on above ground made drinks... and that's when my conga line to the river started.
Since I didnt see the berry-like drink go down much I thought they werent touching it for some reason (again, been a while since I played so still getting used to all the new stuff)

Now that explains it, I need to stop making raised spikes out of wood for my traps and start making more barrels :)

Sorry for the dumb thread and thanks very much for the quick replies.

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2012, 01:29:40 pm »

That happened to my partner once back when she still played.  she couldn't get them to drink the damn booze and was tired of them griping about the nasty water (I can sympathize with the dwarfs--I know water is better for me, but I'd rather have soda!) and she ragequit  after telling them they were idiots and "there's plenty of goddamned effing booze!"  Later, we figured out what had happened, too late for her fort, though.
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.