Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Friskdingon (Waitlist open)  (Read 3971 times)

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
Re: Friskdingon (Iron age village simulator)
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2024, 05:09:33 pm »

Please include your current dynastic stats sheet with your turn.
Note: Children produce half of what adults do from ages 11 to 18 (and still eat 5 food units,) from 18 they are adults.
It's not mentioned (yet) in the OP, but explorers do not consume food while exploring.
Clan Riley Turn 1:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I interpret the year 8 action to be performed as "instructive" by Brooks.
Spoiler:  turn summary (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Turn 1 Plan (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Sheikh Family (click to show/hide)

Clan Eisnar Turn 1:

Spoiler:  Caesar Dynasty (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Aderland Dynasty Sheet (click to show/hide)
I don't know how pottery is used to preserve food (The way I see it, you can either mix it with salt/sugar, dry it or smoke it. You can then put it in a clay pot for safe keeping, but that's neither here nor there)

General town events:
A few more families arrive and one leaves. There are now ~50 NPCs in the village. Some are willing to purchase houses/farming plots for cash.
Village requires a chief.
Most of the population is engaged in logging (even if none of you are) but due to the low numbers of population this has not affected the forestedness of the local woods (logging remains at -0 skill.) A large percentage of the food is still imported.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2024, 05:54:54 pm »

Your maths for food consumption missed out the 15 produced from hunting, which would've saved a handful of Coppers.

A few questions: What does it cost to find a wife/husband? Are you interested in tracking things like tools, work stations, etc? How much does the typical field and Farmer produce in a year?

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2024, 06:19:19 pm »

Your maths for food consumption missed out the 15 produced from hunting, which would've saved a handful of Coppers.
you are right. let's remove, say, 18 coppers from your debt.
A few questions: What does it cost to find a wife/husband? Are you interested in tracking things like tools, work stations, etc? How much does the typical field and Farmer produce in a year?
Marrying a commoner is free*. Marrying into the nobility could get expensive.
You are assumed to posses basic tools needed for your job(s). If not, I'm sure someone will lend you one. If you manage to produce (find?) an artifact of some sort I will track it.
Under ideal conditions a field yields 12 units food. A competent farmer with average luck will produce 20 units of food per year from 2 fields. An expert farmer with utmost luck will produce a maximum of 35 food from 3 fields. Conversely even a novice farmer will produce ~10 food per year from just 1 field.

(*) obviously you are expected to own property and have a profession, otherwise no one will marry you, but there's no cost outside of that.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Oakrose905

• Bay Watcher
  • A big nerd for designing things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2024, 06:22:17 pm »

Aderland Dynasty Plan Part 2 (10 Years)
Conrad
Year 1: Explore (Quarry/Clay Focus, Using dry rations)
Year 2: Explore (Quarry/Clay Focus)
Year 3: Explore (Quarry/Clay Focus)
Year 4: Claim Fields (if successful, puts Aderland Dynasty at 4 total fields, unless the clearing skill could add more)
Year 5: Farm
Year 6: Farm
Year 7: Build (Small Workshop)
Year 8: Build (Small Workshop)
Year 9: Build (Small Workshop)
Year 10: Explore (No Focus)

Amelia:
Year 1: Forage
Year 2: Forage
Year 3: Forage
Year 4: Have Baby
Year 7: Farm
Year 8: Experiment with Food Preservation
Year 9: Forage
Year 10: Work (Pottery) if clay deposit is found. Otherwise, Farm

Jurgen (Boy, Aged 10)
Year 7: Farm
Year 8: Build (Small Workshop)
Year 9: Build (Small Workshop)
Year 10: Farm

Idea for Small Workshop: General purpose workshop for crafting skills, maybe gives a +1 to any crafting skill when used?

Spoiler: Aderland Dynasty Sheet (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 09, 2024, 06:56:25 pm by Oakrose905 »

Oakrose905

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2024, 06:26:59 pm »

I don't know how pottery is used to preserve food (The way I see it, you can either mix it with salt/sugar, dry it or smoke it. You can then put it in a clay pot for safe keeping, but that's neither here nor there)

Also for this, the idea was to make pots to keep dried foods in or such. As i didn't know how the food system worked (aka if there was a food rotting/lost factor that we needed to worry about), but it worked out so we're good!

Also also, is the "learning from parents" action ok for Jurgen? I assumed that they would maybe be able to learn more at a further reduced production (instead of making half what they normally would, maybe just 1/4th?) if they focused on just learning how to do something.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2024, 06:29:16 pm »

Year 1: Preserve Food (Dry Rations) for Conrad's Exploration.
Now that you invented it, "preserve food" is a free action. but it costs 15 food units. You may continue your experiments to gain a better bonus or a lower food cost.

Learn from parents (Farming)
You don't need to do this. Children learn by doing. You may send an adult to "instruct" (-1 skill level for adult, but faster learning for child/other student) them though.

Oakrose905

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2024, 06:42:28 pm »

Modified/fixed it! Please tell me if the idea for the small workshop is ok! Just testing the waters and seeing what all we can do and come up with!

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2024, 06:49:34 pm »

Also, children count as 1/2 labor so either Conrad needs to do 3 years or Jurgen needs to do 4.

Edit: missed your explanation for workshop. Yeah, a dedicated building to work in/store your tools for +1 crafting is acceptable. I will however only permit 1 person to use the workshop at a time (year). If they are instructing, others may be present, but they won't get the bonus.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2024, 06:58:19 pm by a1s »

Oakrose905

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2024, 06:54:18 pm »

The small workshop would possibly give a +1 to any crafting skill? That or maybe increases output? and gotcha, I'll fix it!

UristMcRiley

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2024, 08:42:18 pm »

Year Two:

Clan Riley

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2024, 12:44:37 am »

Alright, how much are NPCs willing to pay for land plots and/or buildings, and are there any other buildings aside from houses at this stage? What's the cost of hiring assistance for building projects and the like?

Addendum; What is the maximum amount of fields a farmer can tend to anyway? And how much do oxen/cattle cost to import to the village?

Finally, how *do* we pick a chief exactly?
« Last Edit: April 10, 2024, 04:06:37 am by Taricus »
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2024, 04:24:19 am »

Spoiler: Turn 2 Plan (click to show/hide)

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2024, 08:46:23 am »

Alright, how much are NPCs willing to pay for land plots and/or buildings, and are there any other buildings aside from houses at this stage? What's the cost of hiring assistance for building projects and the like?

Addendum; What is the maximum amount of fields a farmer can tend to anyway? And how much do oxen/cattle cost to import to the village?

Finally, how *do* we pick a chief exactly?
A plot of land, being largely fungible, will go for about 1.5 silver, give or take a copper.
Wooden houses are more diverse, and depending on their quality and your "trader" skill can go from 5 silver to 1 gold.
A competent laborer can be hired for 2 silver/year. A complete rookie could be had for food (10 units.)
We've already established that workshops exist- they give +1 to craft checks. We don't currently have a blacksmith in our community, but a smithy is a more complicated building requiring stones for the furnace and 5 man-years to build. Other building ideas are:
  • Common hall- a village hall for people to gather in, 10 man-years to build
  • Hunter's  Lodge- a house out in the wilderness for hunters to stay in (+1 to hunter skill), 4 man-years to build
  • Stone house - a better version of a house, fit for a minor noble/chief, requires access to stones (through a quarry or a merchant arrangement), 10 man-years to build
  • come up with your own and we can discuss what its good for and what it costs!
As I mentioned earlier, a farmer can tend to a maximum of 3 fields (though 2 is more usual.)

Cattle:
A mature ox will set you back about 1.5 gold and will last for 10 years. It allows a family to plow up to 10 fields/year, however as they still need to be weeded, watered and harvested the actual effect is the doubling of your usual output up to 120 units of food/year/ox. 2-3 farmers can take advantage of this.
A mature Cow is worth 1 gold, and (provided someone in the village will lend you a bull) will birth a calf every year for 10 years.
A Bull is worth 1 gold, if you want to buy one yourself, and will last for 20 years.
Each cow/bull/calf/ox needs a fallow field or a grassland to herd on per year.
Up to 10 cattle can be overseen by 1 rancher. If you're bad at it, animals will be injured/stolen by wolves.
Cows provide milk worth 3 food units / year.
Eating a calf provides 5 food units worth of meat, but can be sold for ~1 silver.
Grown cows, bulls and oxen provide 10 food units when they die. (but the meat is not as tasty as calf meat)

Village events, like chief elections happen in free form- tell me how you'd like to handle them and we will.
For example there are currently 2 NPC candidates (though players can and should apply):
Hildebert, a retired soldier, to whom many young people look up.
Gevehard, a recently arrived minor noble from the South, who boasts about his family's experience in such matters.
Who do you support?
« Last Edit: April 10, 2024, 08:51:50 am by a1s »

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2024, 09:42:45 am »

I see, you meant 10 units of food per year, not per ten-year period.

Ptolemy would like to run for the position of chief. Does he have to invest time slots into this?

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2024, 09:57:34 am »

I see, you meant 10 units of food per year, not per ten-year period.

Ptolemy would like to run for the position of chief. Does he have to invest time slots into this?
I didn't get your first comment. What costs 10 units per year?

And no, you don't need to invest a year into elections, but I would like to see some sort of campaign plan- what do you stand for?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4