Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Simulator/Generator/Something else Program  (Read 2390 times)

ottottott

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Simulator/Generator/Something else Program
« on: August 18, 2011, 09:18:04 am »

I still have about 1.5 months, until I start learning C++, and even then, I won't be able to make anything decent for a while. (I'm not learning it from a web page, so I can't really choose the speed of my progress.) But I have a strong urge to program something, yet I'm out of ideas. Well, honestly I have quite a few, but they require me to use graphics, which is not an option. I'd continue learning, but since I don't want to keep using this programming language, I'd find it to be a waste of time. So I was hoping to get ideas from here.
(Using Python BTW.)
I'd prefer to make something more like a simulator or generator of some kind, but I'll probably accept other things too. If you'd offer suggestions, they don't all have to be about the same program. I'm just as happy to make many many little ones. I am not too experienced with that language, but don't hold back with the suggestions, being afraid they're too hard for me to follow. Just don't suggest me to make anything with graphics and all should be well.

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • In Russia Putin strikes meteor
    • View Profile
Re: Simulator/Generator/Something else Program
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2011, 09:26:29 am »

Make an orbit calculator for Kerbal Space Program, wich tells you when to do the burns, and wich speed you need to reach.
Would the owner of an ounce of dignity please contact the mall security?

ottottott

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2011, 10:39:34 am »

Kerbal Space Program? Err... I'll Google it, but...
EDIT: I think I can't accomplish that. I've never even heard of the game before, and it would surely take a few hours to even understand what exactly I'm supposed to do.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 10:50:49 am by ottottott »

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • In Russia Putin strikes meteor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2011, 11:11:10 am »

Kerbal Space Program? Err... I'll Google it, but...
EDIT: I think I can't accomplish that. I've never even heard of the game before, and it would surely take a few hours to even understand what exactly I'm supposed to do.

Oh, i thought every B12'er knew about it, its as !!FUN!! as dwarf fortress.
Would the owner of an ounce of dignity please contact the mall security?

ottottott

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2011, 01:31:40 pm »

Well yeah. Unfortunately I don't. And I have plenty of games to keep me occupied for hundreds of more hours to come. !!FUN!! and not so much. So I guess that idea is out of the question. But please keep them ideas coming. I hope to at least get 1 idea I could use in the 12 hours from now.

klingon13524

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mongols are cool!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2011, 03:00:51 pm »

A script that predicts the true outcome of a paradox? Try not to let your computer explode too badly! :D
By creating a gobstopper that never loses its flavor he broke thermodynamics
Maybe it's parasitic. It never loses its flavor because you eventually die from having your nutrients stolen by it.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2011, 05:01:08 pm »

Why can't you use graphics? Is your screen busted or something?

Anyway, implementing a Neural Network to do some random task could be interesting. Feed it some songs with the assorted genres listed then let it figure out how to sort the rest of your music according to genre for example.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 02:16:09 am by Virex »

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2011, 06:29:03 pm »

Trying to make it compose music will just lead to disappointments. Try somehting easy, like one that learns to win against you at some board game.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

ottottott

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2011, 12:54:32 am »

A script that predicts the true outcome of a paradox? Try not to let your computer explode too badly! :D
It either runs out of recursion depth, or never completes. Small chance it never starts, either.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91216.0 :)
Yeah, but that thread has all sorts of ideas. It hasn't said anything about not using graphics, and doesn't specify what genre they'd rather be. So it's probable, that they are almost always ideas I can't/don't want to use.
Why can't you use graphics? Is your screen busted or something?
Anyway, implementing a Neural Network to do some random task could be interesting. Feed it some songs with the assorted genes listed then let it figure out how to sort the rest of your music according to genre for example.
I haven't learned how to use graphics. Python doesn't have anything built-in, that would let me use them, and I can't get 3rd party tools to work, not to mention they're quite horrible in a few ways.
Err, I don't know how to... control... music or sounds either. I'm also not into it, and don't have any songs or sound clips on my computer. (Except for those that come with games I play.)
Trying to make it compose music will just lead to disappointments. Try something easy, like one that learns to win against you at some board game.
A board game? That would mean I 1st have to make it be possible to play said board game in the program. And, uh, learn? Isn't that kinda' difficult as well. I guess there stands the problem, that if I don't even have a clue how to theoretically do it, how could I make a program that does it. Maybe I could program in every possible move of Tic-Tac-Toe? Or I could try a slightly harder game, and try to make some sort of rules for the program, according to which it would probably be optimal to play. In either case, it's not going to be learning anything.

Looking back at your suggestions, maybe I shouldn't have said: "I am not too experienced with that language, but don't hold back with the suggestions, being afraid they're too hard for me to follow." I should've said: "I completely suck at programming. Please give me really easy tasks, as I am unable to complete others." :-\

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2011, 01:04:45 am »

Text adventure? Turn-based battlefight-conflict simulator? "He hits you with his fist. You bite his foot. He casts disable heart. You cast reflect magic." If you can concatenate strings, you can make this happen!
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

ottottott

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2011, 01:26:12 am »

Sure! Now I would just need way more details. But otherwise, 1st idea I can actually use. =) Should it perhaps have a fighting method similar to DF? Since DF pretty much doesn't use graphics for fighting, (I guess sight, and ranged combat do measure distances and corners and stuff like that, and are thus harder to make, but not too hard.) it's an excellent example.

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2011, 02:21:15 am »

Well, I guess that's up to you. HP is convenient in that it's an easily balanced factor and you don't have to worry about implementing things like blood supply, bone/joint structure, nervous tissue, etc. Honestly, if you weren't planning on expanding it past your generic humanoid (maybe with a few species besides human for variety), you could keep with a less challenging state-oriented design and drive it with some much less generic programming. It's obvious to us what happens if a foot gets cut off - DF does it procedurally because it has things with more than two feet, things with no feet, things that fly, things that don't feel pain, etc. etc. The variety makes it simpler to actually define how those things work with each other and let the game take care of the falling-down-or-not part. For this, it would be complete overkill (albeit fun simulation-madness overkill)

For the combat, I was thinking a simple tradeoff - you can do none, one or both of magic and fighting. If you focus on one, you get better results but you run the risk of not having a counter available to a potentially fatal maneuver for that type. Counters could be done automatically, using skills you pick alongside your regular fighty/heart-stoppy skills, with another trade-off between effectiveness and speed. Meaning you can reverse a spell on someone, or drain it into your reserves, or other special things if you didn't use magic that turn, but you could only do a simple shield spell if you had been fighting, and you're SOL if you fought and used a spell on the same turn, unless the maneuvers themselves somehow disrupt your opponent's efforts or your opponent is incapacitated.

The whole trading blows until someone falls over and dies is just a little old. I'd like to see more stuff where you or your opponent can die on the first turn if you're reckless, much like a real fight. Also, wizard lightning! In real life, wizard lightning is a lot more dangerous, right?
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2011, 02:21:43 am »

Well, when it comes to AI programming, Neural networks aren't that hard. For a (board) game you may want to use something like Dynamic Scripting, since it tends to learn a lot faster.

Briggsy16

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2011, 10:26:56 am »

So basically people off ideas and you keep saying no until you like one then ask them make the idea for you? Right..
Pages: [1] 2