Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Was the Everlasting Gobstopper the least interesting Invention?  (Read 26372 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I keep watching Willy Wonka and the chocolate Factory and everytime I do I just come back to the conclusion that out of everything he had... the Gobstopper was the least impressive and least important invention.

Think of it... the opposition passed over
1) A Peice of gum that contained and entire feast (Heck put it in pill form and you just created a meal in a pill)
2) A Drink that makes you lighter or even weightless (Imagine the lives this could save! Heck unlike the Gum it could be sold right now as it is.)
3) An Alternate fuel using only Soda
4) A matter transporter that is even capable of altering the size of the objects inside without altering how they work.

Yet the implied most important and astounding invention was essentially a Marble that somehow tasted like Candy. Which frankly isn't really all that impressive. It would certainly be interesting but it would be like if they found out one of the isotopes of iron tasted like chocolate and made marbles out of it.

-Note: I am excluding the Glass Elevator because that was hidden even from the competition. Yet he would have known of all these other ones.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 08:59:26 pm by Neonivek »

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: Was the Everlasting Gobstopper the least interesting Invention?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2012, 09:06:34 pm »

By creating a gobstopper that never loses its flavor he broke thermodynamics
Shoes...

AdeleneDawner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2012, 09:10:29 pm »

Not necessarily. It could be some sort of catalyst that changes the chemical composition of someone's saliva without being used up.
Dying (ceasing to be alive) is also not a Moodable skill. Even totally unskilled Dwarves seem to do it correctly.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2012, 09:13:53 pm »

Do note that the gum (IIRC) didn't do anything but change flavor to taste like all those different components of the meal; it didn't actually have any substantial nutritional value.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2012, 09:42:16 pm »

He broke gravity with sodapop.  I think I know which one I'd want.

Although now my bigger question is why was the room they tested the Makes You Fly drink in also the room with giant open fans in the ceiling.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2012, 09:51:30 pm »

He did say NOT to drink it, I'll bet they weren't testing it in there. Maybe the bottles require large amounts of ventilation to keep or ferment.

I'd still be most interested in the matter transporter; that breaks the most laws of physics at once.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2012, 09:51:38 pm »

He broke gravity with sodapop.  I think I know which one I'd want.

Although now my bigger question is why was the room they tested the Makes You Fly drink in also the room with giant open fans in the ceiling.
The fans pull the Carbon dioxide (Helium? Some sort of gas that is lighter than normal air) out of the room before it becomes lethal? Other than that all I can think of is just one big "Oh hey you sampled my product now you must die." Or something.
Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2012, 10:05:17 pm »

Do note that the gum (IIRC) didn't do anything but change flavor to taste like all those different components of the meal; it didn't actually have any substantial nutritional value.

Remember, she was filled with Berry Juice

Obviously it not only changed flavor but actually fed you the foods involved.

There is the saliva flavor changing aspect... but it could also just be a indigestible material that the body confuses for genuin flavor and that it would EVENTUALLY erode (I doubt it is truely indestructible)
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 10:07:33 pm by Neonivek »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2012, 10:16:46 pm »

Maybe it's parasitic. It never loses its flavor because you eventually die from having your nutrients stolen by it.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2012, 10:32:20 pm »

I'll have to agree, the gobstopper was probably the least impressive. The giant golden egg geese were mighty impressive (and he tamed them and set them for production), and he bred a gaggle of them for mass production of golden chocolate eggs to shrink down in another station of the factory (if I remember him stating so; that, or wrapping them), not to forget, the soda that gave you the ability of flight appealed to me the most. Although were the fans bowing in or out of the room? If out, then it was venting out chemicals that could get hazardous if too dense, and if blowing in, then it was containing gases, but not enough power was being delivered to keep those who have consumed too much from going out. Even if such hazards were a possibility (in this case, it was accidental), why weren't there any protective grates or anything to prevent even an Oompa Loompa from getting turned into diced carrot?

This comes to mind.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 10:35:25 pm by Itnetlolor »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2012, 10:34:56 pm »

I'll have to agree, the gobstopper was probably the least impressive. The giant golden egg geese were mighty impressive, and he bred a gaggle of them for mass production of golden chocolate eggs to shrink down in another station of the factory (if I remember him stating so; that, or wrapping them), not to forget, the soda that gave you the ability of flight appealed to me the most. Although were the fans bowing in or out of the room? If out, then it was venting out chemicals that could get hazardous if too dense, and if blowing in, then it was containing gases, but not enough power was being delivered to keep those who have consumed too much from going out. Even if such hazards were a possibility (in this case, it was accidental), why weren't there any protective grates or anything to prevent even an Oompa Loompa from getting turned into diced carrot?

I think he intentionally left out the safety grating as a trap.

He either knew they wouldn't get hurt or the fan couldn't actually hurt them.

It wouldn't be the first time he did something that easily could have ended in one of the character's deaths... or shall we forget Gustav.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2012, 11:16:08 pm »

His goal from the outset was to tempt the children into a dangerous situation.

Honestly, I thought training monkeys to deshell nuts and not eat them is pretty damn impressive, though they were replaced with geese in the movie.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2012, 11:20:55 pm »

His goal from the outset was to tempt the children into a dangerous situation.

Honestly, I thought training monkeys to deshell nuts and not eat them is pretty damn impressive, though they were replaced with geese in the movie.

And Squirrels in the other movie... Which I thought was odd since... Squirrels don't live anywhere close to peanuts.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2012, 11:26:00 pm »

Also, at no point was the competition trying to steal anything anyway.

The fact that it was the least impressive may have been part of the whole point, you know.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2012, 11:33:30 pm »

And Squirrels in the other movie... Which I thought was odd since... Squirrels don't live anywhere close to peanuts.
Wait, what? Am I missing some sort of context here? Squirrels live plenty close to peanuts. Squirrels all over th'bloody place 'round here. Peanut fields don't get any sort of exception from that. Maybe not literally in the fields, but in the forest/underbrush inevitably surrounding the fields, sure.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4