Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: POST YOUR LAVA THRONE ROOM CHALLENGE SUBMISSION HERE!  (Read 6568 times)

Rainseeker

• Bay Watcher
  • Listening to Toady make trumpet sounds since 2009!
    • View Profile
    • Rattown Stories
POST YOUR LAVA THRONE ROOM CHALLENGE SUBMISSION HERE!
« on: May 27, 2010, 05:09:55 pm »

This is the submission thread from here:  http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=53726.0

You know who you are.  Please include:

1. Screenshots of the throne room.

2. Description and/or story of what happened to your fortress.

3. Any design features you want us to notice. (Levers dropping things into magma, fancy traps, furniture, etc.  :o)

Good luck, the voting will be started soon!  :D
« Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 02:01:35 am by Rainseeker »
Rainseeker writes comics!  http://rattownstories.com

Also, forum profile for said comic:  http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=78817.0

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
Re: POST YOUR LAVA THRONE ROOM CHALLENGE SUBMISSION HERE!
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2010, 05:23:32 pm »

Make it perfect!

atomfullerene

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2010, 02:05:58 am »

Here's my throne room.  The game version is the mike mayday graphical mod, the base version .03.   

Chewlabors was founded shortly before the beginning of the contest.  The map contains a volcano with a road running by it, as well as flux layers.  I drained the magma pipe using windmill powered pumps, and suspended a throne room made of glass and precious metals in the middle of it.  I also dug several vents around the sides of the mountain, allowing me to direct lava from the magma pipe to flood various parts of the mountain.  The road around the mountain was a mess, with bridges to nowhere and random wood walls, so I cleaned that up as well.  Most of my casualties resulted from cave-ins that occurred when I was deconstructing it.

The archive can be found here http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-8872-chewlabors.  Details are in the spoilers.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

ItchyBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2010, 03:34:20 am »

My entry is Undercastle, Mountainhome of the Dwarven people.

The inspiration for this fort was actually the outdoor cleaning bug. My previous outdoor forts always ended up as bloodbaths, so I decided to try my hand at a subterranean fort. However I also really like building castles, so I decided to combine the two goals and create a subterranean castle. The result was Undercastle, a below ground castle with walls mined out of solid rock. I don't think I ended up doing any construction at all for the castle walls - it's all natural terrain. The throne room came later, once I'd finished the main fort and built the infrastructure necessary to drain enough of the magma sea to construct a submerged throne room.

Further rambling about main fort:

Undercastle's Throne Room

I ended up with a substantial amount of ore from the castle construction (see above), so used a chunk of it in the construction of my throne room (the entire throne room is constructed from gold and black bronze). I'd decided early on to submerge the throne room in the magma sea, but this first necessitated draining the sea sufficiently to begin construction.

Draining the sea was accomplished by digging down to the lowest levels of the sea and installing magma smashers in several locations. The magma smashers are powered by good ol' manual lever action - somewhat nerve racking at times given the dwarven propensity to attend parties (and thus stop pulling the "don't drown all my metalsmiths in magma" lever). I only lost 2 (or 3?) dwarves setting up the smashers, and that was mostly due to forgetting to lock some very unsafe doors (dwarves apparently think pathing through glowing red hot doors is an awesome idea).

I opted to use constructed supports to suspend the throne room as I planned to re-submerge the throne room once construction was finished. There was a magma man running (swimming?) around and it would have been a bit embarrassing to have the throne room supports destroyed unexpectedly (Magma men are building destroyers).

The throne room is only accessible while the sea is drained (via lever), and then only when the bridge to it is extended (via another lever). I considered connecting the throne room via sealed walkway, but having the throne room suspended from the side didn't seem in the spirit of the competition. The furniture materials were chosen to match with the color of the floor. The pattern used for the floor and ceiling should be obvious. ;)

Huge screenshot of my throne room. This shows the inside (left) and ceiling/support levels (right):

Further image showing the ceiling/support level while the throne room is in the process of being reclaimed by the magma sea:

Link to DFMA map: http://mkv25.net/dfma/poi-23662-throneroom
The DFMA view shows the throne room before being submerged (while the magma draining infrastructure is in operation). Several over points of interest are listed in addition to the throne room.

No mods were used in the creation of this fort - it should be pure vanilla. Invaders were turned off, mainly because I didn't want to encounter an "all your limbs rot off because you stepped in blood" beast. This fort was started on version 31.03 and finished on version 31.04. Age of the fort when submitted: 1050-1088 (38 years). This translates into approximately "forever" when running at 10-20fps.

Bugs, problems, and unexpected game mechanics encountered.

For the very bored, in rough chronological order of when I encountered them:

Ratboy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2010, 09:56:56 am »

A side view of the suspended throne room.  Its made entirely of metal bars and glass windows.  I had to drain the pipe to build this thing.  That was an undertaking!  I pumped the magma out from the lowest valley of the volcano.  The chamber is suspended from an obsidian bridge (built, not poured) by a bronze tube.  The upper layer is bronze and holds the fortresses's tombs.  The second layer contains dining rooms and is built of silver and billion.  And as stated above, the third level is gold and the fourth steel.

How did you take the side view pics? And also how did you refill the pipe or does it return to its' original level by itself. ???

« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 10:07:14 am by Ratboy »
It doesn't matter whether you're right or wrong, consistency is the key.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2010, 01:05:50 pm »

How did you take the side view pics? And also how did you refill the pipe or does it return to its' original level by itself. ???

1) DMFA

2) It refills itself.  Very slowly.

atomfullerene

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2010, 07:45:00 pm »

He's right on both counts, and let my re-iterate that....veeerrry slowly. Although if I had decent FPS it would have gone quite a bit faster.   It's pretty fun to watch the lava refill though, it creates columns of lava shooting up from the surface one or two z-levels, then falling back down to spread out--rather like what I picture a volcanic surface to look like.

Ratboy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2010, 12:27:17 am »

Thanks
It doesn't matter whether you're right or wrong, consistency is the key.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2010, 07:49:43 am »

A vote would be a little weird I guess, so...  we have our winners!  Congratulations to atomfullerene and ItchyBeard!

For the small prize, we are offering crayon and ASCII Art rewards.  It's the same as the donation reward, but we struggle with the idea thing.  So that's either a crayon drawing or a story written by Threetoe with a little ASCII image stuck above it by me.  I'll PM you guys (you should have one already, email me if not).
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Rainseeker

• Bay Watcher
  • Listening to Toady make trumpet sounds since 2009!
    • View Profile
    • Rattown Stories
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2010, 06:34:03 pm »

Thanks guys for participating!!! Wooo!   :D
Rainseeker writes comics!  http://rattownstories.com

Also, forum profile for said comic:  http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=78817.0

ItchyBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2010, 08:38:16 pm »

Thanks guys for participating!!! Wooo!   :D

Cheers. It was fun :).

I was a bit worried for a while there would only be one entry... that would have been embarrassing.

How about making these challenge things a regular monthly or bi-monthly thing?

Examples:
  • Most impressive entrance defence.
  • Most impressive tree-fort (i.e. walls made of wood).
  • Most impressive fort with majority built in one of the cavern levels.
  • Most impressive zoo contained in a tower.
  • Most sadistic execution chamber.
etc....

You'll probably get more interest if you pick easily accessible ideas like the above. It's actually a little hard to dig down to the magma sea and build stuff down there, simply because you have to go through all the cavern layers. There's also the Dig designation cancelled: warm stone located every Dig designation cancelled: warm stone located few Dig designation cancelled: warm stone located squares while digging around the sea.

In terms of the magma sea itself, it's kinda... boring (despite occasional wildlife). It would be more interesting if there were open air spaces adjacent to and above the magma sea. This would also stop the magma sea ceiling from being 'warm' and thus stop people going crazy while digging through it 1 cancelled designation at a time. It also provides more of an opportunity for magma-level vermin and vegetation. Adding in links from the caverns down to the sea, and adding in a flammable cave grass (cave mould? fire mould? :P) of some sort would also increase the interest factor. I yearn for the day when we have underground trees which explode when set on fire, sending flaming debris in all directions ;).

abculatter_2

• Bay Watcher
  • HOPE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2010, 08:56:26 pm »

In terms of the magma sea itself, it's kinda... boring (despite occasional wildlife). It would be more interesting if there were open air spaces adjacent to and above the magma sea. This would also stop the magma sea ceiling from being 'warm' and thus stop people going crazy while digging through it 1 cancelled designation at a time. It also provides more of an opportunity for magma-level vermin and vegetation. Adding in links from the caverns down to the sea, and adding in a flammable cave grass (cave mould? fire mould? :P) of some sort would also increase the interest factor. I yearn for the day when we have underground trees which explode when set on fire, sending flaming debris in all directions ;).

This must be done, along with Bloodthorns occasionally shooting blood everywhere with new bloodthrons rising from those blood spatters. Maybe a few other interesting things like that in the underground (or aboveground) too.

But this is Suggestion forum talk.
Don't think of it as being besieged by thralls/husks, think of it as having your own personal moat of life hating mutilated menaces

Now wall yourself in quickly

atomfullerene

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2010, 09:59:05 pm »

Some of those challenges sound nice though.   Also, WOOO I WON!!!....but I'd have liked more competition.  Or any competition.

Xanares

• Bay Watcher
  • Cut them all down!
    • View Profile
    • Youtube channel
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2010, 05:43:46 am »

Well done guys! I tried and failed (had fun instead hehe) because some flying monster crept through my defences and slaughtered everyone gleefully.

Looking forward to the next one.

s20dan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2010, 05:19:47 pm »

1) DMFA

Hi, I've searched for this DMFA but cant find anything on it. What is it, where do I get it? I've been trying to find out about this side view for a while now.
Pages: [1] 2