Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Animal is waiting to be trained... and waiting and waiting aaand  (Read 4557 times)

NTJedi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So I'm sure I'm missing something since a year has passed without any of my animals being trained despite having 4 highly skilled trainers and plenty of idle time.  I linked them to an animal trainer which is why the message appears "waiting to be trained message appears.  I also placed them into an animal training zone.  Also these are regular dogs.

What piece of the puzzle is missing?

parasite

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Animal is waiting to be trained... and waiting and waiting aaand
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2012, 12:53:36 pm »

I have the same problem, there are many dwarves assigned to train my dogs, kennels building present and reachable, the dogs are free to roam - no pen/pasture or cage assignment.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2012, 01:18:01 pm »

parasite, your problem is that you need to set up an activity zone, the training zone

NTJedi, try making it both a pasture and training zone, pasture the animals there, see what happens, I can't think of any reason it wouldn't work.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

NTJedi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2012, 01:23:04 pm »

NTJedi, try making it both a pasture and training zone, pasture the animals there, see what happens, I can't think of any reason it wouldn't work.
That's what I tried originally, yet no luck.  I also had it overlapping with the kennels. 
I'm going to try creating more pastures, training zones and kennels which are overlapping.

The game was upgraded from 34.05 version, would this be the reason?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2012, 01:25:20 pm »

possibly but unlikely. Kennels are really not needed btw
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

Drawde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2012, 03:48:48 pm »

Stupid check, but they're commonly the reason.  Make certain the assigned dwarf has animal training activated, and only animal training.  That's why you can assign any dwarf in the animal list.  If you assign a specific dwarf, which is best used to tame specific wild animals with your best dwarf, ONLY that dwarf can train that animal.  If that dwarf has other tasks set, or you have many wild animals to keep tamed, he may be too busy to train the dogs.

Also, check burrow settings if you have them.  That dwarf or dwarves may be stuck in a burrow while the animals aren't in it.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2012, 12:51:36 am »

I always set it to "any trainer". It will improve my lesser trainers faster and the top guy only has to reinforce once in a while. I have a solid base of about 10 dwarfs at animal trainer skill 8 to 11 through that.

Bagarinator

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2012, 12:34:55 pm »

I think I'm having the same problem. I have an animal trainer, and a bunch of dogs that are "waiting to be trained". I made the new animal training zone, but my problem is that I don't know how to actually START the training of the animals. When the training of dogs was still possible at the kennel, you could directly choose the dogs from it, but with that zone, I have no idea how to do so. I can't assign the dogs to the trainer through the work animal option under labor (it only shows "no animals left") and the only thing I can do with the dogs when I view them with V is marking them ready for butchering.
I've tried letting them wander around in the training zone and even putting them into restraints in there, also building another kennel right inside of it. I've also deactivated every other job for the trainer, but he's just standing around, having "no job". I've even locked him into the room with the training zone (and waiting dogs inside) for some time, didn't work.
War animals were pretty cool in previous versions, I'd greatly appreciate it if I could train them again.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2012, 01:38:11 pm »

z - animals - find animal, press w

bluefox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2012, 12:01:21 pm »

Make sure you have at least one Dwarf with the Animal Training job active, and that you're accomplishing all the steps below:

For captured wild and semi-wild animals:
1. Build the cage.
2. Press "z" to view the stocks screen.
3. Select the "Animals" tab.
4. Highlight the animal you want trained and press "t" to assign a trainer.

I don't actually know if building the cage is necessary, but I had the hardest time getting my trainers to train an animal when it was in the animal stockpile. So I just build the cages near the training pasture until they're not semi-wild anymore, then assign them to the pasture.

For (Trained) or nearly-tame animals:
1. Press the "i" key to set up a zone.
2. Make the zone anywhere in your fortress (of any size; I usually do 10 x 10)
3. Press "n" to designate the zone as a pasture.
4. Press "t" to designate the zone as a training area.
5. Press "N" to assign animals to the zone.
6. Escape out of all menus

Dwarves will drag the animals from all over the fortress into your new zone. Note that some animals require grass or moss, or they will starve.

7. Press "z" to view the stocks screen.
8. Select the "Animals" tab.
9. Highlight the animal you want trained and press "t" to assign a trainer.

That should be it!
....I think Dwarf Fortress may be putting us all into the mindset of being a Greek God.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2012, 12:23:04 pm »

Just a few points here.
1) For wild/semi-wild you don't actually need to build the cage. Animal trainers are fine walking over to your animal stockpile and taming the beasts there.
2) You don't actually need to assign the animals to the training area as a pasture. If an animal trainer is going to train an animal he will drag it over into the area and train it as long as it isn't in a pasture that does not include the training zone.

Really I find that while the "any trainer" option is great for taming wild animals, if you want animals to actually be trained again it's best to assign them to a trainer. I've had several animals degenerate into semi-wild while my trainers just sat around, and then as soon as I assigned them to the trainers my trainers instantly went to work training them.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

foop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2012, 02:03:58 pm »

1) For wild/semi-wild you don't actually need to build the cage. Animal trainers are fine walking over to your animal stockpile and taming the beasts there.

Does the cage in the stockpile have also to be in an animal training zone?  I looked on the wiki and it seems ambiguous on this point (to my reading, at least).

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2012, 02:05:58 pm »

Not for taming wild creatures at least. Trainers will wander over to the animal stockpile and tame the creature, then remove it from the cage and take it to the zone for actual training.

As for training semi-wild creatures, you might need to remove them from the cage if you want to train them. The dwarves aren't actually taming them at that point, so they might need to actually haul them into the training area and train them there while they aren't in a cage.
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Drawde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2012, 02:41:19 pm »

I've had dwarves tame a creature where it was caught.  So taming doesn't need a specific place to tame the creature.

Training of all types needs a training area though.

Also remember that a wild creature can't be domesticated.  It will never go above well trained, which will need touching up every now and then or it will eventually go wild, and become trap immune when it does.

Any children born from a trained mother will also be trained, and will need someone set to train them to become domesticated.  Though I believe this needs to be done before it becomes an adult.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2012, 03:06:32 pm »

Any children born from a trained mother will also be trained, and will need someone set to train them to become domesticated.  Though I believe this needs to be done before it becomes an adult.
Correct. Also once they are trained to become domesticated you can then remove the trainer from them since they will never need to be trained again.
Pages: [1] 2