Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: "The world has passed into The Golden Age" <-- What?  (Read 4551 times)

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: "The world has passed into The Golden Age" <-- What?
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2011, 04:17:55 pm »

Your information was helpful, but your attitude was not.

Directing people to the wiki is hardly indicative of an attitude problem.
The issue is not the "what", but the "how".  A link directs people to the wiki and enlightenment.  Chiding them for incompetence does not.

This is useful information, even if it didn't hold a link.  This is the part I appreciated.
DF Wiki definition of "golden age"
"Civilizations are expanding, and there are no wars and other things for them to worry about."

This is the part I took issue with.
The wiki is your friend, you can use it.
I took this to mean that he is implying that I am willfully ignorant of easily available information and that my inquiry serves only to waste the time of others.  That attitude is sometimes justified, but only rarely, and almost never in a game as complicated as this.  The fact that I HAD just read the wiki article and not found what I was looking for only further compounds my ire.  However, given that he had no way of knowing whether I had read it or not, I do not hold that specificly against him.  What I do hold against him is the fact that he ASSUMED I WAS A MORON.  Actually no, that's fine.  I assume people are morons all the time, but I generally try to keep my tone civil and give curious inquirers the benefit of the doubt and keep in mind just how opaque the game really is.

But finally, I suppose that there is some amount of my own fault since I read what he wrote with an eye willing to be insulted.  I could have decided that what he said was not intended as an insult, but based on the wording and my knowledge of sarcasm, I determined that the most likely explanation was that he was in fact insulting my intelligence.  But even then, I could have just said nothing and let it be, but I chose to make an issue out of it, and here we are.

Getting back on topic...
I am glad that despite the apparent state of world peace, the goblins are continuing their futile attacks.  Though all Civs in the civ-screen have a "P" next to them (for all civs), my trade relations with the goblins are still listed as "Terror" and "Vengeance".  No goblin caravans have arrived, and all of my goblin prisoners are still treated as hostiles.  Oh, and they also sent a siege.

This lead me to wonder a few things:
-If I started a war with the Elves, would this bring "The Golden Age" to an end?
-If I captured some Elves prisoner during this war, but then later was able to make peace with them (can you?), would the captured elves still be treated as hostiles when I released them?

On an interesting but probably unrelated note, on the last siege before the Golden Age was declared, one squad of goblin spearmen sat at the edge and did nothing.  Well, they DID kill one of their own members, but after that didn't do much until I marched my Swordsdwarves out to dispatch them.  I watched them for a while to see if a loyalty cascade erupted among them, but they stopped after killing "Ngoso vonScapegoat".  Also, even though I saw the combat logs that he was getting the crap beaten out of him and saw his right hand and shield lying on the ground, (v)iewing his (w)ounds showed me nothing.  Strange.
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2011, 04:38:14 pm »

Your information was helpful, but your attitude was not.

Directing people to the wiki is hardly indicative of an attitude problem.
The issue is not the "what", but the "how".  A link directs people to the wiki and enlightenment.  Chiding them for incompetence does not.

I had figured the "how" was your problem, but also thought, and still think, that being offended or annoyed at a comment like "the wiki is your friend" is hardly appropriate. I'd advise you to stop being so delicate if I didn't expect you to take that as an insult as well.

I chose to make an issue out of it, and here we are.

Way I'm looking at it, we're having a perfectly civil discussion about manners, but that won't stop some people from interpreting it as hostility.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 04:41:34 pm by assimilateur »

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2011, 06:23:22 pm »

I chose to make an issue out of it, and here we are.

Way I'm looking at it, we're having a perfectly civil discussion about manners, but that won't stop some people from interpreting it as hostility.
I view it as this too.  I am not offended by anything you have said, and I apologize if any such sentiment came across in the ambiguities of text-based communication.  I wrote as much as I did so that I could more fully convey my point of view.

Upon reflection, I think our source of disagreement comes in two areas:
-How to react when somebody says something that you feel is out of line.
-What constitutes "out of line"

Actually, upon further thinking, I don't think we are actually in disagreement about the first.  I thought Carcanken was "out of line" in his response to me, and you thought that I was "out of line" in my response to him, and in both instances we chose to call the other person out on this.

So that brings us to "What constitutes 'out of line'?"  Simply put, I perceived offense where you did not.  I can only speculate on the sources of our difference in evaluation, but can't imagine that doing so will bear any useful fruit.

I will however make sure in the future to be more mindful of the fact that not everybody will interpret a statement in the same way.  An insult to one person will be of no consequence to another, and vice-versa.
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
his sooty foot he put."

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2011, 06:29:04 pm »

Getting back on topic...
^ please, no one wants to hear your arguments.

So is the reason I have never gotten a golden age the fact that I stick to large worlds? I don't know how many minotaurs I've wrastled, seiges/ambushes I've obliterated, or thieves daggers I've put into weapon traps.

Does a golden age do anything special, like caravans bringing you more stuff? The wiki doesn't say much on golden ages :/
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2011, 10:02:17 pm »

Getting back on topic...
^ please, no one wants to hear your arguments.
You're absolutely right.  I probably should have ignored the whole thing.  Curse my "can't let things stand that I disagree with" attitude!
So is the reason I have never gotten a golden age the fact that I stick to large worlds? I don't know how many minotaurs I've wrastled, seiges/ambushes I've obliterated, or thieves daggers I've put into weapon traps.

Does a golden age do anything special, like caravans bringing you more stuff? The wiki doesn't say much on golden ages :/
My understanding is that named ages are just symptomatic of the overall conditions of the world.  They describe general trends and do not have any actual effect on the world.  Ages don't change the world, the world changes the Ages.  I would also expect that larger worlds would have more "inertia" with major changes to its dynamics taking much longer to play out.  However, all of this is guesswork based on basicly the same information that you yourself have been reading.
"Urist had a little lamb
his sooty foot he put."

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2011, 05:38:05 am »

I've gotten an age-change message only once, and that was the world passing into the Dwarven Age (at year 7). I don't think the golden age is a lack of war, just a time of prosperity and civilization growth. Could also have something to do with the number of megabeasts tooling about.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

Mantonio

• Bay Watcher
  • Make Science!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2011, 07:19:17 am »

So eventually - say, if you kill enough Goblins, and their general and Clown leader as well, they surrender and start sending trade caravans?

That's awesome.
Who's the greatest warrior ever?
A hero of renown?
Who slayed an evil ocean?
Who cast the Lich King down?
BILLY!
Pages: 1 [2]