Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 141 142 [143] 144 145 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2123613 times)

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #2130 on: July 26, 2010, 01:35:30 pm »

I needed engravers, metalsmiths and various other things. I got a 22 dorf migrant wave, almost everyone was a clothier or milker.

If you are in 0.31 versions, check their skills.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2131 on: July 26, 2010, 02:16:15 pm »

I needed engravers, metalsmiths and various other things. I got a 22 dorf migrant wave, almost everyone was a clothier or milker.

If you are in 0.31 versions, check their skills.
I use DTherapist, I know what they were. Does the game give a higher chance of getting useless migrants?

monkeyfetus

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring:terrible puns]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2132 on: July 26, 2010, 03:17:29 pm »

Migrants on the whole are much more useful than they were in 40d, provided you're willing to process them with dwarf therapist and sort out which ones have useful skills. The rest can be haulers or begin military training. That said, it's pretty much random what skills they might have, so you're bound to get unlucky sometime. If you need the professions enough you can always start with an unskilled dwarf.
Why does my adventurer keep crying?
Greiger's is actually correct...  sadly enough.  The emotional circumstance processor is still turned on, with a randomly rolled up personality, but they can't express themselves or take control...  they can only cry.

devek

• Bay Watcher
  • [KILL_EVERYTHING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2133 on: July 26, 2010, 04:32:39 pm »

3rd time in a row to embark without seeds... I'll remember the next time I swear!
"Why do people rebuild things that they know are going to be destroyed? Why do people cling to life when they know they can't live forever?"

Taco Dan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of aborted projects
    • View Profile
    • Shattered Monkey Gaming
« Reply #2134 on: July 26, 2010, 04:34:00 pm »

Just give the useless dwarves the jobs that you need. Sure they're going to be slow at first, but after a year or so, they'll be awesome at it.
I think I would remember if I had amnesia.
I'd like to remind everyone that half of the time I don't even know what I'm talking about. The other half of the time I only sort of know what I'm talking about.

flatlander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2135 on: July 26, 2010, 08:55:26 pm »

Decided to up the difficulty a bit... embarked in a haunted jungle/swamp. I gave everyone ambush and set up a squad. I took one pick and the materials to make weapons. Designated a burrow... assigned someone to mine out the ramps and cut a moat so nothing could get at the caravan...

Four dwarfs later after several skeletal croc attacks I realized if everyone is set to ambush; no one will pick up a pick... ouch.

<edit>Oh I forgot to mention I forgot to take stone for the smelter/forges... I was feeling desperate for that miner to do their work </cry></edit>
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 09:07:15 pm by flatlander »
Check out my webcomic at epicgotime.com

Samohan25

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2136 on: July 27, 2010, 01:02:36 pm »

Embarked in a new world, built up a fortress complete with resivoir, farm, several other features and then started wondering why there were no caravans, immigrants or other races. Turns out that all the dwarves were dead; No important leaders and no chance of any more than 18 dwarves.

/facepalm

timtek

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Tacos
    • View Profile
« Reply #2137 on: July 27, 2010, 02:55:47 pm »

Embarked in a new world, built up a fortress complete with resivoir, farm, several other features and then started wondering why there were no caravans, immigrants or other races. Turns out that all the dwarves were dead; No important leaders and no chance of any more than 18 dwarves.

/facepalm

It's up to you now, you must repopulate the dwarven race! Build a bed, get some beer, and go to work!
My fortress brings all the dorfs to mah yard...

FacePalm

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2138 on: July 27, 2010, 05:07:42 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

/facepalm  :'(

monkeyfetus

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring:terrible puns]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2139 on: July 27, 2010, 05:22:59 pm »

Was that guy killed by the marmot?
Why does my adventurer keep crying?
Greiger's is actually correct...  sadly enough.  The emotional circumstance processor is still turned on, with a randomly rolled up personality, but they can't express themselves or take control...  they can only cry.

FacePalm

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2140 on: July 27, 2010, 05:38:04 pm »

No he was struck down by fire imps and this was like the third season v.v And right now there all throwing tantrums except one of my miners :/ and now they need buckets. . . /facepalm
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 05:48:20 pm by FacePalm »

rocknose

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2141 on: July 28, 2010, 11:15:09 am »

Constructed a cistern and buckets, started the bucket brigade to fill it up. While they were filling it, I got a well set up, so the nurses could get water from the cistern without wandering all the way outside while the patients died of thirst. As soon as the well was finished, all the bucket brigade dwarfs began filling their buckets from the well. I had 20 dwarves in a small room, taking water from a well and pouring it into a hole to fill the well.
I didn't realize it until a season later when I realized that the cistern wasn't getting any fuller.
Why don't you go throw rocks at it?

mwanafalsafa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2142 on: July 28, 2010, 02:27:53 pm »

I just realized you could put finished goods in bins.

Now my stockpile of rock crafts for the caravans doesn't have to take up half my fortress.

Dearnen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2143 on: July 28, 2010, 06:06:33 pm »

I'm sure I'm not the first to do this:  To increase meat and bone supplies, as well as increase FPS, I set most of the animals to be slaughtered.  Sometime later I wondered why I hadn't been seeing any messages about animals being struck down.  Upon checking the list, I discovered that I had set them all to be adopted, which they had been.

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2144 on: July 28, 2010, 11:15:38 pm »

2D version:  hey look a big swarm of elves coming to my fort!  no, no, no, wait apparently the big E's can be too things, bye bye fort.
If life gives you lemons, burn them.
Pages: 1 ... 141 142 [143] 144 145 ... 729