Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: I want to try my hand at programming a real game... what language?  (Read 6517 times)

madk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • pineapplemachine
Re: I want to try my hand at programming a real game... what language?
« Reply #75 on: July 12, 2010, 11:03:06 am »

I could just be biased since my first language was Blitz Basic (for PC), but I find BlitzMax to be an extremely good language. It's fast and powerful, and I use it for almost everything. It's my first choice primarily because of the versatility of its syntax. You can adapt a simple basic-like structure if you don't want to spend the time making clean code, or you can make it all OO and optimize like nobody's business. It does cost $80, but it's served me very well.

Beeskee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I want to try my hand at programming a real game... what language?
« Reply #76 on: July 12, 2010, 11:37:13 am »

I don't know how well it works client-side and with graphics, but C# works pretty well server side. RunUO is written in C# and a decent server computer running RunUO can handle 2000-3000 players at a time.

The best language is always the one that is best for you. If you know VB really well, try making the game you want to make in that. Even if it doesn't work out, you will have learned some things about the game you want to make, how to improve certain things, etc, even if you move on to another language for the next attempt.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 11:55:56 am by Beeskee »
When a wizard is tired of looking for broken glass in his dinner, he is tired of life.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]