Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 152 153 [154] 155 156 ... 158

Author Topic: Tech News. Automation, Engineering, Environment Etc  (Read 247884 times)

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Re: Tech News. Automation, Engineering, Environment Etc
« Reply #2295 on: October 03, 2020, 08:48:43 pm »

But can they power those special LEDs?
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2296 on: October 04, 2020, 03:42:48 am »

The over-unity ones?

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2297 on: October 04, 2020, 05:08:42 pm »

The over-unity ones?

Yeah. Then put them on a space craft as a radiator.

The resulting light could also possibly push a solar sail, assuming the emission of photons by the LEDs doesn't cancel that out. Not sure how much thrust you could actually get, though.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2020, 05:10:52 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2298 on: October 04, 2020, 05:15:16 pm »

INB4 too many of these clever little tricks get stacked together, the Universe finally realises what's going on and then resorts to collapsing the false vacuum, or somesuch, resulting in... well, nothing.

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2299 on: October 04, 2020, 07:24:56 pm »

INB4 too many of these clever little tricks get stacked together, the Universe finally realises what's going on and then resorts to collapsing the false vacuum, or somesuch, resulting in... well, nothing.
Nah, the admins will just roll back and patch out the exploits. We'll never even know it happened.
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2300 on: October 07, 2020, 11:32:42 am »

As a result of "penetration (Sic!) testing", yet another example of how the Internet Of 'Things' approach is perhaps not always entirely fully thought through.

(The manufacturers at least do now have a hardware solution to stop you irrepairably damaging any firmware, in case you find yourself unable to eject a floppy.)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2301 on: October 20, 2020, 02:20:11 pm »

Me again.

Remote control forklifts. (Gives jobs to people, rather than robots, I suppose.)

I think the idea of a microphone being installed should be a no-brainer (though surely at least two, to provide stereo or preferably binaural ambience). Though the reported comment about this...
"If someone is behind that forklift and says, 'Hey, you're about to hit me,' the operator can hear it just like he's sitting on the forklift," says Mr Katz.
...is delightfully understated.

edited for tyops
« Last Edit: October 20, 2020, 04:47:51 pm by Starver »

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2302 on: October 20, 2020, 02:31:03 pm »

ptw

Also: It seems like graphene can do everything except leave the lab.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2303 on: October 20, 2020, 02:32:54 pm »

Getting high quality films of arbitrary characteristics mass produced is what keeps it shackled to the lab, or so I am led to understand.

(There are some high volume methods to produce graphene sheets, but the sheets do not meet the needed regularity and low defect rates needed to do all the wonderful shit graphene is supposed to be able to do.)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2304 on: October 20, 2020, 03:39:42 pm »

Just clearing out my backlog of randomly saved articles

Came across this story about a music artist who went viral with a track on Spotify, hit #1, but then they hit him with a copyright claim on a sample he used.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/the-worst-best-day-of-my-life-how-a-song-went-viral-then-suddenly-disappeared-871991/

However, looking into it, the "sample" is someone else's entire song by an indie artists from Japan, which he cut down to 2 minutes, and merely added an extra drum track. It got taken down, but then because of some complaints, they put in back.

"sample" version
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6LB6nrkoJU

original song
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rB7XFQgJHBI

Wow, is it easy to get an article written about you, just appropriate an entire song, cut it shorter, add drums, then post it everywhere. I guess this is ok now, mainly because an "obscure" Japanese indie group doesn't have lawyers that will come after Spotify and Youtube to follow up on take downs.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2020, 03:58:36 pm by Reelya »

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2305 on: October 28, 2020, 08:50:01 am »

ptw
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2306 on: November 01, 2020, 02:23:37 pm »

As I mentioned it in an aside elsewhere: Chatbot talks to Chatbot.  (Not that it hasn't been done before.)

And, frankly, I'm disappointed in what I've seen.

To quote in the article:
"Did you know why women can't put on mascara with their mouths closed?" asks Kuki.

"Thank you for sharing it with me," replies Blenderbot, politely but entirely missing the point, adding for good measure: "You are a good person."

Knowing something about how the grande dame that is Eliza works (I typed in a minimal version of her into a BBC Microcomputer in the early '80s, and I subsequently found it almost impossible to 'fool myself' with the IRC version afterwards, though I could still enjoy how others interacted with her) it's entirely obvious that Kuki's "Did you know <foo>?" was contextualised as "Fact: <foo>" in Bb's 'mind', spurring the generic 'I don't immediately know[1] what to do with that' response. Needs a bit more work (manually or by automated competitive 'learning', for which you'd probably also need automated competitive teaching) to extract and identify just that little extra syntactic sense...

A bit like the bits in the lined Eliza/Parry that go something like "*It's clear to me if not to you." "Do you think its likely that not to I?" (my formatting to explain the 'logical' progression).

[1] Or may have a choice set of fuller responses, but opted for the generic "Thanks, please continue" one.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2307 on: November 16, 2020, 12:59:40 am »

I’m not sure if this counts as news but YouTube recommended me a video of a robot I’ve never seen before

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2308 on: November 18, 2020, 10:07:58 pm »

I have been ruining my mind:

The Intel 4004 Schematic

EDIT: unrelated: I bought an external GPU for my aged computers. Holy coil whine!
« Last Edit: November 18, 2020, 10:10:12 pm by McTraveller »

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2309 on: November 18, 2020, 10:30:01 pm »

I’m not sure if this counts as news but YouTube recommended me a video of a robot I’ve never seen before
Oh hey, I posted this video on the Happy thread when YouTube recommended it a few days ago. It’s a cute little thing ain’t it?
Pages: 1 ... 152 153 [154] 155 156 ... 158