Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Faerie Fortress  (Read 4051 times)

Marlowe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Faerie Fortress
« Reply #45 on: December 11, 2008, 10:02:54 am »

First five-squad orc siege (third year autumn) was beaten off with no losses. I think that getting off to a slow start on the trade goods front has worked in my favour. It made the orcs stay away for the extra year I needed to get good military and defenses.

I have 15 weapon trap layers flanked by channels guarding our main gate, loaded with flint greatswords and green glass disks. If I add more I'll be using captured orc weapons. We have plenty of (iron swords), (mauls), (flails) et cetera, and we don't need much of it when we can make flint longswords.

I've equipped a couple of guys with morningstars for the fun of it. Faerie can't produce Mace/Hammer type weapons, so there's no way to make sparring equipment. To reflect this the Faerie Hammerman/Maceman professions are named "Avenger" and "Punisher", because they get their weapons off kills.

I've not noticed (DAMBLOCK-1) leading to much more sparring injuries. We have one spinal case who is training in bow. We do get a degree of superficial bruising.

The Orcs seem to be in a pattern of getting their leaders chewed up by the traps and then sitting there under bowfire until they run. Only our bow-armed Faerie have kills. Next time we should have enough training to take the fight to them.

Incidentally, Orcs die under bowfire just like anything else. It's like undead. They may take an extra hit, but they still die. In fact quite easily, because they're too dumb to move away.

I'm thinking that [IMPROVED_BOWS] might well have more effect than the wiki suggests. OK, we still get the total newbs that fire off a whole quiver to no result but more commonly, we get cases where a total newb goes out and kills a skeletal pike with one shot, or a cougar with two, or three wolves with five arrows.

Waiting on nobles to see how they work.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 10:59:39 pm by Marlowe »

Marlowe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 11, 2008, 11:17:52 pm »

In the name of SCIENCE (and boredom with weapon-switching) I have let the guys with the flint longswords keep their weapons when they went off-duty after the siege, so they're sparring with the real thing. Everyone's got pretty good wrestling moves now, so it's not as bad as it could be. We do have one more spinal case, a swordwielder. Rather than put him on bow I've made him the professional executioner of wolves, snailmen, and other things I don't like. It's like having a hunter, only effective. The Faerie are fast enough to easily catch most wildlife.

I can't make anything heavier than chainmail, and our armour is iron and bronze, so it's a bit of a gamble to be playing with flint longswords.

One of the dead orc leaders is a titled, legendary macelord. His equipment included quite a bit of fey bone jewelery. I'm glad we killed this one. I've collected the jewelery. I want to give it a funeral, but I'll have to settle for having it all piled in a wall niche and walling it up.

Population is at 57.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 11:23:52 pm by Marlowe »

Marlowe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 22, 2008, 11:18:38 am »

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=725

The mods been on DFFD for a little over a week now, and there's been some downloads. I wasn't expecting any, truth to tell.

Appreciate feedback here.

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 23, 2008, 05:53:41 pm »

It's pretty neat.
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

Marlowe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 24, 2008, 03:08:49 am »

I can't remember if I made polar bears trainable or not..... :-[

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 24, 2008, 04:37:05 am »

You did.

;D
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]