Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: [Resolved] Filling up holes / deleting ramps below you? (River digging)  (Read 1264 times)

Illanair

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as Nexie.
    • View Profile
Re: [Resolved] Filling up holes / deleting ramps below you? (River digging)
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2010, 12:06:50 pm »

That makes sense.
I am going to copy the chicken entry and rename everything chocobo and make it 100x the size of a normal chicken and make it rideable.  Too bad our dwarves probably wont ride them. >_>

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2010, 01:55:30 pm »

Question: Are not ramps preferable because even dabbling swimmers can climb out of them in case of carp attack?
Yes. Clearly a bug that ought to be fixed in the future, but exploit it in the meantime.

Aescula: *snerk*  Just thought of a picture I saw a long tome ago...
Darth Guy: A long, long tome ago, in a library far, far away?

Drawde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2010, 03:01:27 pm »

One, ramps mess up the look of things.

Two, animals and enemies that end up in the river (usually from getting washed away while walking on a ramp on their side) quite often end up hitting the ramps on your side and climbing up.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2010, 03:04:42 pm »

Look for a utility called 'dfderamp' over in the modding section.  This tool will remove all ramps/stairs that are currently marked to be mined out, wether they are accessible or not.  This is what I use to make my channels look nice and tidy.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

Illanair

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as Nexie.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2010, 03:33:45 pm »

Oh nice little tool - if only it did not crash on my machine. Hopefully the author can get a fix out for W7 eventually.

In the meantime I found a partial fix on a new test map. I blocked off the main river on a straight bit at the start of the river (it flows in one direction) using magma drops (making a 1 long 4 wide dam), then proceded to dig out the branch I needed to encase my island. Afterwards I simply channeled the dam away and built a permanent bridge across it to cover up the ramps. The bridge is far away from my settlement and won't disturb me any more than the natural crossings there are already. :)
I am going to copy the chicken entry and rename everything chocobo and make it 100x the size of a normal chicken and make it rideable.  Too bad our dwarves probably wont ride them. >_>

vturtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2010, 03:51:08 pm »

When I create trenches/moats I usually leave the last up ramp under where the drawbridge will go, that way it's usually covered.  If you want that last ramp up elsewhere you could just cover it with a small bridge or floor later.  What happens if you drop lava on the ramp using dfliquids?  I would think that would obsidianize the block, but I don't know.

Acperience

• Bay Watcher
  • Introjection
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2010, 05:41:26 pm »

@Acperience:

I'm pretty sure I picked a varm biome to avoid the river freezing up and letting enemies walk across, but I'll wait until Winter and see what happens.
Uh, sure? It's nothing special though. Just a river bending through a small canyon.
Pumps eh? I might try that if I get sufficiently pissed ;) - Non editing - so there áre tools out there? :D

@Puke:

Point taken. *trumpets sound* Bring forth the sacrificial lamb! ???

I know you don't know this. But I fucking love canyons.

Lord Darkstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2010, 05:49:59 pm »

Actually, if he leaves the ramps on one side, he won't have to sacrifice a dwarf. Just needs a way back, like a bridge.

Or, he could have gotten rid of the ramps, then had a dwarf dig down stairs and then tunnel over and then dig some up stairs. Put that up stairs on the outer banks for optimal security.
learn to give consolations to frustrated people
What is this, a therapy session? We don't need to console someone because they're upset about a fucking video game. Grow a beard, son, and take off those elf ears!

MiniMacker

• Bay Watcher
  • Side-effects include nausia, tantrum and insanity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2010, 07:23:19 pm »

B'aw, he just skipped some slight possibility of fun.
It isn't a new Dwarf Fortress version until we're made to fear some kind of regular creature.  Carp, Elephants, Unicorns, Badgers, and now Mosquitos.  I've got 5 dorfBucks on the next one being plagues of groundhogs.
Pages: 1 [2]