Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Metal Mod v0.1 released  (Read 1438 times)

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Metal Mod v0.1 released
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2008, 12:50:34 pm »

I don't really see the point. Gold nuggets, for example, are pretty much pure as is, so there's no reason for them to yield more than one bar. An exception is amalgamation that supposedly allows to preserve whatever leftovers may have been cast away as slag, and produce another bar of usable gold with a certain chance (although I find even that a "debasement of science" to some extent). Most ores in the game follow a similar line of logic. Unless the mod is purely an effort to "make life easier", there's no point in it.
pardon the necro but:

depends entirely on how big a square is.  This could (interestingly) be balanced by a massive change in how common veins are.  If and when you find the iron, you've got enough forever, it's just... Kind of hard to find it. 

Plus, add in a few 'poor ores' that only yield 20% or something.

Could be awesome.

Impaler[WrG]

• Bay Watcher
  • Khazad Project Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2008, 08:51:05 pm »

I've done as I alluded too earlier and modified your mod and incorporated it with my own raws.  I toned down the bar production by dividing all your values by 5 which came out just about evenly on everything except Galena and Tetrahedrite which I rounded to 3/1 output, also I cut Gold nuggets to 3 bars to keep gold rare, the max bars produced is 6 from Copper nuggets and most are 4 bars.  I also went into the item raws and doubled all the material requirements for items so a plate mail suit would be 6 rather then 3 bars.  So the net effect is about a doubling of the amount of stuff that each unit of ore can become.  I might reduce vein abundance as Granite26 suggests if play testing suggests its necessary.

I've also got my own system of Alloy creation which rebalanced all the alloy formulas and metal values along the principle that most alloying should produce a small increase in net value, some of the prior supper reactions like bronze and zinc are toned down as well.  Damage values are shifted to improve bronze and open up several other metals for viable military use.  All alloys are formed in binary fashion by combining 2 bars of metal.  This can be repeated to create 'double' alloys which can be created by either a 4 bars 'direct' reaction or a 2 bar 'split' reaction in which one or more of the reagent bars is itself an alloy.  For example Black Bronze created from 1 Electrum and 1 Copper is equivalent to 2 Copper, 1 Gold and 1 Silver.  I had to drop all ore to alloy equations due to the different yields, equations which accurately preserve trace metals and logically reflect yields were far too numerous and resulting in too many residuals.  All ore is smelted to pure elemental bars after which one can archive any desired alloy with a single reaction using either a 2 or a 4 bar reaction.  The benefit is that theirs no waste or 'magic' everything balances and is accounted for.  I'm also considering adding un-alloying, aka separating alloys back to pure elements.

In addition I dropped all fuel requirements for bar 2 bar alloying, fuel is required only for Smelting from ore which will now be much less fuel demanding because of the high bar output, on top of that Coal produces considerably more coke at Lignite 3, Bituminous 5 and a new Anthracite which is also 5 but requires no fuel to turn to coke (The coking process is to remove impurities that are not present in Anthracite), Anthracite is also present in Metamorphic rock which was previously fuel-less making these maps FAR more attractive.

I've included 8 new metals, some drawn from other mods, others from wiki searching, half are new gold alloys intended for jewelery and craft, three others are Copper based and the last is a new form of Pewter.

If anyone would like to have a look I can upload it to one of the DF file sites
Khazad the Isometric Fortress Engine
Extract forts from DF, load and save them to file and view them in full 3D

Khazad Home Thread
Khazad v0.0.5 Download

TerminatorII

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Adamantine Skeleton]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2008, 04:57:22 am »

Thanks Impaler! I applaud your efforts! If you want redistribute your mod as v 0.2.b , add all changes to the readme (along with your name then list of changes at botom and put your name at the bottom too since you have added :) ) I'll check it out! sounds good so far. I really apreciate the effort you are going through since I really don't have the time to develop it farther. (Deployed to Iraq.)

To clarify how Metal Mod "Unifies" metals, ores, and stone.

In matgloss_stone_mineral you have
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
In reaction_standard you have no Iron smelting task.... Hmmmm....

In metal mod I figured out how to make all metal ores smeltable with custom quantities. heres how.

reaction_metalmod
matgloss_stone_mineral
The above one is key: look at the difference between Metals mod here an standard.... one little tag.
No, I think the cook would be in charge of sugar-coating the cows.

You are a lifesaver! Round and probably in tropical flavors.
Pages: 1 [2]