Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Metal Mod v0.1 released  (Read 1445 times)

TerminatorII

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Adamantine Skeleton]
    • View Profile
Metal Mod v0.1 released
« on: May 08, 2008, 08:16:00 pm »

I have uploaded a preliminary release of my Metal Mod on DFFD

please check it out and post comments questions and errors here.

I also have uploaded my 1280x800 tileset. (no fancy pics just large) It also includes my customized performance 1280x800 init file.

:D Have fun!

No, I think the cook would be in charge of sugar-coating the cows.

You are a lifesaver! Round and probably in tropical flavors.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: Metal Mod v0.1 released
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2008, 02:38:00 am »

Other than the arbitrary What's The Point? question, I have this to say.

Interesting stuff you're trying to do with wire, but as it is, the game cannot differentiate normal metals from any other metals. Chain mail and scale mail will always be made from any usable metal, wire or no. If you need something akin to "wire mail", you can have metal wire in form of thread - [PRODUCT:100:1:THREAD:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:GOLD] for example, which you can make into a cloth or rope later. Cloth might be used to make clothes that can serve as armor.

Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2008, 07:10:00 am »

I hope it isn't the version which doubles each metal? (gold and gold2 etc.) where I said "what's the point" too =).
I can't download from DFFD for now but can you list the changes you've done - it's always good to know what are you going to download.

[ May 09, 2008: Message edited by: Deon ]

▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2008, 09:03:00 am »

It does double them, sorta. It introduces new reactions for existing metals (with 100 bars generated), and adds "wire" versions of existing metals that are armor-only. Speaking of which, they are not renamed to "wire <metal>", they still have the same name, only their ID is changed. This will cause a lot of confusion.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

TerminatorII

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2008, 10:34:00 pm »

v.0.1 was buggy. I thought I had the problem licked (up too late lol) and released it before crashing. Most(90%) of the new reactions did not appear and all old reactions were there.

v.0.1a fixes this (I hope) no metals are "doubled" instead existing metal tasks are replaced with the new ones. Thus allowing new metal amounts to be generated for all types of metals, and not confusing the player.

The way I fixed the problem (without replacing all old metal ore/stone types was by removing the [METAL_ORE:XXXX] tag from matgloss_stone_mineral and under reaction_metalmod using stone instead of ore tags. This to my befuddled eyes appears to have solved the problem.

Note: Install mod, generate new world. It "SHOULD" work. please post if it doesn't

TerminatorII

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2008, 10:35:00 pm »

@Sean Thanks! Ill fix that tomorrow and release v.0.1b then.

Cheers!

TerminatorII

TerminatorII

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2008, 08:54:00 am »

v.0.1b is released all know problems with earlier releases are FIXED!! WHOO!

mod is stable and totaly incompatiable.
please give it a try and let me know any problems.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2008, 07:04:00 am »

Isn't it easier just to make new reactions whithout editing vanilla metals? Why do you want to make incompatibility? You can make everything outside vanilla files.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

TerminatorII

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2008, 09:03:00 am »

without modding the "vanilla" materials I would have to delete them and add new ones for the same ores. The goal of the project is not to add new metals, but to add new abilities to those metals. I.E. make ores of "vanilla" stones give multiple bars. I haven't made adjustments yet so all ores give 100 bars.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2008, 11:04:00 am »

Why do you need to DELETE them?

What's wrong with
[REACTION:MULTIPLE_BARS]
[NAME:make multiple gold bars]
[SMELTER]
[REAGENT:1:STONE:NO_SUBTYPE:STONE:GOLD]
[PRODUCT:100:100:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:GOLD]
[FUEL]
?
This reaction alone lets you to make 100 gold bars from 1 gold nugget withou altering ANY of vanilla files.
I can't get why do you need to screw the vanilla...

▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

TerminatorII

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2008, 01:57:00 pm »

yes, that is 100% accurate. HOWEVER, you then have 2 smelt gold tasks, one is multiple the other is single. I removed single reactions. Seems simple, but it is more complex than one might think, and I removed ore tags to make things simpler for other people if they wanted to add new ores and stones that way they could just copy mine. Just trying to make things more convienient lol. (even though It can't run with most other mods heh)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2008, 02:53:00 pm »

I don't really see the point. Gold nuggets, for example, are pretty much pure as is, so there's no reason for them to yield more than one bar. An exception is amalgamation that supposedly allows to preserve whatever leftovers may have been cast away as slag, and produce another bar of usable gold with a certain chance (although I find even that a "debasement of science" to some extent). Most ores in the game follow a similar line of logic. Unless the mod is purely an effort to "make life easier", there's no point in it.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2008, 07:44:00 pm »

If you're trying to make the cheat why to remove original rules? If one doesn't want to use vanilla reaction, he won't use it. Why do you want to remove original ones? I just ask because I want to know what's the use of it and why did you make this a public mod - you definitely thought that there's a use for your mod and it introduces something new/interesting, can you explain it please?
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

TerminatorII

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2008, 05:50:51 am »

okay Metal Mov v.0.2a is now released. Tentativly balanced.

Lots of you have probably wondered why this mod is good or why you should try it.

1: It unifies metal ores and stones by removing [ORE] tags

2: This actually makes it easier for others to add new metals or reactions

3: It gives multiple bars per ore smelted. (how much metal is in a rock that is 20% pure ore and is bigger than a dragon??)

4: I believe that it makes for a much more enjoyable experience. No more do you have to worry about using up your precious metal to train a armor smith, you still need to be frugal, but you can actually get a lively smelting operation going.

5: It simplifies a lot of aspects reguarding smelting code wise. It is more elegant and from the dev page you can even see that Toadyone is thinking along the same lines. I however unified them under current programing :D )

Impaler[WrG]

• Bay Watcher
  • Khazad Project Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2008, 12:36:49 pm »

This looks interesting, I was not aware of your 0.1 release and the comments above imply that you were allowing up to 100 bars per smelting operation, thats far too many from a purely logistical standpoint in my opinion (100 haul tasks generated each time you smelt a stone, oh the traffic jams and clutter!!!).  Your new files though have toned this down to 20, still high in my opinion though I see your using it to give different ores different yields and the 'dual' ores like galena and tetradrite non-random split yields which I whole heartedly endorse.  I think a 1-5 bar benchmark is ware you should be focused.  It still allows good fractions and yield differences without making metal hyper abundant.  I think I may re-do some of your numbers by roughly dividing by 4 ~ 5 and incorporating this concept in my own files.

Also I'm not exactly sure what "unifies metal ores and stones by removing [ORE] tags" means, could you elaborate on this a bit more and how it makes it easier to add new metals and reactions.  I'm thinking this is something along the lines of how reactions often have two types an 'ore' and 'bars' option and you've removed that requirement because ore and bars are interchangeable?  If so how are the different yields form ores maintained and matched with the appropriate ratios for the final alloy?  It would seem to me that you would need even more ore based reactions which exactly specify two ores and produce a logical output consistent with the yields.  That might be tedious to write due to all the combinations and perhaps confusing to use but it would eliminate the weird 'magic' reactions like electrum from galena + gold nuggets in which the lead simply vanishes. 
Khazad the Isometric Fortress Engine
Extract forts from DF, load and save them to file and view them in full 3D

Khazad Home Thread
Khazad v0.0.5 Download
Pages: [1] 2