Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 287 288 [289] 290 291 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1543288 times)

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
Re: Discussion on TES V: Skyrim
« Reply #4320 on: January 05, 2012, 09:59:06 pm »

You really have no excuse to play (the PC version of) Morrowind without at least the community patch, and probably some major graphical mods too. Between the lack of mods and the interface, the Xbox version of Morrowind suffers strongly.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4321 on: January 05, 2012, 10:05:34 pm »

Between the lack of mods and the interface, the Xbox version of Morrowind suffers strongly.
It was still amazing though. I think I've already told of having to close every door behind me when exploring, because every open door took up a tiny space of the X-BOX's RAM all the time. If you were disturbing items and keeping doors open in various random caves your machine would begin to grow unstable. This is on top of game-breaking bugs with the expantions, like plot Spriggans that would not spawn for the Soulsteim main quest, or various underground oddities in Morunhold.

And really, in all seriousness, the world of Skyrim has an absolute ton of character. Various NPC's with attitudes but no real importance, custom lines, ruins and dungeons and forts with their own little stories and problems. To say Morrowind has more little detail stuff like that would be absurd. I really liked it when in one Telvanni fort there was a tower that led to a collapsed mine with various notes of the miners going crazy and being eaten by demons. Skyrim has that all over the place oh my god.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4322 on: January 05, 2012, 10:17:00 pm »

Wait, wait wait....

First, people are complaining that skyrim needs mods to fix it.

Then they say that morrowind is so much better in every way.

Then they say that you should never play it without a million mods installed to fix things.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #4323 on: January 05, 2012, 10:53:40 pm »

Wait, wait wait....

Then they say that you should never play it without a million mods installed to fix things.
You're confused?

Seems pretty par for the course.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4324 on: January 05, 2012, 11:08:34 pm »

Skyrim has the basic guts and proportions of Morrowind at heart with a weird aftertaste of Oblivion that makes a sort of uncanny valley effect. Associating one thing that was a disappointment to them with an old game they cherished in their younger years.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4325 on: January 06, 2012, 12:27:52 am »

Wait, wait wait....

I actually played vanilla Morrowind for my first long, long run-through. It was definitely fun, but bugs didn't help. I guess you could say people are pissed that now, in 2011, we still have to get mods to fix Skyrim. Of course, since Skyrim was more recently released, massive and easy-to-install mods like Morrowind's community aren't ready and finished yet. The popular Morrowind mods are quite reliable, whereas Skyrim's are mostly all in testing of some capacity.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Microcline

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4326 on: January 06, 2012, 12:32:18 am »

The problem is that Skyrim's problems are things that mods can't really fix.

Rant
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4327 on: January 06, 2012, 12:36:16 am »

Wait, wait wait....

Thats exactly what I was getting at by prompting someone to answer my post with "install mods" ;)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4328 on: January 06, 2012, 12:45:00 am »

Rant

I agree.

It's a great game, but the story, as a whole, is shit. The main quest is better than Oblivion's, but the rest of it is pretty half-assed.

Bethesda needs to hire Kirkbride again and make him lead writer >_<

Logical2u

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4329 on: January 06, 2012, 01:14:58 am »

I'm pretty sure children will do that too. The best part is that generic NPCs will sign their title to it as well. you can get these from Bandit Leader or Guard, I think.

I'm pretty late on this one, but if seeing the courier letter wasn't proof that that feature was broken, here's a letter I took from hired thugs...

which were hired by some subjugated ghosts I pick-pocketed (and then killed) in/near Rannveig's Fast.
This account is defunct - please contact me through other means.

Urist Mcinternetuser

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthulhu, the scariest Forgotten Beast of all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4330 on: January 06, 2012, 01:28:10 am »

It's a great game, but the story, as a whole, is shit. The main quest is better than Oblivion's, but the rest of it is pretty half-assed.

While the main storyline in Skyrim had more mission variety than Oblivion's, I still thought Oblivion's was more epic and therefore better.
Same with the Thieves Guild, but Skyrim's Dark Brotherhood missions were better.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 01:31:08 am by Urist Mcinternetuser »

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4331 on: January 06, 2012, 02:29:27 am »

Rant

That's caused by allowing the freedom to go almost wherever you want and do whatever you want. If dragons (or anything else) are to be a real tough enemy, unbeatable by normal characters, then you will face a lot of level checks before you can progress in the quests. "Go wander around and get stronger first," NPCs will then often tell you.

But if everything scale like what Beth did in Oblivion, Beth got bashed a lot for that. So they introduced the new idea of minimum level for some enemies, plus level locking once you entered an arena.

Like I said in my last post, enemies in the outside world have minimum level. I went to Saarthal too early and got destroyed by a sabertooth tiger. People got destroyed by the snow yeti on the way to meet the Greybeards. Enemies in "inside" zones get the level scaling and locking.

There is no perfect solution if you want to keep the freedom. Comparing to Morrowind and Oblivion I'd say it's an improvement. If you want scary dragons there's a mod for that... or just don't go tell the jarl of Whiterun about the dragon attack until you're high level (and crank up the difficulty).

Also dragons being weak is not only related to scaling; it's its stupid combat AI. I'm sure there will be mods later to let dragons use all the shouts available. Imaging having Marked for Death cast on you or a dragon getting to claw as fast as lightning strikes.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4332 on: January 06, 2012, 04:18:14 am »

That's caused by allowing the freedom to go almost wherever you want and do whatever you want.
No, it's not. Especially not when people are talking about how it didn't exist when you actually DID have the freedom to go wherever you want and do whatever you want, instead of the current status of no levitate and essential NPC's everywhere. It's caused by something else entirely, not freedom.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4333 on: January 06, 2012, 08:30:30 am »

I'm pretty sure children will do that too. The best part is that generic NPCs will sign their title to it as well. you can get these from Bandit Leader or Guard, I think.

I'm pretty late on this one, but if seeing the courier letter wasn't proof that that feature was broken, here's a letter I took from hired thugs...

which were hired by some subjugated ghosts I pick-pocketed (and then killed) in/near Rannveig's Fast.
Must have been interesting arranging that deal after you killed them. I mean they've obviously been killed before but you STOLE from them, that's personal.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4334 on: January 06, 2012, 09:21:11 am »

Rant
I agree with every point. When you joined a faction in Morrowind, it felt like you were a part of the team. You started with very simple quests and you had to train for promotions. We also had a crapload of quests and you actually had to think to do them. You had to ask for directions, search for locations, etc. That's the problem with games nowadays. Games used to be have a deep interactive story.

Majority of the gamers want something casual. If it has explosions, big guns, good graphics, badass trailers before the release, a magical waypoint which which leads to the quest, no puzzles than your game is ready. People are still buying that horse armor DLC for Oblivion. Why? Because it's shiny.

Bethesda is just a money-hungry company like the rest now. Don't fix something unless it's broken eh? Most of my favorite series are getting dumbed down actually. Hell, the real life is getting dumbed down. Who reads books nowadays?
Pages: 1 ... 287 288 [289] 290 291 ... 896