Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 121

Author Topic: RTD horrors  (Read 216787 times)

carp

• Bay Watcher
  • the biggest fish around.*
    • View Profile
Re: RTD horrors - game 3 running, waitlist open
« Reply #420 on: April 20, 2015, 07:45:44 pm »

Cultists (basic ones, anyway) are pretty much useless outside intervals of 50. I don't think your turn four actions are going to work, carp.
I assigned them jobs that shouldn't need that much.
Carp carp carpcarp CAAR-ARP carpity carpcarp CARP CARP
Caaarp car-AARRP carpity carp-arp carppp-aaaarP.

*i'm looking at you biggerfish.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: April 20, 2015, 07:47:23 pm »

Never underestimate Murphy's law and cultist stupidity. It seems to be a running joke in this game that cultists love to drink dragon blood.
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Evonix

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring lovecraft antagonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: April 20, 2015, 07:50:26 pm »

I think he meant an orb of stalwart.
\/                                           \/
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 07:52:21 pm by Evonix »
Has descended into madness

Evonix

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring lovecraft antagonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: April 20, 2015, 07:51:47 pm »

Me ask people in poor countries if they have seen a large quartz sphere tell them I will give them carp if they tell me where it is and join my cult.
((Man, I sure am glad I am a vaguely octohedral chunk of obsidian!))
Has descended into madness

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: April 20, 2015, 08:52:02 pm »

Such betrayal! Such a misuse of my gift! I gave you life, and you seek to end mine? This world makes me sick.
Me: Weigh the souls of the traitorous scum! I am certain they will find themselves regretting their decision.
Armed guys: Train yourselves in the use of these weapons; they seem complicated to use.
100 dudes: Make friends with the kitten! Not all might want to live in the desert, regrettably. As such, I need someone to be the face of my cult; someone that handles foreign affairs and the like, as you lot don't seem to be able to.
75 persons: Go hunt for the dragon blood! And understand that the desert really isn't a place where they would be likely to bloom!
Leftovers: Spread good word about me on this magical "internet" place.

Weighing souls: [5] You weigh their souls. Their souls are some of the heaviest you've felt in a long time, and it wouldn't be surprising if these chaps had been stuck in the lowest part of your favorite afterlife until they were resurrected. Maybe bringing them here wasn't such a good idea. You make their bodies match their souls (mummy inquisitors now extremely heavy and slow)
cultists:
training: [4] They train with their new weaponry and are confident they can fend off most threats they come across now. They might even be able to deal some damage to a colossal monster if they have to. (armed cultists trained)
diplomacy: [5] They make such a convincing argument that Rabe is compelled to help you in the future (allies with Rabe)
gathering: [5] They find a bunch of the toxic plant and distill some extra dragon blood, they could use this to... remove some of the troublesome people they meet (gained dragon blood, 75 cultists now assassins)
internetery: [2] Dammit, they can't get the wifi working.

Altered for changed command
[5] You and your followers recruit excellently, bringing people who will likely help you onto your side. Some of them have technical knowledge, but it's not really that remarkable a feature (+300 cultists).

((Thats 375 cultists total, correct?))

Turn 4:
Koshu and 100 cultists: build and (using Koshu's telekinesis) launch a small communications satellite, à la Sputnik-1.
75 cultists: improve PR. If the satellite launch is successful, use that to improve PR.
175 cultists: recruit.
25 cultists: politely ask for stone from inquisitors

then I will weigh the soul of the... Tavern Wench.
It occurs to me to point out that Koshu's soul is:
1. due to telekinesis effectively weightless,
2. in another dimension entirely,
3. prone to causing flaying storms of glass (sand is made of glass) when threatened.

Come to think of it, #2 applies to all not-yet-summoned horrors, so that probably wouldn't have worked anyway.
((Souls are a weird issue, I would probably let him do it but it wouldn't accomplish anything until she'd been summoned))
Satellite: [5]  You're not technically close enough to do anything(weakened with distance + being in another dimension) but you offer moral support as your cultists build and launch the satellite into orbit with a huge slingshot they found (Satellite built and launched with no problems, cultists feeling empowered)
PR: [6] They shout over the radio about how awesome you are. It gets rather grating rather fast. (PR mixed)
recruiting: [3] They manage to get some people to join, but they got a rather sparse part of town today and didn't get as many as they planned to (+100 cultists)
solicitation: [5] The inquisitors are hesitant at first but your cultists insist that once they get their space program running properly they will use it to fight CARP (gained focusing stone from inquisitors)

Try to convince the inquisitors to leave us in peace, as the Tavern Wench is benevolent.
Cultists in high places: Talk about the need for free beer, and keeping bars open till early morning.
Recognisable cultists: Start an awareness campaign about the need for healthy food.
All other cultists: Be the campaign team for the cultists in high places, and get out the word of the Alcohol Party, and of the Tavern Wench.

Begging for mercy: [2] They don't seem to be buying it.
cultists:
politics: [4] The campaigns and speeches go off without a hitch. Your PR gets better. You have the party-lovers' votes. (PR is good, more well known)

Inquisitors: Draw attention to flaws in campaign
[5] They expertly point out that beer and Leg O' Lamb aren't exactly healthy and that most bars are open in "early" mornings at 1 to 2 am already, they just close for the "later" morning when people are actually waking up. They also bring up several points about the recent bouts of liver failure and refer to the medical reports saying that they had died of alcohol poisoning. All in all, they lambast your political wing and leave you picking up the pieces. A few of the inquisitors even get some fame for it. (PR is moderately bad, 5 inquisitors are now in high places)

Turn 4?:
Curses.
Lightly chasten those 50 followers for their failure. Still, I suppose it wasn't their fault. I will allow them to attempt redemption.
50 cultists: Attempt to get my PR back up again.
Another 50 cultists: continue recruiting.
100 cultists, look for an 'Orb of Stalwart'.

RAGE: [1] YOUR RIGHTEOUS FURY IS UNRIVALED! YOU STRIKE THEM DOWN WHERE THEY STAND FOR THEIR INSOLENCE! YOU USE YOUR HEALING POWER TO MEND THE TUMOROUS CELLS IN THEIR BODIES! (50 cultists now have cancer)

cultists:
PR: [5] They do an excellent job of mending your lackluster reputation. Thank goodness, you wouldn't want to come to a world where you get death threats every day would you? (PR now good)
recruit: [6] They spread the word about the great Smiley and her magical healing power and coat of many colors (they made that part up). Unfortunately not all people agree with them and some even join the hate crew. (+50 cultists, +30 inquisitors)
gather: [5] They find an Orb of Stalwart and an Orb of Storms. Why would someone as peaceful as you want to summon hurricanes? Well, I think you'll find that the bigger a storm, the fewer the problems it can't solve. (Found Orb of Stalwart 4 and Orb of Storms 1)

Turn four : (because people are posting that now) THIS IS OUTDATED Me ask people in poor countries if they have seen a large quartz sphere tell them I will give them carp if they tell me.
Carp: flail around comically to raise moral of cultists.
10 cultist: study why carp flailing is so funny with your new-found knowledge become jester cultist.
30 cultists: search for for dragon's blood flee and record the place if people start drinking it if not bring it back.
30 cultists: design saddles for giant carp about 2 meters and a half long.
5 cultist and half of any cultists gained in turn 3: start a smear campaign against ihatecarp.com say they are just jealous of all this free carp.
Half of any cultists gained in turn 3: found the extradimensional carp party and run for president wherever rabe is running for president.

Outdated? Then post the thing you want to do.

Me: Ask if TROG'S cultist's would rather follow a kitten than a gorilla cockroach thing... promise better retirement benefits than being killed horribly.
Kitten party: Try again, talk about K.I.(Kitten Industries) and how they'r recycling and making jobs.
50 cultists: Create a sign up booth near the posters for K.I. now that the students have had time to warm up to me ("K.I. is just starting out and we need strong people with strong minds(Some people should be setting up a place to start up,"should".).").
70 Cultists: Build a base near the scrap heap.
50 Cultists: Look for orb of stalwart and if they find it hire a moving van to bring it back.
30 Cultists: Get materials for a solar forge (Lot's of mirrors focus sunlight to melt metal.).

Koshu I think an alliance would be beneficial, I'm also interested in space travel and I can send some help if you need it.
Hijacking cultists: [2] You can't seem to reach any of them, their primitive brains are clearly not evolved enough to appreciate the glory of catdom.

Politics: [5] They manage to make an impression on people and despite the fact that Kitten Industries doesn't exist because you never made it, people are ready to invest in your franchise.
recruiting: [2] Where is everybody? Oh dammit, these must be those annoying students that actually look things up and realized Kitten Industries doesn't exist.
base building: [5] They build a solid bunker out of concrete they got from the hardware store and metal, and it looks like it could withstand a few bombs. Of course, it's not indestructable, but you could probably hole up there for a week or so without worrying about break-ins. Whatever this quick-dry concrete they got is, you might want to get more of it. (Sturdy base built)
Orb hunt: [4] They find an Orb of Stalwart, but there's no time to bring it back so they just note where it is (found Orb of Stalwart 5)
Magic workshop: [3] They manage to get some materials for a regular forge, like brick and concrete, but your more technically minded minions tell you that a solar forge wouldn't really work without some EXTREMELY strong light, the sunlight filtered through Earth's atmosphere ain't gonna cut it. (gained bricks and concrete)

((I'll come back in a bit to roll for the next few actions, this is a lot of stuff to go through))

wipeout1024

• Bay Watcher
  • I lie, but I tell the truth too.
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: April 20, 2015, 09:18:56 pm »

Beg for mercy again.
Cultists: Fight the bad PR, and continue campaigning.
Ain't nobody got time for that.

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: April 20, 2015, 09:26:30 pm »

CARP thought "if they join me" was pretty clear recruiting (the sign up booth is recruiting too.)
Too much flavor, the substance was lost in the spice. also, recruiting and PR are separate things. Regular success only gets you one, and I defer to the first.

this is my new turn four
Me ask people in poor countries if they have seen a large quartz sphere tell them I will give them carp if they tell me where it is and join my cult.
10 cultist: study why carp flailing is so funny with your new-found knowledge become jester cultist.
40 cultists: search for for dragon's blood flee and record the place if people start drinking it if not bring it back.
10 cultists with internet and media knowledge: start a smear campaign against ihatecarp.com say they are just jealous of all this free carp.
15 cultists: get the focussing stone pretend to be the cloud guy's cultist and say it will be used to defeat the CARP or possibly cod not really sure which it is.

Finding orb: [5] You're not actually there but you manage to psychically commune with the locals enough to find that the nearest large crystalline sphere is two towns over. (Orb of Stalwart 3 found).

cultists:
jestery: [5] They learn the magiks of comedy and become JESTER CULTISTS. Of course, this means they will be exceptionally good at things revolving around raising morale. (10 jester cultists)
Dragon blood: [1] OH GOD IT HURTS SO BAD BUT TASTES SO GOOD! (-40 cultists)
Smear campaign: [1] your cultists get several death threats and alert the inquisitors that you're on your way to being summoned. Probably not a great move, in hindsight. (10 cultists depressed, +5 inquisitors)
Stealing the stone: [6] They slip it out of the hands of Koshu's cultists, then immediately drop it and the stone shatters on the ground. Dammit, all this carp must've made their hands all slippery (destroyed focus stone)

Inquisitors: break the Orb of Stalwart
[6] Their intel was good and they find the Orb of Stalwart and destroy it. The resulting dust chokes several of them to death. (Orb of Stalwart 3 destroyed, -40 inquisitors)

Whoops, missed one:

TROG: BE SLIGHTLY ANNOYED BY THE SETBACK! Then Recruit some more Anarchists.
50 Anarchist Cultists: Gather Summoning Materials.
50 Anarchist Cultists: Make Stone-Age Spears and SMASH THE INQUISITORS!

RAGE: [1] Actually you are quite calm. So calm you fall asleep and miss your next turn. No recruiting today! (sleeps through next turn)
Gather: [3] They find a few dragon lilies to make dragon blood from, but there's not enough to actually perform the ritual, they'll have to use their next turn gathering more (dragon blood found, needs one more turn to use for ritual)
Spears: [4] They build some rough spears out of sticks and rocks. Not too great, but if it was good enough for their ancestors it's good enough for them! They don't have time to kill the inquisitors, so they decide to hold off on alerting them until they can completely destroy them. (cultists lightly armed)

Me: Recruit more wealthy people.
100 cultists and 5 wealthy cultists: Build a fortress for me and my minions.
50 cultists: Recruit more generics.
5 other wealthy cultists: Recruit military veterans.

recruiting: [3] Meh, not a great haul but it could be worse (+25 cultists, +5 wealthy cultists, +2 veterans) ((dat 5 cultist recruitment man))
Building: [1] They spend a bunch of resources and accomplish nothing. Some cultists feel they are wasting time and money on nothing and decide to bail. (-5 wealthy cultists, -20 cultists)

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: April 20, 2015, 10:25:06 pm »

End of Turn 4.
score:
Unescargot: 155 cultists, 10 wealthy cultists, 2 veterans, 10 inquisitors in high places, 60 inquisitors, host of ihatecarp.com, access to Orb of Stalwart 2

Tavern wench: 95 cultists, 50 recognizable cultists, 5 cultists in high places, well known, moderately bad PR, 40 inquisitors, 5 inquisitors in high places, inquisitors active

TROG: 50 anarchist cultists, 50 lightly armed anarchist cultists, 30 inquisitors, access to Orb of Stalwart 2, partially gathered dragon blood, sleeps through next turn

Anthaju: 175 cultists, 75 armed trained cultists, 75 assassin cultists, access to Orb of Stalwart 1, has dragon blood, allies with Rabe via diplomatic power, 5 slow strong mummy inquisitors

Koshu: 375 cultists, 100 empowered cultists, mixed PR, satellite launched, 45 inquisitors

Rabe: 250 cultists, has sturdy base, posters put up, campaign for president started, has a bunch of metal, has bricks and concrete, access to Orb of Stalwart 5, investors on standby, 30 inquisitors

CARP: 55 cultists, 10 jester cultists, 10 depressed cultists, a bunch of fish, has plagued California with carp, destroyed the focus stone, 35 inquisitors, inquisitors active, inquisitors destroyed Orb of Stalwart 3

Rosabel: 100 cultists, 50 cultists with cancer, 100 slightly healthier cultists, good PR, access to Orbs of Stalwart 4, access to Orb of Storms 1, 30 inquisitors

InsaneRationalist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: April 20, 2015, 10:51:41 pm »

You're not technically close enough to do anything(weakened with distance + being in another dimension)
((Note to self: do not point out logical weaknesses in own powers.))
but you offer moral support as your cultists build and launch the satellite into orbit with a huge slingshot they found (Satellite built and launched with no problems, cultists feeling empowered)
... Rocket booster giant expensively?  ???
solicitation: [5] The inquisitors are hesitant at first but your cultists insist that once they get their space program running properly they will use it to fight CARP (gained focusing stone from inquisitors)
I kind of expected to have to pay for that, but okay.
Stealing the stone: [6] They slip it out of the hands of Koshu's cultists, then immediately drop it and the stone shatters on the ground. Dammit, all this carp must've made their hands all slippery (destroyed focus stone)
I am glad I did not pay for it.
Inquisitors: break the Orb of Stalwart
[6] Their intel was good and they find the Orb of Stalwart and destroy it. The resulting dust chokes several of them to death. (Orb of Stalwart 3 destroyed, -40 inquisitors)
This is a alarming development.

Turn 5 actions:
100 cultists: set up a base.
100 empowered cultists: aquire spacecraft components (solar panels, hardened computers, oxygen recyclers, etc) and bring them to the base. Do not bring rocket fuel or other explosives to the base. If the above group fails at setting up a base, help with recruiting.
125 cultists: secure Orb of Stalwart. Possibly by moving it to the base.
Koshu and 150 cultists: recruit.
Dwarf Fortress: where an exploding unicorn death factory is a goal unto itself.
If it has cute cuddly features, it's probably safe to eat, so do not reason with it either.

Adragis

• Bay Watcher
  • Edgelady Supreme
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: April 20, 2015, 11:40:43 pm »

Sob slightly about my uncontrollable rage issues. Try and heal the poor souls I have diseased.
100 cultists: find dragon lilies.
50 cancerous cultists: Rest. Don't do anything strenuous, make sure you're comfortable.
Use happiness powers to make the cancerous cultists less upset.
Cry some more.
50 other cultists: Secure the Orb's position.

Dayum Smiley you're pretty nasty when you're mad :P
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 01:04:31 am by Adragis029 »
thincake

Sl4cker

• Bay Watcher
  • clouds are pretty :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: April 21, 2015, 04:33:37 am »

I am the first of my many rivals to be summoned into the world!

The world will now know of my vengance! My revenge is at hand! Egypt shall rise again!

Me: Weigh the soul of Unescargot before I go; he seems dangerous.
100 cultists: Go to the Orb of Stalwart and do the summoning ritual there! Don't forget the dragon blood!
75 dudes: Try to find a suitable base of operations!
Armed guys: Attack some of Koshu's cultists! From a distance of course.
50 Assassins: Assassinate Tavern Wench's cultists in high paces!
25: Learn how to mass produce the poison these dragon blood things have.
Quote from: Empiricist
I mean no one wants dead whales and abortion clinics juxtaposed with each other, but it's just something that happens! Like false vacuum decay!
carrot cakeu

carp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: April 21, 2015, 06:37:25 am »

Never underestimate Murphy's law and cultist stupidity. It seems to be a running joke in this game that cultists love to drink dragon blood.

aaaaaaaand it just looks so delicious.

carp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: April 21, 2015, 06:38:32 am »

I think he meant an orb of stalwart.

yes i did but that could still apply to him.

carp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: April 21, 2015, 06:49:04 am »

ME: turn a block of ground about as big as a house or two into carp underneath an apartment building causing a sink hole hopefully be a DF carp.
10 jester cultists: TRAVEL AROUND DOING LITTLE COMEDY SHOWS REVOLVING AROUND CARP TO TRY AND RECRUIT
EVERYBODY ELSE: RECRUIT RECRUIT RECRUIT
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 07:39:44 am by carp »

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: April 21, 2015, 06:56:11 am »

I'm made of clouds. Pretty much weightless.
Me: Whisper into the minds of more wealthy cultists
Military veterans: Train 55 of my normal cultists.
55 of normals: get trained.
100 cultists and 5 wealthy cultists: Build the fortress. I need a base dangit.
5 wealthy cultists: do research to find any useful rituals that my cultists might use.
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 121