Poll

How do you use this mod?

This is how I play Dwarf Fortress!
I use pieces of it
I use it for modding examples
I don't, I was just curious
Other

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 31

Author Topic: Civilization Forge Mod  (Read 78448 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: Civilization Forge Mod
« Reply #45 on: July 23, 2008, 01:45:27 pm »

By the way, I think the current version works fine with DF 39d, but I've got a few tweaks I'm going to put in to handle some stuff Toady was talking about. So, I'll probably have a new version up tomorrow morning.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 24, 2008, 10:09:52 am »

And, Toady is faster then me!

Ok, new version is up for 39e. 1.5 just changes a few minor details in the entity definitions. Should make the Frost Giants slightly more active in the world, and most of the 'Dark' aligned races will now mod your fortress the way goblins do instead of hang around sieging the way humans do.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

jellyman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 14, 2008, 04:17:47 pm »

Just downloaded this and gave it a run with 39f.  I am getting half a dozen civs come trading every season which is great fun.  I can have my kitchen running full tilt buying out caravans full of cheese and making roasts.  Hobgoblins bring a lot of cheese when they trade.  And buying every metal item in every caravan to melt in my magma forges.

Maybe when I'm established I'll have to kill all the caravans and get sieging chaos (if thats the way it works).

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 14, 2008, 04:51:03 pm »

That should work. I haven't tried it yet, but it's on my list of things to do. Been too busy to do as much with DF as I'd like.

I may have a new version up sometime soon with a few Civ tweaks and the new languages in place, though.
Come play Mafia with us!

Jakeypoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 17, 2008, 11:33:46 pm »

I find it's a lot faster, more chaotic, and fun, to just add the "BABYSNATCHER" tag to every civ... well, almost every civ. They then will *all* ambush and siege, which is awesome, and the armies will all be inter-mingled because they keep stealing each other's babies.

I had a half goblin/bugbear force siege only to run into a chaos dwarf force and wipe each other out while my five legendary marksdwarves (they got plenty of "target Practice" in the previous two years) watched from atop my green glass walls. Good fun.

I also tweaked Spheres and ethics so wars are more common, lost a settlement of 7 dwarves to a siege of 50ish High Elves once, they came in mid spring of the first year o.O

All in all, good fun mod, I tend to tweak bits of it (take out clothing for attackers because, well, mess) Also, i've noticed that, when not modded to be babysnatchers (not changing anything from your mod) The Frost Giants *hate* archery targets. Whenever they come to trade, they knock down any and all archery targets they see.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 18, 2008, 12:23:34 am »

Yeah, the current version has them with BUILDING_DESTROYER. Which made them smash down wooden doors and such back when they were just a hostile race. No so good now that they're neutral. So the next version is going to remove that until Toady fixes the bug that makes friendly building destroyers hate archery targets and statues and whatnot.

Glad to hear you're enjoying the mod! Sometime in the next few days I'll have a new version out with a few tweaks and unique languages for each race.
Come play Mafia with us!

Nonanonymous

• Bay Watcher
  • A blithering idiot
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 18, 2008, 12:38:32 am »

Just change it to [BUILDING_DESTROYER:1], they won't seek out constructions and wreck them, but they'll still be able to.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 18, 2008, 01:00:37 am »

Nope. It was [BUILDING_DESTROYER:1]. I had a bug thread about the Frost Giants destroying all my statues. According to Toady the only difference between 1 and 2 is that 1 can't destroy as much, but they use the same logic.
Come play Mafia with us!

jellyman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 20, 2008, 04:10:18 am »

Game report:

Built a fort up to 80 dwarves with a focus on military - I recruited and trained early and got up to 30 soldiers, and 10 or so war beetles.  Not the best equiped, lots of wrestling practice and not the best organised tactically in fights (if thats possible).  No ranged weapons and no traps.

And I couldn't stand up to constant raids by sand raiders and violet xelics.  It was a losing war of attrition, with each raid maybe killing a weaker new recruit, and sending an experienced soldier to bed for rest.  And then after a double raid first by Xelics with a couple leaders, and then sand raiders, all my expert soldiers are in bed with wounds, and all the lower skilled guys dead.  So I decide time to restart.....

I guess my next army will have to have crossbows, and maybe I'll have to learn to use traps to play this mod....

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 20, 2008, 09:51:48 am »

Yeah, having all these extra enemies attacking really ups the challange rating. My last fort had almost every single goblin attack lead by a Frost Giant! All I can say is that my habit of using archers in towers was a lifesaver. I had them ambushing me before I had more then 4 soldiers, and my two melee guys didn't stand a chance. Fortunately, I'm in the habit of building lots of walls and whatnot to funnel my attackers into a single area, which makes it easier for my archers to be effective.

That and the other attacker I had most often was bugbears, who aren't much of a challenge.

Thanks for the report! I like hearing other people's stories about it.

In mod news, I'm wrapping up the new languages for everyone, so I should have the 40a version out sometime this week. Possibly today, if I'm confident that everything works ok.
Come play Mafia with us!

Stromko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 21, 2008, 12:53:07 am »

Yeah, the current version has them with BUILDING_DESTROYER...  remove that until Toady fixes the bug that makes friendly building destroyers hate archery targets and statues and whatnot.

Yes, they freaking LOATHE my statues and archery targets. They destroy every statue and archery target in my fort every time they come by. For now I think I'll just have to start stealing from the frost giants and hoping they start sieging me instead of trading, because at least then my dwarves will defend their statuary! I could just remove that tag myself but I'm too lazy just yet. :)

This should get quite interesting when there's sieges, I've found them too easy as of late, but getting multiple sieges a year (once I start pissing off a few of these civs) should help that.

edit: I just realized that the unerring tendency of frost giant traders to destroy all archery targets and statues is ripe for mischief. edit again: I just found out you can't raise a bridge underneath a large creature. I also found out that if you set the lever that raises your bridge to (R)epeat, marksdwarves like to take naps under them when they're raised, even if you have a huge barracks and plenty of free beds. Wow!
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 01:27:01 am by Stromko »

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 21, 2008, 11:13:37 am »

Yeah, before I took the tag off them I was seriously considering making a death chamber for Frost giants full of statues and a water pump.

I've almost got the new languages in a state where I'm happy with them. Once that's done I'll post the new version.
Come play Mafia with us!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 21, 2008, 09:32:20 pm »

Ok, new version is up!
Come play Mafia with us!

Jakeypoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 21, 2008, 09:34:57 pm »

Ick! there goes another fort, this one killed off complements of 15 kobald ambushers with bows. in spring year 2. Trap immune ambushers with bows that are triggered by a very low population. Oh well, I love the total-war aspect of it all! Time to build a fortress suspended over an ocean  ;)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 21, 2008, 10:06:18 pm »

Yeah, it can get pretty hairy. Varies from fort to fort, of course.

Hmm...haven't really done much with ocean forts yet. I really need to try one of those again.

Oh, and random thoughts I've been having on new stuff to play around with.
1) Precursor races: Not sure who came up with the idea, but basically you have one or more immortal races that don't breed. They slowly dwindle as time goes on, but have armor and weapons that outstrip anything the normal races have.
2) Primative tribes:  Basically, turn all those Tigermen and lizardmen and whatnot into mini-civs. They'd be pretty limited in what they could do, but it'd be interesting to see them interact with the main races (and get absorbed by them).

Not sure when I'll have time to try these out, but if anyone is especially interested in one of them I can flesh it out a bit and give it a go at some point.
Come play Mafia with us!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 31