Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bug? dwarves stuck in a loop bouncing off of each other.  (Read 784 times)

Intrinsic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Bug? dwarves stuck in a loop bouncing off of each other.
« on: February 13, 2012, 02:19:39 pm »

Hi all,

I just noticed this in my fort, i did do a search of the forums and mantis but turned up nothing so apologies if this is known and i missed it somehow.

In the screenshot below i have 2 dwarves, both going back and forth along the red lines bumping into each other and then going back the other way until they meet again and then repeating the process over and over and over. I'm guessing at some point if they get lucky enough to hit each other around where the green arrow points they'll sort it out, but it's been a while now and no luck. Is this a known issue/bug? should i upload my save and report it as a bug? maybe there is someway to kick them out of the loop?

Any info appreciated,

Intrinsic
Start Duelyst with a bonus 100gold, use referral code: Buttfungus
Enter during signup or ingame under Settings.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
Re: Bug? dwarves stuck in a loop bouncing off of each other.
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2012, 02:22:16 pm »

have you tried setting traffic designations? it sometimes helps.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2012, 02:23:27 pm »

Well, my guess is maybe the corridors are too narrow, and they keep doing the DF equivalent of that 'sidestep dance'.
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

Intrinsic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2012, 02:32:32 pm »

have you tried setting traffic designations? it sometimes helps.

Yes that worked thanks! they freaked out for a bit flipping back and forth along 2-3 tiles and then worked it out.

The right side guy was trying to get out to store an item, the other was going to pick one up on the right side, so they just went loopy. Bigger corridors would have helped for sure but i was just exploratory mining for gems.

Thanks both.
Start Duelyst with a bonus 100gold, use referral code: Buttfungus
Enter during signup or ingame under Settings.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2012, 02:38:00 pm »

You may have just unintentionally made a great repeater.

Uronym

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2012, 02:42:55 pm »

You may have just unintentionally made a great repeater.

but, they require food, sleep, and drink! And surely, it will break eventually, and they'll get it sorted out, and your repeater will stop.
What I think we're saying is we need dwarves to riot and break things more often.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2012, 02:53:39 pm »

Normally, dwarves will pass each other even in a one tile wide hall.  I think, but I'm not sure, that they recheck their path before passing, though, so that could be why they keep looping.

I second the suggestion to use traffic designations.  Set the bottom half of that loop to restricted (d -> o -> r -> designate the restricted area) and leave the top half normal, and one of the two dwarves will change directions the next time they repath (assuming their goal isn't in the restricted area).
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"