Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Your Current Fortress Features...!  (Read 2977 times)

valkuma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Your Current Fortress Features...!
« on: April 17, 2012, 03:19:57 pm »

I thought this would be a fun idea.
What does your current fortress feature?

Mine has..
1. A big execution tower out front, which looks like a normal watchtower until you get to the top and theres a giant pit with upright spikes.
2. An enclosed entrance tunnel complete with a raisable drawbridge to force trapavoids onto weapontraps -> into a pit, and a field of 100 cage traps for sieges.
3. The first level has one of each stockpile, expandable depending on how full they get. Also the trade depot, and separate rooms full of craft workshops (the Carpenter room, Masonry, Craftworks, Smelting and Furnace, Cloth and Leather, Foodworks)
4. The second level has my Dormitory and meeting hall, as well as my entire furniture stockpile
5. Third level - Apartment Complex. Each dwarf has a 1x3 (of open space) room with a bed, Table and Chair. Each noble has a 1x8 open space apartment with Bed,Table,Chair,Armor,Weapon,Cabinet,Coffer,Coffer all made out of iron.
6. The other half of my third level also houses the Barracks and Danger room. Danger room only exists because im playing with an extra 6 hostile civilizations from the siege mod.

And those are all my features for now. Still dreaming of new things to add.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
Re: Your Current Fortress Features...!
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 03:23:15 pm »

I can only run small pop fortresses, so my fort has: too many goblins.

Seriously, by the time I drag away all the corpses the next siege arrives.

Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

valkuma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 03:29:50 pm »

XD I like that one Garath, back in 40d I had that happen all the time, now it seems in 34. i can rarely get invaders, even with 6 extra hostile civilizations. Cage traps help since you can just stockpile goblins till you have a good opportunity to cliff em

ALSO:

i forgot to mention. my ENTIRE fortress is constructed out of Rock Salt. Every workshop. Every door. Every peice of furniture. Every constructed wall and floor. The only exception is the iron furniture for nobles.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 03:43:30 pm by valkuma »

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012, 04:11:29 pm »

Sounds like a badass fortress, it should include some heads on spikes somehow...  8)
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

valkuma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2012, 04:16:51 pm »

Sounds like a badass fortress, it should include some heads on spikes somehow...  8)
Its pretty bamf. I think all that salt makes the dwarves super thirsty though, because theyve managed to stockpile over 1000 each of Dwarven Wine and Dwarven Ale from my automated farming.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2012, 04:20:16 pm »

Dwarves are always thirsty, I have three stills running 24/7 and i turned it off when I hit 3000 units, and in ap opulation of 150+ dwarves, it somehow dropped to 1000 in about three months... :o
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

Tolisk

• Bay Watcher
  • [ANGRY_MAMMOTH=TRUE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2012, 08:24:48 pm »

My current fortress features a major river for a moat, and a large drawbridge to cross it.
Also in a forest area, that has been clear cut.
In the grim darkness of DF, there can be only FUN

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2012, 09:18:04 pm »

I can only run small pop fortresses, so my fort has: too many goblins.
I've got the same thing, but currently all of my goblins are still alive in cage traps. Right now I'm stripping some 80 or so of them that I'm then going to release all at once in a small room as a training exercise for my military dwarves. I figure it will be a good stepping stone as I work my way up through all of the various monsters that I've caught until I start to get unleashing the war cave dragons that the goblins brought with them.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2012, 09:38:52 pm »

My current fortress has alternating 4-tile-wide stripes of cinnibar and microcline in the 25x25 dining room, with a single white line along one edge for the fancy caged animals (currently a flying squirrel and a giant toad) and masterwork statues.  There are 7x3 cobaltite areas alternating with 7x3 blocks of weapon traps in the entryway.  All of the workshops are made of quartzite.  It started out as red-white-and-blue, and is now red-white-blue-scarlet-and-turquoise.  The rest is all shades of grey, including the iron upright spears traps.

The cemetary is in the layers beneath the forge area, nestled between sections of the magma sea and surrounded by semi-molten-rock.  The founders have tombs in the two lowest areas.  Killed necromancers are buried in coffins kept in a locked room on the lowest area.  The third-lowest area features tombs for the nobility.  The fourth-lowest, right below the forges, is where everyone else has their coffins.  This is also where the incinerator is located.  As soon as the magma crabs go away, I will be able to empty my refuse piles of corpse corpses and dead goblins.  The corpse stockpile is located in an alcove of the forge area, isolated by a diagonal entrance to control miasma.  At the moment the only thing in there is some living Dwarf's back teeth.

Water is from a well dug into the aquifer.  I was lucky and happened to drive my central staircase down in a place where the aquifer does not exist.  It is the best of both worlds, and absolutely necessary because the surface water has contagious stagnation.

So far there are three floors of 50-unit bedroom areas, 3x3 for each room (5x5 for the nobility).  The hospital is half the size of the dining room, and is completely equipped.  Stockpiles are 11x11 surrounding the central staircase, in clusters between cavern layers where the staircase remains sealed in its 3x3 casing.  Workshops alternate with stockpiles.  The farms are in soil layers above the entryway, which enters a hillside.

We have one war grizzly bear and are hoping to be able to buy another one soon.

The baron is the mayor is the bookkeeper.  It saves on office space.  So far the only mandates have been for gauntlets, and there has not been a great deal of unhappiness over missed deadlines.  He is still contented.  He was the broker also for a while, but I felt sorry for a trader who arrived and found no work so I shifted the job off the (at that time) mayor.

Every migrant who showed up for the first half-dozen waves of migrants was a relative of the first wave of migrants, and then suddenly everyone was a complete loner for the rest of the total.  I guess I tapped out the Mountainhome and DF generated random Dwarves for the rest.  Current population is 248 (100 children) and 222 animals (17 war animals).  FPS is about 45.
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Alidus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2012, 05:09:08 am »

Unfortunately my new fortress features... an indoor well and cistern and some workshops.  :-[

My previous fort ended up with the Nemesis loading bug and I didn't have backups. The previous one had a huge outdoor enclosure for grazing animals, large underground tree farm, cavern turned into catacombs with an underground lake, a meat grinder gauntlet leading to a 'fake' entrance that I could open to lead a siege into and watch them get chopped to bits trying to get through the long twisting corridor full of traps and then I could close that and open another entrance to make them go through all the traps a second time if any were left alive.

I also had a trading lock blocked by retractable bridge over ramps at one end and a drawbridge at the other, linked to one lever so that direct passage into the fort is never actually open - the depot can be accessed from inside the fort, or outside the fort, but never both at the same time.

RabblerouserGT

• Bay Watcher
  • ETHIC:NONBELIEVER:SHUN
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2012, 07:56:57 am »

My fort/factory specializes in the art of misery!
It is powered by goblins, dwarves, and food, but outputs pure pain and suffering through horribly planned constructions, bad judgement during seiges, and overall newbishness. Funny how this game can make even the most seasoned pros feel a newb all over again.

Seriously, though. My forts generally only feature the basics. I'll arrange them from top level to bottom.
  • Farm
  • Legentary dining hall
  • Living quarters for peons
  • Living quarters for the more noble peons
  • Hospital
  • Jail
  • Some empty unmined floors
  • Production/factory floor full of workshops

I've only once made a cistern, but when it became stagnant, I gave up that losing fight. Though I may start them again  since it's more stagnant-resistant than, say, rivers or other sources of water after using DF to clean them.

..and then the child Praiseincest shall be dipped in the river of Pregnantjuices! Rejoice! The son of Armok has been born!
My dwarf worships the goddess of suicide. This can only bode well.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2012, 08:37:41 am »

Fortress name: ScorchedSkies

5x5 embark.  Rocky wasteland (no surface plants/trees, no surface water).  Aquifer in a soil layer 1 level below surface.  Untamed wilds.  Deep marble, scarce tetrahedrite is the only metal.

-virtually all constructions/buildings are blocks

-very large central area of the map enclosed by a ditch, then a 2 z-level high double wall (2 layers of wall, 3 tiles between is roofed.  The second level has fortifications, the inner wall of the second level does not.  The second level is not roofed over.  Some corners have turrets built into the wall, some corners have have a towers built the 3-tiles in from the wall.  The walls/floors are all blocks of granite/marble/quartzite.  Tower floors are microcline blocks.

-outer structure is roughly L shaped
______
|    ___|
|__| ---

-there is a long causeway on z-level 2 as marked on the diagram with (---).  It allows wagon access.  There are 2 retracting bridges, one to the north is 5-wide and allows access to the second floor of the depot building.  The second connects south and is used so the causeway can be skipped by citizens retrieving corpses and scrap metal.  The causeway is protected by a battery of 4 masterwork ballistas that fire copper bolts.  They are manned by 6 legendary siege operators who began training as children.
-The trade depot building is on raised stilts, and only connects to the rest of the fort via a retracting bridge to the main tower to the west, and a retracting bridge along the outside that connects to the eastern battlements.  Inside the building are two rooms, each housing a depot of gold.  These rooms can be isolated via a 1-tile wide retracting bridge.
-in the center of the southwest section is a tower of marble, with granite/microcline floors.  The center of this tower has a spiral ramp that goes from the top, down at least 50 z levels, piercing the aquifer.
-the first level of soil has a chain of 10x10 rooms along the south and western walls, providing workshop areas and space for subterranean trees to grow.
-The north-western area has a very large part of the first z-level channeled out, allowing grasses, but no plants or trees to grow.  This is pasture area.
-The north eastern corner has a tunnel leading to a small enclosed building onthe edge of the map where sand can be collected.
-The north eastern corner has the aquifer at z-level 1, there is a water-wheel station here (see thataussieguy's thread on free aquifer power with no fps loss)  There's a large patch of mud where I accidently build a waterwheel next to the primer pump.
-The power station provides power for over 100 pumps that i've recently used to clear a roughly 20x35 sized area of the aquifer at once.  This is the site of a future open-air pit/quarry.
-Subterranean tomb for memorials for fallen megabeasts, forgotten beasts, enemy generals, dwarves, named war-pets, and were-beasts.
-Zoo for captured were-sloth (haven't thought what to do with him yet)
-Tower in the south-west has a mass-pitting station for caged trolls.  This drops them for marksdwarf target practice.  I've noticed they can destroy retracted grates, which is IMO a bit silly.
-The magma forges have a adjoining dormitory and dining room.
-There is a trap for cave-creatures.  I've caught giant olms, dralthas, several blind cave ogres, some troglodytes, and a female jabberer.  I hope to breed the female with some captured male war jabberers from a previous siege.
-The fortress has growing and viable population of war tigers.
-I plan to build a torture-room, where disarmed goblins can be beaten to death with wooden weapons while chained.
-The countess is insane.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

zoutzakje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2012, 11:15:26 am »

my current fort has 1 dead dorf killed by an alligator, 5 dead dorfs killed by eliphants, and 1 miserable lonely miner. It is now summer.

valkuma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2012, 09:38:44 pm »

Well now my current fortress features... Nothing! because i had to move my installation folder to a new partition everything is BROKE. @.@