Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Let's Play NetHack! The quest for Ascension  (Read 5163 times)

TheMyohani

• Bay Watcher
  • The Gutgrinder
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play NetHack! The quest for Ascension
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2013, 11:40:24 am »

Spoiler: Advice (spoilerish) (click to show/hide)

I know of the place you mean. I'll try get there in part 4 for some fantastic puzzling action!  :)

Well here is the next part.

--------------
[Part 3: A New Companion]

Well to kill that unicorn I am going to need to level up and get more defence and attack capabilities.  I leave Minetown through the up-stairs.  The enemies from earlier are still there but are not as dangerous this time as I have much more hp. I light my lamp then wander a bit around the dark level and find the stairway up.

I find that up stairs was where I was before but as move about I manage to run into several traps and fall down a trapdoor. again.  This is one of the reasons why the Gnomish mines can be dangerous early in the game as there are many traps and these trapdoors can plunge you unprepared into a lower level with many monsters.

The trapdoor takes me back down a level.  I try to get back up but I run into a yellow light.

The blindness is not permanent but things can be very dangerous until it wears off.

In a somewhat ironic twist, just before I ran into the yellow light I picked up a blindfold. Had I worn said blindfold and made myself blind I would not have been blinded.

I carefully move back upstairs. I walk in to a monster and I start (quite literally) blindly swinging my sword. It lets out mumbled curses but I manage to kill it. Level up!

According to my characters amazing ability to tell what any object is just by touch, it was an orc shaman that I killed.

I continue carefully to the upward stairway and wait on it. I do this so I could jump up if I get attacked by monsters. (Many monsters have difficulty with stairs).

After waiting there for a while I can see again. I go up and leave the Gnomish mines.

There was quite a lot of monsters on this level (mainly giant rats and coyotes) but they were easy to kill  I make my way to a fountain. I dip my long sword into it hoping for something special.

Nope! I try again.

Damn! I try again. again.

Yay! It worked. :)

This sword has some special abilities but its increased damage is just what I need to murder make friends with that unicorn.

I go down a different set of stairs from which I came and I fight with a bunch of mordor orcs. My longsword skill increased.

I use the #enhance command and take my longsword skill to expert, the highest it will go. The orcs dropped a lot of stuff.

I am at the point of being over-encumbered so I take some furniture from the upper levels and make myself a little house.

I eat a giant ant corpse and it appears to increase my strength and dexterity.

I store some of my items in the containers then I go up a couple levels and start bless/curse test some of my items.

This means an item is blessed:

This means an item is cursed:

while on this level I encounter a housecat,  I run away and try to find some corpses. I kill 2 giant beetles and try and feed the cat with them but it does not work. I'll be honest I don't really know how to tame animals. In the end I just kill it and move on. (Heartless, I know.)

I kill a woodland elf and he drops some loot. His mithril coat is good as it provides almost as much protection as my banded mail and is a lot lighter.  His helm is cursed unfortunately but I kill an orc and use his helm, which takes me back to -2 AC.

I get attacked by 2 nymphs and they steal some of my items.  I chase them about until I fill them with daggers and eat their corpses for good measure. Unfortunately during the fight one of them zaps me with a stolen wand and it blinds me. I find a safe spot and wait for it to wear off.

After that I go to my house then I try to get down some dungeon levels. I kill a gnomish wizard and find a key. It might be useful at one point. I also find a tripe ration which I could use to tame a dog.

I notice that I have found a few scrolls with NR 9 marked on them so I read one. It was an identify scroll. That's fantastic to know now I use them to identify some of my items.  I use this one to identify my blessed steel ring.

That's pretty useful so I decide to put it on. While wandering I get attacked by a squad of  mordor orcs and their captain.  As I can fight them one at a time I manage to kill them all without taking damage.

Wow there a lot of orcite (goblinite's orcish cousin). Shame there are no caravans to dump this stuff on.

While I take this stuff back to my house I get attacked by a dog. I drop the tripe ration but it does not work so I pick it up and throw it at the dog and it becomes tamed. Yes!

Moon Moon welcome! :)

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2013, 11:27:59 am »

Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

TheMyohani

• Bay Watcher
  • The Gutgrinder
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2013, 12:29:37 pm »

--------------------
[Part 4: An Old Foe]

I start today by dealing with a dwarflord who has been messing up the floor I have my house on. I kill him and take his pickaxe. I then get attacked by a group of cave spiders

I dispatch them and continue. I see a yellow light so I put on my blindfold and run into him which causes him to explode leaving me unaffected. I go downstairs to Dungeon Level 5.

I kill another dwarflord and he drops a scroll labeled THARR, I have a few of these so I one. It is a scroll of create monster as it creates a soldier ant in front of me.

I bring some loot back to my house. I also fight some monsters and level up.

I kill another woodland elf and acquire a wand of digging. I could use it to make quick escapes if I need to.  I run in to a group of Uruk-Hai and they all start shooting poisoned arrows at me but thankfully they all miss and I kill them. From their corpses I find 2 wands, one pine the other tin, and 2 scrolls both labeled JUYED AWK YACC.  I kill an imp and he drops a granite ring.

I find a cat. I throw my fortune cookie at it and I tame it. Welcome Sir Fluffington II!

I get attacked by another large group of Uruk-Hai but I manage to deal with them. I wear some iron shoes that I find on their corpses. I find more JUYED AWK YACC scrolls so I read one and discover it is a teleportation scroll.

Sir Fluffington II kills a water nymph and she drops an iron ring.  I really need to start identifying these items.

I destroy a leather golem. It drops lots of leather armor.

I eat a tin of chameleon meat not knowing what it might do and it polymorphs me into a glass piercer. This process unfortunately destroyed most of my armor. I pray to Tyr and I am returned to my normal form. I also find a treasure zoo, which is pretty cool.

After killing everything in the zoo I collect about 1800 gold from it. I get attacked by winter wolf cubs who zap me with their frost breath.  However, since I am a Valkyrie, I start with frost resistance so it does nothing to me but it does however cause one of my potions to shatter.

On Dungeon Level 9 I find the Oracle;  A person who can tell you some tips for gold. I choose to avoid the Oracle for now.

As I explore the dungeon I kick down a door and...

AHH!! COCKATRICE! RUN AWAY!

(Cockatrices can turn you to stone and were the cause of death for my best character.  I've developed quite fear of them.)

I run back to my house and collect some throwing knives to fight the cockatrice.  I fight a nymph and eat its corpse and I think I have contracted teleportitis. (It causes random teleportation which could get annoying very quickly).

Using some of my scrolls I start identifying some of my items. I now know one of my wands was a wand of lightning and two of my rings, one  gives fire resistance the other gives free action (paralysis protection).

I go back down to level 9. I randomly teleport.

This is not a room I want to be in.

Thankfully I use one of my teleport scrolls and I am out of there. I go back and lead some of the enemies out of the room. I manage to kill the cockatrice with my knives. I also manage to kill the grey unicorn in melee quite easily.  You've got it coming black unicorn!

That unicorn horn will be useful for curing status ailments I might suffer in the future. I find another cockatrice and pin cushion him with daggers. It drops a corpse.  I wish I had gloves since if you can pick it up safely you can use it as a very effective weapon.  I kill a floating eye, eat its corpse and gain telepathy.

Telepathy is an ability that allows me to detect monsters when I am blind even through walls. With my blindfold this will be a useful ability.

I zap a water nymph with the platinum wand and it turns out to be a wand of sleep. I then zap here with the pine wand and it turns her into and iron piercer. It must be a wand of polymorph.

With the downward stairs clear I spend 5 minutes trying to get Moon Moon to follow me to the stairs so we could go to the next level but he seems too preoccupied with being stupid. I leave him behind. (I'll come back!)

Sir Fluffington II and I go downstairs to Dungeon Level 10.  I kill another cockatrice in melee this time.

Me 3 cockatrices 0. 

(Seems I am much faster than them so I can hit them move then move away before they hit me).

I find some plate mail but it is to heavy for me to use right now. I also find another upward stairway. I climb them and enter...

Sokoban!

This is a place where you must use your brain and your brawn to push all the boulders in the pits without getting any of the boulders stuck.

How will I fare? Find out next time!
Pages: 1 2 [3]