Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: Diseases - Everything related here.  (Read 7839 times)

StruckDown

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Diseases - Everything related here.
« Reply #75 on: February 14, 2014, 09:08:50 pm »

Been having a lot of issues with loyalty cascades when my schizophrenics go crazy. Is this a bug? If not, would be nice if there were a way to deal with mental health, like a building similar to a prison but an insane asylum to contain the insane until they recover or die(maybe tie survival to the conversation skills of the psychiatrist/appropriate dwarf.)

On a related note, do schizophrenic golems go insane?

kamikazi1231

• Bay Watcher
  • Meddler of Raws
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 15, 2014, 02:03:56 am »

Been having a lot of issues with loyalty cascades when my schizophrenics go crazy. Is this a bug? If not, would be nice if there were a way to deal with mental health, like a building similar to a prison but an insane asylum to contain the insane until they recover or die(maybe tie survival to the conversation skills of the psychiatrist/appropriate dwarf.)

On a related note, do schizophrenic golems go insane?

Making them golems is a great late game solution for their problem.  Another one is sacrificing them in a religious building for great rewards.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 17, 2014, 10:28:01 pm »

I think a disease, once cured, should not be able to affect the cured character again. I keep healing them and they get sick after a few minutes of RT...

A million times this.  A dwarf should never have the same disease twice, no matter what.

Also, defects and disorders should have a method for permanent curation.

kamikazi1231

• Bay Watcher
  • Meddler of Raws
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 17, 2014, 11:36:52 pm »

I'm against them never getting it again.  Maybe for certain diseases there could be a lifetime immunity.  For other diseases I think there should be like three seasons of immunity.  Would help simulate the seasonal cold or flu going around without a dwarf getting over the flu then catching it again a few days later.  A disease like the plague that has a high kill rate it should be one time and immune.  That way if you aren't vigilant with medication and let the plague spread you end up losing 15% of your population but don't have to worry about it again besides with new immigrants.  I could see a problem with tantrum spirals and loyalty cascades.  Would be cool if a dwarf dies from a disease if it both caused a negative thought in dwarves and a "glad his friend is no longer suffering" positive thought.  That way diseases killing a few dwarves aren't a fort killer every time.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 18, 2014, 10:59:05 am »

I think it'd be moderately easy to give yourself a little time before diseases hit.

1. Alter the 'give self disease' interactions to be useable only after ~1200 ticks, and give them [IT_CANNOT_HAVE_SYNCLASS:NOT_DISEASE_AFFECTABLE].
2. Add to all dwarves a 'give self immunity' interaction that's useable immediately and temporarily gives the synclass NOT_DISEASE_AFFECTABLE. Give it a wait period that's quite a bit longer than the time it lasts for. Give it [IT_CANNOT_HAVE_SYNCLASS:DISEASE_AFFECTABLE].
3. Add to all dwarves a 'give self vulnerability' interaction that becomes useable just before the 'give self immunity' interaction ends, and permanently give the synclass DISEASE_AFFECTABLE.

Let's make the 'give self immunity' interaction last for one year. What should happen is the following:

1. Dwarf pops on map.
'Give self disease': not useable
'Give self immunity': useable
'Give self vulnerability': not useable
So they use the immunity interaction. Shortly after that, the disease interaction becomes useable, but is blocked by the synclass given by the immunity interaction.

2. Dwarf has been on the map for eleven months.
'Give self disease': useable, but blocked by immunity.
'Give self immunity': useable, but still in wait period
'Give self vulnerability': useable
So they use the vulnerability interaction*. Shortly after that, the immunity interaction finishes its wait period, but is blocked by the synclass given by the vulnerability interaction.

3. Dwarf has been on the map for twelve months.
'Give self disease': useable
'Give self immunity': useable, but blocked by vulnerability.
'Give self vulnerability': useable*
So they use the disease interaction, if they have it.

This means that all dwarves will be healthy for one year after they appear. It's probably possible to make it so that a dwarf who's been on the map long enough sends out something to block the immunity interaction on any newly-arriving dwarf, but I haven't quite worked that one out yet. What I'd really like is a way of making at least the starting seven permanently immune, without having every dwarf to appear having that same immunity. Could maybe be done by making the diseases triggered by other creatures using a syndrome not immediately useable, with the delay allowing the starting seven time to put up immunity.

*And keep spamming it, since I left out the [IT_CANNOT_TARGET_IF_ALREADY_AFFECTED] to prevent capslock fatigue.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]