Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tweak for the "No Seeds Available" Issue  (Read 2833 times)

Batgirl1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Tweak for the "No Seeds Available" Issue
« on: January 10, 2015, 10:45:20 pm »

In above-ground farming, it gets rather annoying to find out *after* sizing and building the farm that there are, in fact, no seeds available for this location, for whatever reason.  Perhaps there could be more of a warning beforehand?  Something like "Improper Biome: Crops Will Never Grow Here. Ever. Seriously."? 

Also, it makes no sense to me that I can't have a working above-ground farm on a spot where wild plants were growing just minutes ago.  Is there a disconnect between wild plant growth and "seed availability" on a square, and can this disconnect be closed?

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
Re: Tweak for the "No Seeds Available" Issue
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2015, 11:04:20 pm »

It's because it's a mountain. Intended feature. No fix needed.

Now, maybe a few plants like potatoes that do grow on mountains added, yes.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2015, 11:09:32 pm »

I don't see any references to mountains in the original post (not to mention that most surface plants don't grow on mountains).
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2015, 11:16:34 pm »

Maybe there are some special crops that grow on mountains. Or perhaps you can only plant them during a short period of time per year.

But on the other hand, if everywhere has similar game play it is not fun enough. Currently it is perfectly possible to grow shrooms underground, even in desert and tundra biomes. Starvation can never be a problem if you know how to produce food.

The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Batgirl1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2015, 12:46:16 am »

I don't mind there being a restriction on mountains or other areas; I just would like an advance warning before building and, as I said, consistency: there are other plants there, so the restriction seems arbitrary.  If the area (and yes, this is a mountain--well, Volcano) is meant to be infertile, then shouldn't there be no wild plants for me to gather, either?  But if there are plants growing, then shouldn't I be able to cultivate those same plants?  I'd just like to be able to know in advance what to expect from my farm, either through a notification or through logic.

Aranador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2015, 02:25:50 am »

Or through the wiki :P

wobbly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2015, 03:00:11 am »

It's a bit of a tangent but I hope biomes are eventually reworked as most of those temperate mountain zones are actually warm enough for trees to be growing & you can see pretty easily if you move your embark pt from ocean to mountains it's not handling temperature change from elevation very well. I'd be happier if the warmer mountain biomes had scarce trees so I could embark on a mountain biome that had limited (but not zero) wood without expanding the embark to include forests.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2015, 11:00:53 am »

I don't mind there being a restriction on mountains or other areas; I just would like an advance warning before building and, as I said, consistency: there are other plants there, so the restriction seems arbitrary.  If the area (and yes, this is a mountain--well, Volcano) is meant to be infertile, then shouldn't there be no wild plants for me to gather, either?

Plants can be farmed in the biomes in which they grow, and no crop, fruit or tree plant has the "mountain" biome enabled, only non-grain grasses.

Gatherable plants grow = plants can be farmed

no plants can be farmed = no gatherable plants grow

I think you just ended up missing the biome border. You cannot embark on a mountain-only map, and borders between biomes can be difficult to spot. Apparently you gathered plants in the non-mountain biome, then built a farm plot nearby but in the mountain biome.

Re: Suggestions -
i agree, when building an aboveground farm plot, it'd be good to have a "no farming possible here, why even try" warning.
In addition, changing mountains around so that flat places were likely to accumulate some soil and became able to grow farmable plants and trees would make for better mountains. Great heights, steep slopes and particularly arid or exposed terrain could reasonably grow only grass or be entirely bare, but not entire mountain ranges, invariably.

Batgirl1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2015, 04:08:55 pm »

Plants can be farmed in the biomes in which they grow, and no crop, fruit or tree plant has the "mountain" biome enabled, only non-grain grasses.

Gatherable plants grow = plants can be farmed

no plants can be farmed = no gatherable plants grow

I think you just ended up missing the biome border. You cannot embark on a mountain-only map, and borders between biomes can be difficult to spot. Apparently you gathered plants in the non-mountain biome, then built a farm plot nearby but in the mountain biome.

Okay, that's possible, so thanks.  I'd still like the warning notice, though.