Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Empire Mode  (Read 6306 times)

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Empire Mode
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2015, 11:49:03 am »

It would be great to have three levels of interlocking abstraction instead of two. To be able to play not only sims and roguelike but also Civilization would be great.

To implement something like this in Adventure mode would be fun, but to get distracted on eating and sleeping and having a timescale of days would be annoying.
Cool, but wouldn't this likely lead to tongues having a '[SPEACH]' tag, and thus via necromancy we would have nearly unkillable reanimated tongues following necromancers spamming 'it is sad but not unexpected'?

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2015, 12:04:52 pm »

It would be great to have three levels of interlocking abstraction instead of two. To be able to play not only sims and roguelike but also Civilization would be great.

To implement something like this in Adventure mode would be fun, but to get distracted on eating and sleeping and having a timescale of days would be annoying.
With a further time dilation of 72, direct things from the Mountainhome for a bit, zoom into AI-built Marblecloister to figure out why those textiles have been taking so long and exclaim "Who ordered thirty-nine carpenter's workshops?"  Zoom in further to a marksdwarf to kill a nearby kea, then back to the Empire Mode to brood over the crippling lack of socks in your realm.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2015, 09:12:49 pm »

I keep thinking back to good ol' Empire Mode. 

So I like the idea that individual Sites have some degree of independence and can make decisions independently.  Let's say there are two Human fortresses nearby, A-burg and B-ville, that are both part of the same civilization.  A-burg is wealthy, so you do a lot of trade with A-burg and boost up the friendship with your own Empire.  But B-ville has poor defenses and a few resources that you really need but they don't export, so you send raiders to steal from B-ville, angering them.  If the Human civ says "hey, stop picking on B-ville, we're going to war!" A-burg might say "no way, those guys are our friends!" and refuse. 

There could be various effects from A-burg's refusal.  A-burg might join your Empire and fight against the Human civ instead.  A-burg might simply ignore the capital's request for troops and remain neutral.  A-burg might erupt into riots or civil war with half the population wanting to stay and half the population wanting to go.  These outcomes might be influenced by actions by the player.  For example, the player could send a threatening raiding party or a caravan full of bribes or skilled negotiator to achieve a more positive outcome.  The personality of A-burg's leader (mayor, baron, etc) could determine what effect the action has.  For example, a prideful leader might be angered by threats, or a non-materialistic leader (i think that's a personality) might be angered by bribes. 

But independence should work against the player's sites as well.  For example, let's say the player does manage to annex A-burg as a result of the previous scenario.  After 100 years, you might not need to trade with A-burg anymore, and the relationship begins to cool.  Meanwhile, the Human civ falls under the command of a crusader king that wants to "liberate" the humans from dwarven rule, so he sends his negotiators to convince A-burg to secede from your Empire.  There could be simpler causes too, for example a dwarven fortress in a savage biome might constantly request troops to keep the population safe, and get mad and secede if their requests are repeatedly ignored.  I think the default state should lean toward dissatisfaction with the player, so if your dwarves create a new fortress out in the hinterlands that you never have any interaction with at all, it should eventually try to secede from your Empire.  I think that would be more realistic and it would prevent the player from reaching the boring state of having completely conquered the world. 
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

Spitzkrug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2015, 01:30:10 am »

In a topic of mine i asked too for this kind of mode. It would be awesome to build your fortress like in df mode, then command a ruler as in adventure mode (i mean in a unique mode) and then do politics and send armies to the enemies like a 4x game. The battles would be awesome, like choosing the squads formations (like you can move the entire squad of archers together and change their formation), positioning and so on
Pages: 1 [2]