Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Suggestions for Combat Experience Mechanics; also, Weapon/Armor Wear  (Read 856 times)

Huntthetroll

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Disclaimer: Please ignore this post if something similar has been suggested or considered already.

1. Modifiers to combat experience gained in a fight, based on the difference or ratio between your current combat experience and that of your opponent.
  • If you are more skilled than your opponent, you should earn less experience from hitting/blocking/dodging them.
  • Likewise, if you are less skilled than your opponent, you should earn more experience.
  • I believe that this change would make risk-taking more attractive and grinding (e.g. auto-wrestling ravens to get legendary skills in one day) less attractive in adventure mode. As your character becomes more skilled, you should experience diminishing returns from fighting unskilled opponents, like badgers or random peasants.

2. Modifiers to combat experience gained in a fight, based on the difference or ratio between your size and that of your opponent.
  • If your opponent is much smaller than you, you should gain less blocking and dodging experience, as well as more striking experience. As a general rule, I think smaller creatures are easier to dodge and block but harder to hit.
  • Likewise, if your opponent is much larger than you, you should gain more blocking and dodging experience, but less striking experience.
  • Again, the intent here would be to make combat more challenging and grinding less effective.

3. Weapons and armor should experience wear from combat.
  • Weapons should take damage from hitting things, while armor should take damage from being hit.
  • Wear should reduce the effectiveness of both weapons and armor, if it doesn't already do that.
  • Higher-quality weapons and armor should take longer to wear out, and artifacts should experience no wear whatsoever.
  • The intent of this mechanic would be to make longer-term play in fortress and adventure mode more interesting. Fortress mode players would have a reason to keep their armorsmithing and weaponsmithing industries going indefinitely, and adventurers would have a reason to go questing and tomb-raiding indefinitely.

kontako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestions for Combat Experience Mechanics; also, Weapon/Armor Wear
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2015, 10:39:19 pm »

Do you think we should also earn more experience for fighting monsters that we haven't faced off against before?

I'd assume that the timescale needed for any actual damage to appear on weapons or armour would be too great (more than a few days / weeks of fighting). Even if any major damage would occur to your armour within a single battle, it would've probably resulted in your death anyway. eg. spear holes in the breastplate.

Although the need to re-sharpen your weapon (probably with stones you pick up) seems reasonable to me as an option in the 'x' menu. I'd imagine having your strikes blocked or clash against your opponents armour would result in weapon wear.

Since most of crafting in adventure mode isn't available yet, it would be cool to have a local forge in human towns where they could repair your gear and then act as a place for the adventurer to practice and repair once it's introduced.
"Confederacy of Businesses"?! By Armok's Blood! These Communist animals are CAPITALISTS!
"This town ain't big enough for the two of us, turkey"
*gobbles menacingly*

Huntthetroll

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestions for Combat Experience Mechanics; also, Weapon/Armor Wear
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2015, 10:57:58 am »

-snip-
I like all of your suggestions, especially the idea about sharpening edged weapons. I also agree that it would be absurd to have weapons and armor wear out during a single battle.

I have one adventurer that has fought in hundreds of battles over the course of a year, so her gear should definitely be showing some wear.