Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: An Archaeologist in a Dead Land (experimental cooperative worldbuilding)  (Read 901 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Leftover Potential
    • View Profile

This differs somewhat from what I usually do, but I thought I may as well post it and see if people take to it, considering that this sort of thing won't perish a horrible death just because the OP wanders off.

The idea here is something similar to the cooperative worldbuilding threads you may have seen before, where people take turns filling out details about the world. The difference is that here each new detail comes in the form of an archaeologist exploring the aftermath of that world. Each participant takes a turn describing what the archaeologist finds, and what they think it implies about the history of the land. That could be discovering new places, digging up artifacts, cataloging the native flora and fauna, or whatever else you can think of.

I don't feel like coming up with concrete rules for how this goes down which I then have to enforce, I'd rather people just try to have fun and work things out as they come up. However, I will suggest a few guidelines:

Give other people a chance to participate, try to avoid double-posting.
Regardless of what you add, try to retain some sense of mystery. Don't have the archaeologist stumble upon a book which explains the entire history of the world at once, leave room for other people to add.
Try to keep things compatible with past additions. You can present new theories or perspectives, but don't directly contradict previously established facts.
It's my intention that the world that the archaeologist explores is effectively a dead, barren one. Whatever history this land has happened in the distant past, rather than being currently unfolding events. That's just a general guideline, however.

Finally, I humbly request that you remain polite, even through disagreement about the way other people bring the worldbuilding. This is supposed to be a cooperative exercise, after all.

After a long and hard journy, calm waves bring us here; an enexplored, and as-yet unnamed land mass. Looking from the deck of the our ship, the Hare, I could make out tall grey cliffs rising above the waves, with only the barest, hardiest flora visibly clinging to it.
The sea here is calm, and the fresh air invigorating, yet so far, what we've seen of this place, which we have dicovered? It's pretty miserable. Grey, lifeless. A couple strange insects buzz around, but thus far we've not seen a single bird pass us by or any other large animal. The feeling is as if the very ground rejects life.

And yet, that just makes me more curious. The first sign of life is a collection of caves set into the cliffs. Some scattered tools and ruins show that they were at least inhabited at some time. I wonder what we'll find inside?
Always remember!
Pumsy loves you!

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Archaeology Journal, Day One.
Professor Artill Dougris

Moon: Waxing Gibbus
Wind: 8 mph, northwesternly
Sky: Gray, overcast, particularly droll (*1)
Time: 11th mark of the Imperial Sundial

When the Hare arrived on this strange land, my initial and, perhaps in hindsight, naive musing that this continent would be a flourishing ecosystem full of life and potentially even civilizations on par with that of our ancestors, were bashed against the rocks. Much like the first dingy we tried to land on the rocky shore. If this journal establishes nothing else, let it stand as a testimony to that poor vessel, the Kit, barely wet a quarter of an hour before it sank beneath the waves. Let us hope our journey does not follow it's forlorn example.

Stepping upon the shore, I was rather amazed. Not because anything here is particularly amazing, but in fact, the contrary. As far as the eye can see, there is nothing but rock and dirt. Yet... there is some life here. These strange insects. They are trisected creatures, having a head body and thorax. Two sets of wings keep them aloft in their insistent and unforgiving buzzing. They seem to have taken a fondness to Jorrings, the poor sod. Yet, they must be getting their sustenance somewhere. That at least is encouraging. Their grey coloration is similar to the rocks indicative of this area, which implies some sort of predation, likely nocturnal in nature, in their ancestral linage which has positively correlated with increased likelihood that those who have greater similarity to the surroundings are therefore, more difficult to spot and thusly, harder for predators to prey upon. This increases their average lifespan and makes them more likely to reproduce, compared to perhaps brightly colored specimens. Though I'm sure none who would take the time to read this would need a recap of Arch Mage Darwin's dialectic on natural selection and evolutiomancy.

Still, my hopes are high that nearby insectivores (*2) may be discovered. Yet in the meantime I have endeavored to explore the cave as pointed out by a fellow member of the expedition whom is believe to be an archaeologist by trade. They haven't given me their name yet, though I imagine I've heard it before and it's recollection will return to me in the night like a dust sprite upon the pillow. Ah, the strange spirits of the homeland, how I miss them. I should keep an eye out for spirits of this land as well. In any case, I shall journey into the cave and log what I see there shortly.

Upon entering the cave I discovered several things of note, though I do believe my companion's accounts may delve into these discoveries with vigor as they suit their particular schools of learning moreso than mine. While the caves themselves were indeed natural as Jorrings had hypothesized, it was clear that they had been inhabited at some time by a race of neolithic creatures. We found several skeletons, of various species, mostly animalistic, but of those humanoids we discovered, one race dominated the site. They measured between five and nine feet tall, suggesting either sexual dimorphism, or perhaps, continual growth over their lifetime. Really I'll have to refer that to the orthologists among us. Yet, even one as I am, untrained in the art of fleshmancy, can see that their lives were not pleasant. Strange markings upon their bones, as well as the twisting and scarring of their most base structures revealed that some had been affected by some sorts of magics throughout their lives. That, or, a terrible terrible twisting sickness. And to be honest, looking upon the land hither, I begin to fear the later. Yet not all is lost, for these tribal behemoths did indeed what all creatures who lack the wit and skill to create do. They steal. One of my fellows did discover something most unusual among the heap of bones, likely a pile of remains from the meals of these savages (*3). Though I do not wish to get ahead of their examination, I do believe they have found an artifact that indicates that these twisted cave barbarians (if that is not giving too little credit to the barbarous peoples who do not live in caves, of course), were not the only race of "intelligent" life on this blasted barren continent. More on this as it is discovered, the night draws close and the sky already turns a sickly bruised purple as the sun sets over the horizon, the nearby cliffs casting shifting shadows over the camp. I do sorely regret the decision not to sleep upon the Hare, for I fear I may come to discover the aforementioned nocturnal predators in a manner most unpleasant...

Footnotes

(*1) The meteorological phenomena of this region make absolutely no sense. The sea air is crisp and salty yes, but somehow, it seems as though as soon as one wanders inland more than a few meters, it grows stale among the continental doldrums. One must speculate on what geological formations could possibly lead to the cyclical systems we've observed thusfar. Perhaps a mountain range stifles the cross of air across the continent, though, it seems as though that is unlikely, as that would create dead air, rather than these twisting slow moving eddies of air we have been forced to navigate while landing the Hare.
(*2) It is likely, given the specimens I've taken of these insects that there is indeed some sort of hunter which predates on this species. Though I have no hard evidence in support of this hypothesis, and may indeed by proven wrong by another member of this expedition, I would wager that such a creature would be near the size of a dog, say, four feet long. The sheer number of the insects and lack of clear competition for, admittedly, unclear food sources, would make me believe that such a creature would be able to grow to such a size feeding nearly exclusively upon the number of insects available to it. What is unclear is the manner of catching said insects, as it is unlikely that any such specialized predator would catch them individually, and over time, hunting strategies which allowed for catching a large number of prey insects with very little effort would out compete catching them one at a time. Though, it could very well be that no such predator exists, and a more generalist species somehow capitalizes on this resource somehow has manged to survive unchanged without any external competition. Truly a conundrum.
(*3) Within this pile there seems to be many kinds of bones, and while I cannot say what exactly they could have been, as they have been thoroughly chewed upon in a manner consistent with the dental typology of the natives described herein, I can say with certainty that there are indeed several separate species of various size and bone composition. Once we elect some poor sod to put these creatures back together for the Institute, we will know more. Yet I do know one thing, it will almost certainly be Jorring's who is tasked with this bohemian reconstruction, poor poor Jorrings.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 02, 2020, 12:32:02 am by Roboson »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Leftover Potential
    • View Profile

((After hitting post, I abdicated direct control over what my intention for the setting to me. I do happen to find Fantasy more interesting than the alternative, though. :P
It's totally within scope to invent your own new characters to be part of the crew. Maybe with different specialities, different perspectives. But I feel like The Archeologist should be their own thing. Or at the least not named after a forum profile, as they'll be essentially the main character and it wouldn't be fair for one forumer to take that spot.))
Always remember!
Pumsy loves you!

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

((After hitting post, I abdicated direct control over what my intention for the setting to me. I do happen to find Fantasy more interesting than the alternative, though. :P
It's totally within scope to invent your own new characters to be part of the crew. Maybe with different specialities, different perspectives. But I feel like The Archeologist should be their own thing. Or at the least not named after a forum profile, as they'll be essentially the main character and it wouldn't be fair for one forumer to take that spot.))

((All good in that case, because I do not intend for my character to be the archeologist and make a reference to them in my post as the unnamed crew member who spotted the caves, I'll add another line in there to make that more clear too. Though, in that spirit, I will likely rename this side character shortly, as I agree naming them with our forum names is likely bad form.))

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile

((Why not just have a crew of archeologists?))

Excavation Log, 2nd Day

It was on the second day of excavations that Assistant Groyle reported back his discovery of The Door. All present agreed that this must surely be the function or at least form of this object, but beyond that we were left bewildered.

Located in a section of cavern some fourteen feet high and eight feet wide, the discovery consisted visually of a pair of sandstone blocks in perfect proportion and set into the surrounding rock (a banded taupe chert, if Geologist Nichols is to be believed). Intriguing and clearly symmetrical designs sat carved into its surface, but what they represent has yet to be determined. Chemist Jakkery opined that such depressions clearly held precious gemstones and valuable metals at one point, refuted vigorously by Botanist Clemens.

What was undeniable, however, was that the edifice was utterly immovable to mundane efforts. Whether this was due to the sheer weight or some reinforcement in construction was unclear, but further attempts were aborted on account of the third preposterous quality of these stones: Their frailty. Even a casual brush of the hand crumbled loose sand from their face, and we were unwilling to further manipulate the object for fear of damaging or destroying it irrevocably.

Thus began a lively debate on the precise nature of these monoliths, giant and well-formed, clearly decorated in some manner, and yet so fragile as to have no right enduring the test of time. Clearly they could not have been used overmuch, else they would crumble. Yet why else build them and shape them so clearly as barriers to a passage? Surely as well, they could not have been of great interest (or else sacred objects to be protected) to the savages whose remains lay in prior chambers, else they'd have born some marks of barbarity from that vanished race (or races). No such remains were unequivocally found nearby, nor any great quantities of sand, though several fragments were located which variously have been called skull fragments, pottery shards, squid beak or close to it, and more besides. Geologist Nichols was unwilling to speculate on the nearest source of sandstone to draw such a construction from, but opined it possible that a source was not so distant.

I must confess, my personal feelings on the edifice aside (as I explained to Assistant Jorrings, many doors are spiritual rather than physical), I am delighted by the sense of animated curiosity this discovery has aroused in the crew. It is once again the unknown, rather than the momentous, that truly inspires those of keen intellect and curious mind.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Leftover Potential
    • View Profile

DAY TWO
CONSTRUCT AUDIO RECORDING BELONGING TO NYLILIARDEL ELF, FORENSICS WITCH

"Alyssia, Begin Listening!"

"Yesterday, we arrived at our destination. Unexpected, to be honest. I wasn't sure this place was going to exist at all, considering we set out based on some vague measurements of Earth Density. Have to say, I'm glad to see land.
Less fortunately, our communications apparently went out a while before we hit shore, so we won't be able to broadcast our findings back to the Institute until that clears up. I'd say that this land is clearly cursed, but I shouldn't speculate without data, because determining if things are cursed or not is literally my job.
Apparently everyone's freaking out about some door, but that's not my job, and that's not what you tune in to here for. Oh no, we have some skeletons."

"And no sooner do we discover evidence of a brand-new breed of sapient life than some jerkasses start callin' em savages. Heard one of the Docs refer to the larger skeletons as "twisted cave barbarians", shit you not. I'd love to say that I called them out on their disgusting cultural imperialism on the spot, but. Uh."

*Ahem*
"Right! Anyway, we've got all the bones brought into my lab on the Hare now, we'll just have to sort them out into complete skeletons. I put in a request for permission to cast Reconstructive Forensic Necromancy, but The Archaeologist says it's too risky to be reanimating strange bones we just now found.
A shame too, it's been a long time since I've talked to someone actually interesting.
Ha. Ha.
T-that was a joke, okay?
Um, but without using necromancy, we'll just have to sort out these bones the old-fashioned way, by hand.
JORRINGS, GET OVER HERE!"

"Alyssia, Cease Listening."

Always remember!
Pumsy loves you!

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile

Archaeology Journal, Day Three.
Pr. Santana Maria Guapez Alonzo-De Jardin
Moon: Waxing Gibbus
Wind: 12 mph, southwesternly
Sky: Clear, Sigilo de tiburón
Time: 9th mark of the Imperial Sundial

My fellows on this fine expedition have scattered about the caverns and environs like peacocks in a peahennery, salivating over the finds or otherwise. Indeed, last night's dinner conversation was carried on by talks of the 'Door'. Personally, my hypothesis is that the door is a grave of some sort. Perhaps esteemed members of the former inhabitants of the cave, but perhaps of yet another species (culture?) that existed (exists?) in this land.

In the legends and myths of the Empire and elsewhere exists always ancient unknowable creatures of some sort. In the Empire, we have the idea of fae, tricksters and gentry of sorts. Perhaps this door is a remnant of the local 'fae' culture and that due to the cultural understandings of the cave-dwellers, the door was simply not touched? It is truly quite interesting, but not at all in my current interests to study. Indeed, it would be more prudent to gather finer tools before performing an investigation of the door in-full.

Today, what interests me, and has occupied my entire day till now, is the pottery. Any scholar of the dead (or in the more refined jargon of the Imperial Society, an archaeologist) will know the importance of pottery. Its age, style, textures, decoration and material can tell you many things that even a written source cannot. For example, why does this cavern possess fifty-six (56) complete and unbroken examples of pottery with so-far four-hundred-and-twenty-five (425) shards accounted for? And why in so many styles (I have catalogued at least fourteen [14] styles amongst the artifacts)?

If I were to imagine even for a moment that the these pots were made locally, then I would register myself in an asylum; the local soil is generally lacking in clay. Furthermore, local sources of freshwater seem to be scarce. Whilst it would be possible for pottery to be made with oceanwater, the lack of tell-tale eutectic bonding glaze or efflorescence glazing on any of the pottery would suggest that the surviving examples were not made here.

In which case, we must think to ourselves, what lurks deeper inland?

P.D

La expedicion aqui posee un surtido de eruditos desde la amplitud del imperio y mas alla. Supongo que el imperio desea preparar la tierra nueva para su tributo y su pico. Pero, en mi opinion, la mayoria del eruditos (mi companeros) no desean mucho mas que descrubir las maravillas del mundo. Alternativamente, algunos de ellos desea buscar la gloria o las rizquezas. Es asi.

Al final y al cabo, yo un erudito. Pero, sirvo la corona de mi patria.

« Last Edit: July 02, 2020, 05:31:59 pm by micelus »
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Archaeology Journal, Day Five.
Professor Artill Dougris

Moon: Waxing Cresent
Wind: 8 mph, eastwesternly (*1)
Sky: Green Tinted
Time: 19th mark of the Imperial Sundial

Several days after discovering the remains of these creatures, Jorrings has still not reconstructed a single specimen. Though much, and somewhat heated debate has ensued during his meandering process. Some see these creatures as savages, I among them. I think the evidence to that is rather clear from the teethmarks on the bones, which as previously described match the teeth of the humanoid specimens discovered. Though inconclusive, the evidence points to cannibalism. Which as pointed out by a colleague is perhaps not enough to call these creatures twisted barbarians. On the other hand however, given how their bones seemed to have been reshaped and, in fact, twisted literally by some process, and cannibalism is indeed barbarous, until more is learned, I shall maintain my position. It just now occurred to me that this is also the likely cause behind the slow progress on reconstructing a skeleton. Perhaps I will lend Jorrings a hand next dawn.

Archaeology Journal, Day Six.
Professor Artill Dougris

Moon: Waxing Cresent
Wind: 0 mph
Sky: Green Tinted, light fog
Time: 8th mark of the Imperial Sundial

I decided not to help Jorrings after all. I was swiftly reminded how insufferable the process of reconstructing altered skeletons can be and I was rather reminded of the Bone Wars of my younger years (*2), let the young and enthusiastic, and Jorrings, handle this task. I myself have a more interesting task at hand. Earlier this morn there was a small rockslide on a nearby cliff face, and some of the hardy vegetation clinging to the rocks above has cascaded down, and I have been tasked with cataloging the rather unusual plants. Though I do fear, given the manner in which they became available to study, little of note could be discovered.

Time: 14th mark of the Imperial Sundial

I do indeed find myself in a most deplorable and pitiable state. While several species were located among the rubble, near all have been battered to bits. And so too I have come to join Jorrings in what is now, oh so lovingly being referred to by my most esteemed colleagues, as the "shit job tent." Though crass the title may be, it is woefully accurate. To see these once hardy plants reduced to but woodchips and green mush, well, it saddens my heart most solemnly. Which is further compounded by my proximity to Jorrings, who while nice enough, tends to whistle insufferably as he works. And, as mentioned previously, I have in my many years hence my birth, come to know the power of bones all too well. I shall commence and complete my task as quickly as possible, lest the shakes begin to return to these old hands.

Species One: Bonsai Cliff Hanger (Scientific Name Pending)
While it is certain that this species has no direct familial relationships to any found upon the Old World, perhaps some similarities could be drawn from the Isles of Iskravarak, a small yonwild island in the hinterseas of the Empire. It is hardly a place any would wish to visit, and I only had the misfortune of going there once on a similar expedition into the swampy mountains of that wretched isle. And while my task now is unrelated to the swampmuggins we studied hence, the vegetation of the craggy mountains, if one could call those lumpy protrusions from the soupy muck of the lowlands "mountains", did indeed display similar adaptations to the specimens brought before me now. Though I doubt anything more than convergent evolution as a result of similar conditions is at work here, the texture of the curving bark does inspire some connections. The cliff hanger has smooth gray brown bark, which seems in itself rather flexible and provides absolutely zil footholds for insects or dust to take refuge from the wind which seems to blow harder at the altitude of which this species is indicative. However, that is where the similarities between this species and the Northern Mountain Pine of Iskravarak end. The root system of this species was only partially recovered, and the long tears in the squat truck leads me to hypothesize that the rest of the root system stayed firmly planted as the majority of the plant tore away. This is further supported by the strange barbs upon the roots, which, judging from the packed soil around them, lends itself to the hypothesis that the root system of this plant is quite tenacious. The branches of the plant do not protrude horizontally from the truck, as would be the case of most species, but instead the truck splits and the branches continue upon the same line above the plant. This gives it rather a similar typology to broccoli and other cultivars of the Brassica genus. Though it's foliage, and I use that term specifically as these could not be confused with a leaf, are rather quite different than any I've previously seen. They are bulbous round things of a tough light green skin, which is unyeildy to the touch. To liken it to another species would do it injustice, as the only species which may have any passing similarity are of the Cactaceae line. In this specimen, where the differential bulbs do come to rest upon eachother, small bridges have grown between them, until the two form a lumpy connection, growing into eachother and becoming one. Further dissection will be needed in order to determine if this is simply a quirk of the species, or if it is meant to minimize the surface area that is unsuited to photosynthesis. Or perhaps even to allow for redistribution of resources among the foliage. Still, a healthy specimen will be required for any further analysis, and while I intend to nurse this one back to health, I do doubt my druidic influences will be well met by this devastated plant.

Species Two: Unnamed Black Frond
While this second species was discovered as we picked through the rubble, there is simply too little here to learn much. Before me lays a small black frond of some yet to be discovered fern. Its exterior is fleshy to the touch, and it leaks a strange purplish liquid from where the subject split from the body of the main plant. It does have leaves of a sort, a charcoal color with little sheen. Perhaps this specimen was already dead before it fell down the rocky slopes, for I doubt anything of this color could photosynthesize enough to support itself. I'll have another more skilled in the druidic arts examine the plant, for while I have gained a trick or two in my time, it is not my area of practice and there is no substitute for proper training in the green magics.

Species Three: Jorring's Monkey Crab (Scientific Name Pending)
I do find myself quite enraged by the following account and how it lead to the first true cataloging of a new species of this strange land. After the rockslide, a great deal of rubble and dirt was brought into the tent I now find myself sharing with that most deplorable lackey Jorrings. And while I was otherwise occupied with the floura that had been sifted from the piles as of yet, Jorrings and his incessant whistling chose to lackadaisically examine the pile. This is despite his arduous and lengthy task at hand, one which he has made astoundingly little headway into. Which, upon watching him work for only but a single mark of the imperial sundial, is clearly a result of his own lack of drive and diligence. It is due to that lackluster work ethic and an abundance of stupidity, that Jorrings pulled a rock which suited his plebeian sensibilities, from the bottom of my pile. And as if one rock slide had not been enough, the pile of stone and rubble collapsed and rolled into his pile of bones, as the two had been stacked right by eachother. Of course, this set him back several hours of work in cataloging the various bones he had piled herewith, and likely would have been devastating to any further samples I may have had awaiting discovery. While this was infuriating, Jorrings, who I remind you is not an indecent man, despite his shortfalls, offered to repile my stones and his bones while I took a meal and offered his most sincere apologies. Struck by his honest attempt to make amends for what was simply an oaflike blunder, I agreed that seemed fair and that all would be forgiven. I set out to took my meal as Jorrings let out an audible sigh of relief at being spared my wrath, which to be fair to him, I'm sure my face had turned a most murderous shade of red during the debacle. One mark of the sundial later, I returned to find Jorrings most enthusiastically whirring about, grabbing all sorts of supplies and furiously taking notes. It warmed my heart to see his transformation, and I was so glad to see that his blunder had awoken his diligence and enthusiasm. It wasn't until he showed me what he had discovered in my pile that I understood he cared little for his own task. He had discovered a small crab taking refuge in a skull, one of the few he had managed to catalog in the several days he had been working on his assignment. As a result, there was little chance that it had been hiding within previously and had crawled inside when the two piles had mixed. The creature was no larger than a pebble at first glance, but when shook from it's home into a specimen container I had prepared for the flying insects, it unfurled long spindly legs, two of which ended in rather imposing claws for a creature of that size. I would liken it to the genus Xanthidae, if it's legs did not more closely resemble that of the Inachidae . Despite his newfound excitement, when he told me he had named it for himself, I could feel that murderous redness return to my face. I no longer work in the same tent as Jorrings and have begun the paperwork for officially naming the creature something less deplorable than "Jorrings Monkey Crab".

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Leftover Potential
    • View Profile

((It's not cannibalism if you eat other species, just carnivorism. Which is perfectly natural and even much more dignified than being a filthy tree-eater like humans~

I should post the results of arcane forensics to-day.))
Always remember!
Pumsy loves you!

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

((It's not cannibalism if you eat other species, just carnivorism. Which is perfectly natural and even much more dignified than being a filthy tree-eater like humans~

I should post the results of arcane forensics to-day.))

((It is if there's teeth marks on all the bones. Now my character hasn't looked at them that closely, but they are indeed quick to jump to conclusions about the subjects he's not interested in. Though that distinction is up to someone else to decide.

That said, I have no idea what kind of scientist Artill is))

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile

I’ll post something later, when I think of something