Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Going insane after completing artifact  (Read 1139 times)

FoiledFencer

• Bay Watcher
  • keepin' it feudal.
    • View Profile
Going insane after completing artifact
« on: May 01, 2021, 02:56:56 pm »

I've been having some unusual issues with my current fort, where dwarves in strange moods will either fail to claim workshops, or begin working on artifacts but go insane before finishing. Now though, I've had one that finished his artifact and then went insane immediately after leaving the workshop. This was a fell mood, so it's possible that he was just too strung out, but I'm starting to wonder if there is something strange afoot.

Has anybody else seen this? Is it a known bug, or am I missing something?
"Lithrushâst Kúdlizat: Fetidfur, the slick notch, a grizzly bear leather loincloth. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is studded with zinc, decorated with grizzly bear leather and encircled with bands of grizzly bear leather. This object menaces with spikes of grizzly bear leather."

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Re: Going insane after completing artifact
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2021, 04:34:54 pm »

Dwarves are supposed to become immune to insanity after completing an artifact.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2021, 05:04:54 pm »

Are they? How does that work? They don't gain any more stress after creating an artifact?

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2021, 05:18:08 pm »

Are they? How does that work? They don't gain any more stress after creating an artifact?

They can max out their stress and tantrum, but not permanently snap.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

FoiledFencer

• Bay Watcher
  • keepin' it feudal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2021, 02:14:32 am »

They can max out their stress and tantrum, but not permanently snap.

I did not know that. Thank you for that insight. It sounds like a bug to me then - like the artifact isn't being marked as completed somehow, or the mood is not resolving properly.

Edit: on closer inspection it seems he's actually only Harrowed. False alarm!
« Last Edit: May 02, 2021, 02:47:06 am by FoiledFencer »
"Lithrushâst Kúdlizat: Fetidfur, the slick notch, a grizzly bear leather loincloth. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is studded with zinc, decorated with grizzly bear leather and encircled with bands of grizzly bear leather. This object menaces with spikes of grizzly bear leather."

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2021, 04:50:37 am »

I've been having some unusual issues with my current fort, where dwarves in strange moods will either fail to claim workshops, or begin working on artifacts but go insane before finishing. Now though, I've had one that finished his artifact and then went insane immediately after leaving the workshop. This was a fell mood...

Closest I've had was a fell mood that led to the dorf in question murdering a member of her own family in order to make her gory artifact.  She somewhat missed her family member (I think it was a daughter?) and was very sad a lot of the time, and eventually drowned in a well cistern (although I don't think it was a suicide, just a coincidence).
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!