Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Gems (comment)  (Read 1248 times)

sunshaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Gems (comment)
« on: February 22, 2010, 10:41:29 pm »

Reading up on gems I noticed something about the ornamental ones. I had to add this comment line to a disturbing number (about 20) of those gems "This is a gemstone variety of chalcedony a type of chert."

Every one of them is cryptocrystalline and has conchoidal fracture patterns (just like obsidian, flint and chert) which means every single one of them should be [SHARP]. While Opal and turquoise are not forms of chalcedony they do have conchoidal fracture patterns, again [SHARP]. Now I just have to wait for a Masterwork Opal Short Sword to show up...
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 10:54:54 am by sunshaker »

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
Re: Gems (comment)
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2010, 02:09:24 am »

Interesting. Mind giving a list so that people intending to mod this in can have a reference?

Some mods I've seen have given the [SHARP] tags to things like chalcedony, and indeed, in museums I've seen chalcedony knives used by ancient civilizations.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

sunshaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2010, 09:47:57 am »

Ok, I'll have to make a list from the raws but here goes (this list is also incomplete as I have only done the ornamental stones).

Generally speaking rocks that have a high SiO2 content have the potential to be cryptocrystalline or microcrystalline with a conchoidal fracture pattern which will allow them to be knapped into stone blades.

Always [SHARP] (these are cryptocrystalline rocks with a conchoidal fracture pattern)
Obsidian (70 to 75% SiO2), Flint (a type of Chert found in chalk), Chert (typically found in limestone, SiO2, including gemstone varieties of chert), Glass (SiO2), other non-crystalline quartz gemstones (SiO2).

Sometimes [SHARP] (these are microcrystalline rocks with a conchoidal fracture pattern, occassionally they have a small enough crystal size that they can be knapped, I just made a sub type called "fine (name)" and had it spawn in small clusters of the main type, ie fine basalt spawns inside basalt)
Basalt (45 to 55% SiO2), Felsite (can be SiO2), Quartzite (up to 99% SiO2), and Rhyolite (69+% SiO2).

Not [SHARP] but still used as ground stone tools (they don't get the [SHARP] token but could make reactions to make some stone tools, Greenstone Axes and Picks, Granite Anvils).
Greenstone* and Granite

List of Ornamental gems that are [SHARP]
Types of Chert (SiO2)
- all types of Agate aventurine, bloodstone, carnelian, all chalcedony, chrysoprase, all jasper, onyx, prase, sard, sardonyx,
Non-Chert
- all types of Opal (SiO2 but formed differently than Chert and occurs in different stones) and turquoise (CuAl6(PO4)4(OH)8·4H2O).

Yes there are many ornamental gemstones that are Quartz (SiO2) which I have not listed as [SHARP] because they are have a regular or whole crystalline structure and a non-conchoidal fracture pattern (basically they don't break right).

---

* Greenstone is not so much a type of  stone but a description of the color, meaning that other non-greenstones could have been used but for some reason the stones colored green were the only ones used (probably because they were easily identified due to their color). Greenstone artifacts were made of greenschist, chlorastrolite, serpentine, omphacite, olivine, and chloromelanite. Jade was also used, but it is historically not referred to as Greenstone but as Jade. While these saw use as axes they were not as sharp as the axes made of flint, they were however much more durable and lasted far longer (so they can make tools but they are not [SHARP]). Most typically made were Axes, Chisels and polishing tools, though others were made. See the Langdale axe industry.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 10:55:59 am by sunshaker »

CaptApollo12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2010, 12:56:36 am »

excellent investigation. 2 thumbs up
"MONTARON!  You are so AGGRAVATING!   'Tis disturbing to my demeanor..."