Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: DF defense game?  (Read 1621 times)

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
DF defense game?
« on: June 16, 2008, 05:26:23 pm »

Here is an idea: take Dwarf Fortress and make a clone of it as a defense game like all of those out there.

You would star out with a single dwarf, some food and beer, and a pile of arrows in the middle of a 3x3 space surrounded by fortifications and a door that could be locked from the inside on one of the diagonals.

You would have to survive wave after wave of goblins and other enemies with a small period of time between waves. 500 ticks?

You may get a choice of what to start out with such as a choice of an axe, or a sword and extra arrows.

The point would be to survive and collect immigrants(one every 5 waves?) while building up the fortress to withstand later waves. Said door would be indistinguishable from the wall and cost a door and a mechanism.

The attackers could damage the walls to get to you and you would have to manually repair them when a dwarf has time.

Anyways, what do you think?
Eh?
Eh!

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: DF defense game?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2008, 05:40:03 pm »

1) Nice funny idea.
2) No way to get it. I'm almost sure the Toady will not make it and noone else has the code.
3) However some talented scripter could do this. But it'd take a few years to script something like DF. In your suggestion you end with nice fortress which requires DF mechanics which are... genious and dark secrets, you know.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

McDoomhammer

• Bay Watcher
  • Uses: Ore of irony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2008, 06:18:47 pm »

It might be better to start from scratch, really, for the reasons above and because, although I speak from a position of ignorance, I suspect making walls destructible and repairable would be a non-trivial thing to implement.
"KILL, KILL, KILL! NOTHING SHALL STAND BETWEEN US AND THE CEREAL BAR!"
-The Violent Council of Breakfast

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2008, 06:20:49 pm »

It might be better to start from scratch, really, for the reasons above and because, although I speak from a position of ignorance, I suspect making walls destructible and repairable would be a non-trivial thing to implement.

Making walls destructible is easy.

Making enemies attack them is the hard part.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2008, 06:44:23 pm »

You woulds need no weather sim, or world gen, or even complex AI(at least at first)

The hardest part would be tha combat and body tracking, so I think I might be able to at least partly create something like this.

It could be done in stages, slowly working up to Dwarf Fortress quality stuff, but the main point is the idea and what it could lead too.
Eh?
Eh!

Kalimar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2008, 08:18:28 pm »

Nice concept, but increasing the siege AI of Goblins would be on grounds I'd accept. Defense games have gotten old. I've played them far too long (since Warcraft III) and many of them I've found to be repetitive and to have little replay value. Then again, Kobold Quest is defense as it is.

frostedfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2008, 12:41:54 am »

it sounds like those stick men defense games and that promotional one they put on for stronghold 2 :P
the spinning bb round hits jack johnson, scumbag in the lower body!
it is pierced through entirely!
his right kidney has been poked out!
his liver has been mangled!

jack johnson, raider has been shot and killed.

The above (including bbcode) neatly weighs in at 255 characters. Fallout meets DF

Kalimar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2008, 12:49:12 am »

it sounds like those stick men defense games and that promotional one they put on for stronghold 2 :P

Not to derail the thread, but one similarity I found in Dwarf Fortress when I began was Stronghold and Stronghold Crusader. I wish Stronghold 2 or any of the newer Firefly Studios releases were anywhere near the quality of Stronghold... but alas, companies change.

Zerox

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Rose Gold lover
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2008, 05:23:16 pm »

Not to derail the thread, but one similarity I found in Dwarf Fortress when I began was Stronghold and Stronghold Crusader. I wish Stronghold 2 or any of the newer Firefly Studios releases were anywhere near the quality of Stronghold... but alas, companies change.

Yep. Crusader/stronghold 1 were great games.

Anyway, I think the defense game, although fun sounding, would probably just end up like a DF clone, but with less Sandboxiness.
If that's a word.
It's Dwarves not dwarfs.

Seth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2008, 12:21:07 am »

I would actually love a game like this, it'd be fun to play around with

seriously, people need to stop asking for different modes of gameplay in DF and more of DF innovations in other games.  I'd love to play a more traditional RL with stuff like the DF combat system and non-class based skill gain system in it

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2008, 12:26:09 am »

If you noticed in the other thread related to this one(C and .bmp), I have got the font mostly loading, so this may be a reality someday.
Eh?
Eh!