Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Game went insane  (Read 1625 times)

Mustachio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Game went insane
« on: October 13, 2008, 06:36:48 pm »

so i was messing around with the raws, and i added the [MEGABEAST] tag to my colossal squid creature, which lives only in the ocean. I started up the df and CREATED A WORLD NOW! I looked at the legends and noticed strange entries where the megabeasts usually are: mermaids, giants, random animals in general. Next, i exported the gen info and read it. I was stunned to see caves with hundreds of fire men listed in their populations, 552 Hydras(probably because i set them as able to breed) and several thousand dragons. On the embark screen i was able to Tab between items and HUMANS?, able to bring " meat" and dwarf meat along. My question is: Did this occur because of my adding the megabeast tag where it shouldn't be? thats all that i did differently since i last genereated a world and checked the info. In any case, i ended up with a pretty kickass world.

sorry about the lack of proper english/paragraphing.

Mustachio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Game went insane
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2008, 08:34:09 pm »

okay, so i found that if you add a strange out-of-place creature into the creatures_domestic file, it makes cool things happen.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2008, 08:55:57 pm »

what was the name of your squid creature, as in what did it say in [CREATURE:??] because everything that you described would be a symptom of having duplicate  creatures in the raws. So the [CREATURE:??] must be unique.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2008, 09:42:45 pm »

Give us the entire DF folder. Now.

You had me at hundreds of fire men in caves.

552 hydras? My god, imagine finding a cave with many of them in it...
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2008, 02:06:02 pm »

okay, so i found that if you add a strange out-of-place creature into the creatures_domestic file, it makes cool things happen.

That can't be the reason. The only difference between that file and the other creature files is the name.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2008, 02:15:49 pm »

This sounds like Wizard Fortress.  Did you, by chance, update to a new version of DF just before tweaking the raws?  If you copy a new version over an existing version without emptying the data/objects folder, the game can go berserk.

Back when the first 3D version came out, people extracting it over an existing copy of 2D DF ended up with Wizard and Lizardman civs, psychedelic terrain, and all sorts of other problems.

Mustachio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2008, 08:17:15 pm »

i think roy hit the problem on the nose, i probably forgot to move the creature from its original position in the raws.

Anyway, pretty awesome glitch, if u want to duplicate it try simply copying and pasting a creature.

Kyselina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2008, 11:00:00 am »

My game gone nuts looong, long ago. It featured starting as WIZARDS, and everything instantly freezing to death.
Tun Athelbuket, farmer cancels sleep: Caged.

Axe27

• Bay Watcher
  • Put down the crossbow
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2008, 09:13:45 pm »

My game gone nuts looong, long ago. It featured starting as WIZARDS, and everything instantly freezing to death.

Strange.

And here I was thinking this was just another walk in the park....
And thus did the dream of dwarven antigravity fade away, not with a massive explosion or a flood of magma, but with a whimper.

I'm going to be depressed all day now.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2008, 12:21:54 am »

See my post above...

Kyselina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2008, 12:52:02 pm »

I did
Tun Athelbuket, farmer cancels sleep: Caged.