Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: World-Gen surrounded by oceans?  (Read 1201 times)

Tazgrent

• Bay Watcher
  • Suffer not the Elf to live.
    • View Profile
World-Gen surrounded by oceans?
« on: February 27, 2010, 11:44:07 pm »

I've also disliked "left-justified" fantasy maps and what-not, which leaves large parts of the world just trailing off the map edge. is it possible to gen a world where all of the land is surrounded by oceans? I've tried upping the number of edge oceans but that just seems to make small seas that touch the edge instead of increasing the area covered. I can't help but feel there are elves out there I can't kill because the map doesn't reach that far.
The only notable thing to remember about dwarf beards is that when a pansy human and a dwarf argue over whether or not shaved chicks are better, they're probably not on the same page.

dralloss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: World-Gen surrounded by oceans?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2010, 01:25:57 am »

I've also sort of wondered about that.
Sorry this isn't productive...

I just wanted to say that I love your avatar.

o_O[WTFace]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2010, 01:44:23 am »

You could, if you increased the total number of ocean tiles (massively), and the number of edge oceans (alot) and then batch generate a stack of +maps [40]+

So basically it would be hard and time consuming and there would still be little bits of land sneaking off to the edge. 
...likes Dwarf Fortresses for their terrifying features...

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2010, 02:02:28 am »

If you know how, you can create your own customized world without fiddling with the worldgen options. Just use this button here:

Personally, I haven't the slightest idea how it works, I just know that others have used it to create some pretty stunning worlds.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2010, 02:22:35 am »

There's no way for DF itself to generate an island world (it just doesn't work that way, too random). You can, however, make a custom heightmap and have one massive island in the middle. There's a program called DwarfHeightmap to import grayscale heightmaps into DF.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2010, 07:05:57 am »

Easy. You don't need to mess with the painter. As someone pointed above, just do the heightmap thing. I have detailed instructions here: http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=50221.0