Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Anyone know how fan-translation patches are made (for PSX games)?  (Read 5907 times)

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

A couple of years ago I began making an extensive effort to translate a PSX game that had never had an English release or fan-patch made online. After rediscovering my notes, I'm increasingly interested in trying my hand at making my own patch, but I have no idea where to start.

Are there any resources or tools people use for this sort of thing, or is it all brute force hex-editing of ISOs?

Thanks for any tips. :]
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

Blank Expression

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone know how fan-translation patches are made (for PSX games)?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2011, 12:54:33 pm »

Rip the game off the CD, apply a patch, create a new ISO with the proper headers.

If it's a Latin-character language to another Latin-character language it's often not too difficult, but if it's Japanese to a Latin language, there's often a need to patch code and provide new art assets to be able to display textual changes (which are often longer than Japanese texts and will run out of the dialog boxes, etc.).

Sabin Stargem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2011, 04:32:34 pm »

I would recommend starting with the Romhacking.net website.  That place has a large community and all kinds of resources dedicated to hacking videogames.  If you can actually translate and localize the text yourself and with some quality, then you might be able to team up with a hacker.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2011, 02:14:38 pm »

It all really depends on the game of course, every game uses different solutions for storing text. Definitely get in contact with people who've done this sort of thing before.