Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Extracts Article  (Read 1770 times)

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Extracts Article
« on: September 15, 2010, 12:58:53 am »

I'm no expert on extracts.  I've never milked a purring maggot or squeezed a moghopper.  But the Extracts article is wrong in so many ways.

1.  Extracts is not an entry in the Stocks menu.  I think it appears on the embark menu.  The article needs some clear idea of what counts as an extract, and why the term is even meaningful in DF.  I suggest: "Extracts are liquids extracted from animals and plants in a workshop.  Some extracts are currently functional, while others have not yet been implemented."

2.  The article is wrong on which extracts can be produced in-game.  I propose to reorganize it in two simple lists or charts: working extracts and non-working extracts.  Each entry shows the extract, the workshop that produces it, the ingredient, the labor, the value, and the use.

3.  Is there really a good reason to even have an extracts article?  Maybe it would be better to have a comprehensive list of liquids.  It could include references to the articles on water, magma, blood, alcohol, and milk.  I don't see any reason for lumping together a subset of the liquids and calling them extracts.  It might be interesting if extracts all came from animals, but apparently Gnomeblight comes from Kobold Bulbs.

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
Re: Extracts Article
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2010, 11:11:42 am »

RE #3) well, liquids other than extracts are pretty straightforward and easy to obtain, (if obtainable at all). I think the main thing that sets extracts apart is that they're products of a workshop, and not naturally occurring. (haven't looked at the article, though.)

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 01:21:45 pm »

Here's my first draft of a liquids list:

Liquids that flow (fluids): water and magma

Liquids that you can produce in a workshop:  Alcohol, Milk, Golden Salve, Gnomeblight, Liquid Fire, Venom from Phantom Spiders and Cave Spiders, Mog Juice, Dwarven syrup

Messy liquids: mud, blood, vomit, pus, ichor, goo, slime (Do all those get tracked around?)

Liquids that can only be purchased:  blood in barrels, venom from Giant Desert Scorpions and Giant Cave Spiders

If you can think of anything that's missing, please let me know.

Sadrice

• Bay Watcher
  • Yertle et al
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2011, 04:51:58 pm »

rock nut oil and honey at a press,  milk from from a farmers workshop.

ral

• Bay Watcher
  • Praying to arm_ok
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2011, 12:49:07 am »

Actually magma sort of flows yet doesn't flow. It moves like water, but doesn't have "flow" for waterwheel purposes. (It won't drive a waterwheel even when it appears to be flowing.)

I have no strong opinions on how liquids are documented though....

Jurph

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Belt-fed Weaponry
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2011, 02:43:15 pm »

2.  The article is wrong on which extracts can be produced in-game.  I propose to reorganize it in two simple lists or charts: working extracts and non-working extracts.  Each entry shows the extract, the workshop that produces it, the ingredient, the labor, the value, and the use.

Non-working extracts could just get a bullet list linking them to the relevant article -- blood, ichor, etc. -- while the workable extracts should get their own rows in the table.  Environmental flows (water, magma, smoke, steam, and miasma) are handled differently as either fluids or gases; they may be released or directed, but they aren't created by dwarves, they aren't traded, and don't have a value.

So I would narrow your table to include only producible liquids, and come up with a succinct way to identify items that are only useful as trade goods.  I think as long as there's a stub for extracts, we might as well make it useful.
Dreambrother has my original hammer-shaped Great Hall.  Towerweak has taken the idea to the next level.

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2011, 03:02:56 pm »

Posted by: Leonidas
« on: September 15, 2010, 12:58:53 am »

*Cough

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!