Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Can anyone help me with FBX meshes? (Banished modding)  (Read 1415 times)

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Can anyone help me with FBX meshes? (Banished modding)
« on: August 30, 2014, 04:05:56 pm »

Over here I've been creating a unique Desert terrain for Banished. I'd love to replace the trees with thematically appropriate flora, but I don't have anything to edit FBX mesh files. I downloaded a royalty-free cactus mesh and attempted to use it, but the internal structure isn't set-up in a way Banished understands.

I also posted a thread for it at BanishedMods.

If anyone wants to give it a try, here's the cactus mesh I attempted to use. From what I can gather, it needs a root node at the base of the object, named something simple like "rootcactus" or maybe just "root". And in terms of materials... I have absolutely no idea what Banished wants. The game includes 'material instance' resource files that appear to handle the loading of texture and AO (Ambient Occlusion map?), so maybe the mesh itself shouldn't contain this info? I don't know how any of this works.

I'm just really lost here. I tried copying the example tree that comes with the ModKit, but its mesh file has all the right settings already built in. As soon as I swapped the cactus in (and renamed all the stuff appropriately) I just got endless errors.

Any takers? You'll get credit when the mod's finished, of course. Thanks for any help! <3
« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 05:00:18 pm by Moogie »
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Can anyone help me with FBX meshes? (Banished modding)
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2014, 05:11:05 pm »

I don't have Banished, and so can't help much, but ..
I'd love to replace the trees with thematically appropriate flora, but I don't have anything to edit FBX mesh files.
There's this tool for converting .FBX files, and the newest version of Blender can import/export .FBX files.

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Can anyone help me with FBX meshes? (Banished modding)
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2014, 08:19:26 pm »

I don't have Banished, and so can't help much, but ..
I'd love to replace the trees with thematically appropriate flora, but I don't have anything to edit FBX mesh files.
There's this tool for converting .FBX files, and the newest version of Blender can import/export .FBX files.

Thanks for the tip! I messed around with it in Blender for a bit, but I don't really know what I'm doing. I have some ideas though, so I'll try again in the morning.

(Next morning edit) Well, all I've managed to discover is that Blender crashes too often for me to get anywhere. I've been trying to examine an example file (a fig tree) that was included with the ModKit, but it doesn't import to Blender correctly, regardless of whether I use that Autodesk utility or not (I tried both ways). The example tree has something called 'rootfig' inside it, that Banished references in its raws, but for the life of me I cannot find where/what this 'rootfig' is. I thought it was a node, like a bone or something, but Blender seems to strip all animation stuff out of the file on import. So I don't know. I'm utterly lost at this point. Tried everything I can think of. :(
« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 08:07:58 am by Moogie »
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.