Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is it possible to convince a military dwarf to obey burrows?  (Read 1080 times)

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Is it possible to convince a military dwarf to obey burrows?
« on: February 22, 2012, 10:49:45 pm »

Pretty much what the title says... In .31 and in the new one, any time I assign military dwarves to a burrow, either by assigning it, ordering them to patrol it, or...Well, I can't think of any other way to tell them to go there right now, lol. Anywho, they ignore me. Cilivians run screaming to a burrow (unless they are hauling something to a dump, then the stop in their tracks complaining about the dump site for what they're carrying being inaccessible... So annoying... DROP THE DANG ROCK!), but military ones... Tried a danger room, made it a burrow, they stand nearby. Ordered them to move inside, they stopped 5 tiles out. Set them to guard it, they stand outside, set waypoints inside order them to patrol the route, they stand outside.

Especially annoying during ambushes/sieges. I start it off pulling everyone in, and letting the baddies run a gauntlet through traps and what not. If they make it through, they enter the room with my guys. Annoyingly, even though I have their orders for my siege alert to guard their burrows, the moment I get an ambush or siege alert, they run out to attack.

Yes, I know civilian alerts don't apply to them.
Yes, I made sure they were set with a low enough number of individuals in the order.
Yes, I made sure they were following that alert order on the military screen, and the squad screen.

The only thing that works is to return them to civilian duties, then once I lock the fort down, reconscript them. That being such a hassle, I usually say screw it and let a few die before the traps start getting em.

Needless to say, I can't keep an active military for nuttin.
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?

Stromko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Is it possible to convince a military dwarf to obey burrows?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 11:10:44 pm »

Military dwarves are horrendous glory-hounds, the only way to keep them from charging the enemy is to keep the enemy out of sight or inaccessible.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012, 12:09:49 am »

Annoyingly, even though I have their orders for my siege alert to guard their burrows, the moment I get an ambush or siege alert, they run out to attack.

Remove the eyes.

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2012, 12:21:43 am »

Annoyingly, even though I have their orders for my siege alert to guard their burrows, the moment I get an ambush or siege alert, they run out to attack.

Remove the eyes.

lololol. Nice. Wish I could :p... Kinda:p
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2012, 12:28:50 am »

If you get moddy you can.  Add a new plant, and give it an ingested syndrome that causes eye rot.  Make everyone a siege pilot!

Barracks and creative doorways will be your friend here.  Make yourself a killing yard.  Whatever it needs to be, you know, a large flat area to do battle.  Place a burrow here to have your military dwarves go there, or place a weapon rack there and then make it into a barracks - so they'll go there automatically all the time!  Then, at the entrance to the field (where the enemies arrive from) build a series of short walls separated 2 apart each, and however deep you want it to be.  Spam doors.  You should end up with this:
Code: [Select]
#DD#DD#DD#
#DD#DD#DD#
#DD#DD#DD#
#        #
#        #
#   @@   #
##########
As the doorways open and close behind the enemy, they'll naturally block vision and your dwarves will only fight what comes through the entrance completely, and be entirely less likely to run out randomly.  A small issue, is that the doors will become "claimed by invaders" and you'll need to have dwarves walk through to "reclaim" them to lock.  You can simply not care though - they'll walk through an invader's door without a worry, it's just that you can't do any locking until they've been reclaimed.