Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Generating my world  (Read 1563 times)

Scruga

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McDwarf cancels eat: Interupted by goat
    • View Profile
Generating my world
« on: March 06, 2012, 10:31:54 am »

Hi guys,
Just got back from a skiing trip and that always makes me want to play Dwarf Fortress (snow + mountains do that to me), it also happens to coincide with the release of DF2012. And I’ve played a few fortresses but I want a different challenge. I want a world with these feautures:

-50/50 evil/normal
 -From freezing to scorching
 -2 cavern layers
 -No vampirism or werebeasts, but I do want a necromancer tower
 -No aquifer

I was wondering if that’s possible at all, and if so how. I’m a little intimidated by the many options an advanced generation gives you, halp?
New question! If I were to remove elves [INTELLIGENT] tag in the raws, would it work?
Dwarf Fortress: Where taking a creatures intelligence is an accepted way of modding.

rooth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Generating my world
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2012, 10:41:31 am »

This is still a great place to start; http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/v0.31:Advanced_world_generation

You can get rid of aquifers by modding them out in the raws, so that's a yes too.

You can get rid of vampires and werebeasts in the advanced settings by putting 0 in their 'secret' categories.

There has not been much breakthroughs concerning towers yet but it seems that genning a world for atleast a 100 years guarantees atleast one. Get legend viewer and scan your world to find them much faster.

Caverns layers are described in the advanced world gen wiki but; yes and it's really easy. I'd personally recommend you to get some space between the two caverns though; the beasties in there get worse each level so some breathing space between the two gives you time to get used to them.

The temperature thing; I personally reckon you should work with the http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/v0.31:Advanced_world_generation#Terrain_Mesh_Sizes_and_Weights and get temperature variance either really low[so that you would get two ''zones''] or really high [patchwork world].

Watch out with the preset ''minimum'' demands, better change those to prevent endless rejects.

Oh and, best way to get alot of evil seems to use the minimum evil and boost it up really hard; don't get too much though as that will limit civilisations. Towers also do not seem to spawn in evil, which is handy as this means you can get undead fun in an otherwise peaceful area.

Scruga

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McDwarf cancels eat: Interupted by goat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2012, 11:01:34 am »

Thanks those are some great tips :)
New question! If I were to remove elves [INTELLIGENT] tag in the raws, would it work?
Dwarf Fortress: Where taking a creatures intelligence is an accepted way of modding.

TinyPirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2012, 01:52:48 pm »

I have had towers in evil areas. I posted a world gen in the 2012 cookbook thread where SIX of them are in a small evil area'

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2012, 02:45:02 pm »

Perfectworlddf
'nuff said.
(you cant control temperature tough.)

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

NedeN

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2012, 09:52:57 pm »

Perfectworlddf
'nuff said.
(you cant control temperature tough.)

As good as PW seems to be, for some reason i still prefer messing with the adv param more, i feel like pw makes things to patchy, might just be me
I watched a zombie dwarf tear off a girls dress and hit her with it so hard it became lodged in her skull.

Ghoulz - 15 minutes could save you 15% or more on carp insurance.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2012, 09:55:18 pm »

I can't get over PW's strange system of measurement.  You can't paint "now this is 200 elevation" you can only paint "now this is 50% of something-elevation" and get somewhat unusual markings...  Unless they changed that recently, that was my biggest gripe.  No precise control that I could see.