Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Why do you play with the rectangular tilesets?  (Read 4402 times)

Kumquat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Why do you play with the rectangular tilesets?
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2012, 07:48:28 am »

Since square is a rectangle, I'd say we're pretty much stuck with rectangular tilesets unless Toady switches the game to use hex map.  ;D

Somehow I don't see that happening very soon.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2012, 07:56:16 am »

Hexagonal DF would be...

...I'm not actually sure what to say about that.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2012, 07:57:41 am »

Hexagonal DF would be...

...I'm not actually sure what to say about that.

I want to try it out. It'd be interesting for sure!

oven_baked

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2012, 08:52:23 am »

I believe there is a built in square set, Go into your D-init and enable it!

I play with it since it's easy to read, I hate graphical sets because they are ugly and it's harder to see what things are.
We just need to get Toady to embed a Lisp interpreter into DF.  Learning lambda calculus in order to play the game wouldn't make DF's learning curve much steeper.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2012, 11:26:18 am »

One thing I love about how Toady programmed DF is that the embark map adjusts what it displays based on the aspect ratio/size of the tileset you are using.  Export a map from Legends mode using a non-square tileset, then do it again using a square tileset that uses the same characters and you should see some minor differences in things, but the overall map will be the same. Genius. :D

Myself, I use square tilesets because I prefer square rooms to be squares on my screen. ;)

I definitely recommend trying a non-picture tileset to everyone.  There are a number of nice ones in the tileset repository in the wiki.  The one I use when I'm not using Phoebus is the font that the Phoebus set uses so its nice and legible. I do agree about non-square tilesets being easier to read sometimes, however.  It all depends on your preferences, your monitor and your display resolution.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

sadron

• Bay Watcher
  • Manic Asphyxiation
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2012, 01:13:04 pm »

I believe there is a built in square set, Go into your D-init and enable it!

I play with it since it's easy to read, I hate graphical sets because they are ugly and it's harder to see what things are.
Ah yeah I forgot the game came with several tilesets.

Urist McEngraver

• Bay Watcher
  • I like german.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2012, 02:31:58 pm »

When I first started getting into Dwarf Fortress, my brother installed DF with Mike Mayday's tileset, so I've always used that.

I sometimes use the default tileset and Phoebus, but the default tileset wasn't quite square and confused me.
Also, if you've got wooden furniture in the dining hall, you have some big issues anyways.
This is Dwarf Fortress, not the Fluffy Wambler Express.

sadron

• Bay Watcher
  • Manic Asphyxiation
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2012, 03:34:32 pm »

When I first started getting into Dwarf Fortress, my brother installed DF with Mike Mayday's tileset, so I've always used that.

I sometimes use the default tileset and Phoebus, but the default tileset wasn't quite square and confused me.
That's why I use Unknown_curses_12x12.

pbnjoe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2012, 04:13:13 pm »

Thank you very much, I've been wanting exactly what that set offers. Thank you thank you :)

expwnent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2012, 08:09:50 pm »

I recommend Bisasam's tileset, available on the wiki. It's just curses with a nicer font (also it's square).

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2012, 10:22:46 pm »

I use square tilesets mostly for the reason that when I make square rooms, I want them to look square. Also measuring for projects or fort design is much easier with both directions balanced and equal in scale.

I only really use rectangles otherwise to make sure it looks right when recording. For example, my airship in square tilesets looks rather stubby in design; switch to rectangle, and now it fits the profile a little better in design. In a sense, I sorta also designed it to look appealing in either tileset formats.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 10:24:45 pm by Itnetlolor »

sadron

• Bay Watcher
  • Manic Asphyxiation
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2012, 10:57:20 pm »

Thank you very much, I've been wanting exactly what that set offers. Thank you thank you :)
Glad I could assist. That set was basically the ASCII set I wanted, it was pretty much identical, just square.

pbnjoe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2012, 06:58:15 pm »

Glad I could assist. That set was basically the ASCII set I wanted, it was pretty much identical, just square.

Same here, because of:

I use square tilesets mostly for the reason that when I make square rooms, I want them to look square. Also measuring for projects or fort design is much easier with both directions balanced and equal in scale.
Pages: 1 [2]