Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Melting prisoners in cages?  (Read 1332 times)

Carric

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Melting prisoners in cages?
« on: December 04, 2012, 06:45:18 pm »

I captured a goblin snatcher who's visited my fort several times and escaped every time before this in one of my cage traps. So my question is, can I give him a particularly torturous death and melt him?

Kablob

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Melting prisoners in cages?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2012, 06:50:07 pm »

The obvious solution is lava.

Urist McKoga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2012, 06:52:40 pm »

I captured a goblin snatcher who's visited my fort several times and escaped every time before this in one of my cage traps. So my question is, can I give him a particularly torturous death and melt him?
In DF Wiki, cage protect only for water, not for magma, so is a good way to kill this goblin. But you need magma safe material to save you cage =P. http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Cage

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2012, 08:38:52 pm »

I personally researched this a while ago, and cages do transmit temperature to their occupants (and vice versa for certain hot occupants). You can make a nice reusable room with a steel cage to burn goblins.

Bates

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2012, 08:46:43 pm »

Does a cage made out of Nether-cap also transmit heat into or out of the cage?

Seraphim342

• Bay Watcher
  • Magma Cum Laude
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2012, 09:36:37 pm »

Interesting thought... never made a cage out of nether-cap.  Captures prisoners, then freezes them to death?  I like it! 
I like to think that on the other side of the world a human is walking on the beach, notices the water level suddenly drop twenty feet, and whispers "fucking dwarves."

"The cows seem to lose bowel control when launched... I consider this a feature."

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2012, 10:59:46 pm »

Interesting thought... never made a cage out of nether-cap.  Captures prisoners, then freezes them to death?  I like it!

It isn't cold enough to freeze creatures to death. It needs to be below 9900 U (-68 F or -55 C) for that.

I went for a swim in arena mode in magma using a fire man with a nether-cap jug filled with water. The water did turn into steam. This doesn't bode well for critters in nethercap cages.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2012, 02:24:36 pm »

At least the jug stayed refreshingly cool though.