Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38]

Author Topic: Revolution II - The Fires of Rebellion: Game Over!  (Read 62282 times)

Griffionday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Revolution II - The Fires of Rebellion: Game Over!
« Reply #555 on: July 27, 2013, 12:34:39 pm »

Well, I'm an idiot.

GG Nerjin, I don't know why I trusted you more than griffinpup, but I did.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: July 27, 2013, 02:14:06 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Okay, not really. I joined this game in hopes for a cakewalk, I got a cakewalk. First of all, as everyone already said, the setup is ridiculously, unbelievably unbalanced. Blindly ripping off boardgame's rules is not a good move. Far from it. Secondly, town was rather bereft of experienced players (with the exception of Tiruin). Town couldn't agree about anything at all, lurking was abundant and Birdy didn't do nearly enough about it. I was highly suprised when nobody picked up on NQT blatantly telling his teammates how to avoid sabotage clashes. I was actually about to accuse him myself, but then decided that the townie points this move would gain me aren't worthy of losing a teammate.

Now, regarding individual people:
Birdy - excellent writer, except for one major problem, and specifically handling replacements. 'They were wounded, left and were replaced'? A major suspension of disbelief violation right there. As a mod, however... well, let's just say you have to improve a lot. Major points: not listening to people telling you your setup is broken and proposing ways to fix it and not sending enough prods.
Nerjin - 5/5, no question.
NQT... At first I was like
Spoiler: this (click to show/hide)
, then I was like
and at the end I was like
. I don't think an explanation is needed.
Tiruin - 1/5. I was highly disappointed by his passivity and the 'how many spies were there?' comment would have marked him as scum had I not needed someone to call town. :P
GP - 4/5. Very well played, especially considering his lack of experience. The scummiest thing was intentionally getting my name wrong. That was seriously a bad move. Also, most of the points I mentioned in the post where I outlined my case on you are entirely valid - for example, you did twist my words regarding NQT.
Lenglon - 4.5/5. Would have been perfect if it wasn't for the power trip accompanied by WoTs I didn't even read at the end. Also a couple of fallacies (like the fact that I knew the second mission was going to be sabotaged (although true, it wasn't sound :P)), but nothing a couple more games won't fix.
GD - 2.5/5. The probabilities calculation was pointless... and I can't recall anything else. I don't remember any strong cases, whether right or not, for the entire game. Tolerable considering your newness, though.
TWS - 2.5/5. Occam's Razor argument was incredibly idiotic. Picking up on Tiruin's question was a good thing, though. Similarly to GD, nothing outstanding that I remember and if it wasn't for good votes lately it would have been 2/5.

Btw, my first team was truly random. If it didn't have at least one scum, I'd have used a different generator to reroll. :P
« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 02:13:05 am by Dariush »

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: July 27, 2013, 02:45:20 pm »

In this game randomly picking your team is a pro-scum move. Not having yourself on the team is pro-scum. Town should have seen this and realised that Dariush was scum. He idiotically put two scum on the first mission, which passing meant I had to put two scum on the second mission. I couldn't risk both me and Nerjin from failing that mission, as none of us would be allowed on future teams, so I had to communicate. I sincerely hope I'm never on a scum team with Dariush again.

Me and Dariush were obvscum, and my comminicating with Nerjin implicated him. Really, town should have won this if they'd engaged their brains. Sorry for not replying to people-- you all knew I was a spy so I had all but given up defending myself, especially as Nerjin was able to look good in condemning me.

But yeah, this is my first win of the subforum so I'm pretty chuffed regardless.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: July 27, 2013, 03:06:39 pm »

Good game everyone. I enjoyed this game quite a bit.

@Birdy The ending flavor was pretty good although the actual apprehension of the rebels didn't really feel right. I dunno, could have focused on it a bit more than just "Here's how it went own" from a historical standpoint.
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: July 27, 2013, 03:46:20 pm »

Good game everyone. I enjoyed this game quite a bit.

@Birdy The ending flavor was pretty good although the actual apprehension of the rebels didn't really feel right. I dunno, could have focused on it a bit more than just "Here's how it went own" from a historical standpoint.

Who said anything that was the ending?

I may have one final thing to wrap up. Once I get my thoughts together, I'll be putting on my writing cap for an epilogue of sorts.
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: July 27, 2013, 03:48:31 pm »

Okay, not really. I joined this game in hopes for a cakewalk, I got a cakewalk. First of all, as everyone already said, the setup is ridiculously, unbelievably unbalanced. Blindly ripping off boardgame's rules is not a good move. Far from it. Secondly, town was rather bereft of experienced players (with the exception of Tiruin). Town couldn't agree about anything at all, lurking was abundant and Birdy didn't do nearly enough about it. I was highly suprised when nobody picked up on NQT blatantly telling his teammates how to avoid sabotage clashes. I was actually about to accuse him myself, but then decided that the townie points this move would gain me aren't worthy of losing a teammate.

Now, regarding individual people:
Birdy - excellent writer, except for one major problem, and specifically handling replacements. 'They were wounded, left and were replaced'? A major suspension of disbelief violation right there. As a mod, however... well, let's just say you have to improve a lot. Major points: not listening to people telling you your setup is broken and proposing ways to fix it and not sending enough prods.
Nerjin - 5/5, no question.
NQT... At first I was like
, then I was like
and at the end I was like
. I don't think an explanation is needed.
Tiruin - 1/5. I was highly disappointed by his passivity and the 'how many spies were there?' comment would have marked him as scum had I not needed someone to call town. :P
GP - 4/5. Very well played, especially considering his lack of experience. The scummiest thing was intentionally getting my name wrong. That was seriously a bad move. Also, most of the points I mentioned in the post where I outlined my case on you are entirely valid - for example, you did twist my words regarding NQT.
Lenglon - 4.5/5. Would have been perfect if it wasn't for the power trip accompanied by WoTs I didn't even read at the end. Also a couple of fallacies (like the fact that I knew the second mission was going to be sabotaged (although true, it wasn't sound :P)), but nothing a couple more games won't fix.
GD - 2.5/5. The probabilities calculation was pointless... and I can't recall anything else. I don't remember any strong cases, whether right or not, for the entire game. Tolerable considering your newness, though.
TWS - 2.5/5. Occam's Razor argument was incredibly idiotic. Picking up on Tiruin's question was a good thing, though. Similarly to GD, nothing outstanding that I remember and if it wasn't for good votes lately it would have been 2/5.

Btw, my first team was truly random. If it didn't have at least one scum, I'd have used a different generator to reroll. :P
[/quote][/spoiler]

I agree with your points on me. My modding left a lot to be wanted. However, now would be a good time to discuss things about the setup if you have any ideas that would help out!
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: July 27, 2013, 04:13:01 pm »

Another town player and a larger number of unaccepted missions before it automatically goes ahead, with more encouragement to fail missions. Rebels learn something everytime a mission is failed, so they really should be failing more missions.

Griffionday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: July 27, 2013, 04:20:26 pm »

Hmm...  Tolerable isn't what I'd like to be.  And you're right; I had no strong cases in this game.  That being said, do you have pointers on how to be more efficient in ones play?  Outside of never promising reads that take forever to make?

I think I got bogged down due to lack of time to focus on the game, and that's not something that will change, so I need to get quite a bit better; any pointers you have are welcome.

griffinpup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: July 27, 2013, 04:37:23 pm »

Hmm...  Tolerable isn't what I'd like to be.  And you're right; I had no strong cases in this game.  That being said, do you have pointers on how to be more efficient in ones play?  Outside of never promising reads that take forever to make?
You mean reads that don't get made, right? :D

Dariush:
It was still a dick move to stop responding to my posts.  I might of made a mistake when spelling your name wrong, but I doubt you could of proven it as a scummy reaction.  I'm just sad that you didn't even try.  The end of that game really was boring.

Umm... balance suggestions.
Don't let Remuthra play.
Maybe keep whoever's suggesting teams anonymous?  That would make it interesting.  I have no idea what this would actually do, but it sounds fun.
Don't start with a 3 to 8 scum town ratio. 
Make mission 3 or 5 require two sabotage attempts as well.

Implementing all of these would probably be a bad idea, but I think that at least some of these are good ideas.

TheWetSheep

• Bay Watcher
  • water covering (entire sheep)
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: July 27, 2013, 06:56:53 pm »

Bah. Yeah, my play was pretty bad. Although,
Occam's Razor argument was incredibly idiotic.
I'll say this again. It wasn't an argument. It was musing.

I doubt I'll play another Revolution here. Nothing against you, Birdy, but I just found the game to be a lot more wearing than others. This is probably because unlike mafia, the number of players doesn't go down and you don't have anything to confirm people's roles like roleflips.

I did have an idea for a very pro-town power role, but it might overcompensate. A town player who is -1 sabotage on any mission they are on. The spies know who this player is.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: July 27, 2013, 06:58:49 pm »

I approve of that power-role.
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: July 27, 2013, 08:34:23 pm »

WHAAAAAAAT????
Nerjin was the one I was wrong about?
Nerjin??
I never...
I...
But, but...
Nerjin!!!
NERJIIIINNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
^
This.

I bloody ignored my intuition on him AGAIN. He was TOO SMOOTH.

And Leeeenglooon ;__; Sorry!!

DAMMIT REMUTHRA!!!!!!!!!!

Still, GP did a good play.

:v
Stress hurts. But yes, I believe I did bad.

Also, to note, On the re-read were multiple instances of those spies doing the 'I believe this is town' reiterations over and over again.

Bluh. Also, his? :P

@TWS: I'm seconding Dar's notion. Occam's Razor in that context is not..rational, to employ the simplest path of logic.
@Lenglon: I was really rocking the boat in deciding whether you were town or not. I had a full town read--hey, your RP flavor also helped in a tiny bit--but then looking at your predecessor.. >__________>
« Last Edit: July 27, 2013, 08:40:19 pm by Tiruin »

zombie urist

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: July 27, 2013, 11:30:43 pm »

I'd like to host Revolution III in the future. I have a few ideas on how to make it better balanced and more mafia-like and I'll spend the next couple of months tweaking the setup.
The worst part of all of this is that Shakerag won.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: July 28, 2013, 02:22:34 am »

However, now would be a good time to discuss things about the setup if you have any ideas that would help out!
Firstly and most importantly: let town make at least one mistake on the last day. Decide whether there are two or three spies and balance the mission requirements accordingly. For eight players, I'd have removed one spy and made fourth mission require a single sabotage.

Dariush:
It was still a dick move to stop responding to my posts.  I might of made a mistake when spelling your name wrong, but I doubt you could of proven it as a scummy reaction.  I'm just sad that you didn't even try.  The end of that game really was boring.
I play to win, not not be a dick. :P If the game was already decided (as it was for a long time), there really is no point in posting.
Don't let Remuthra play.
If we start banning people from playing, we have plenty of higher-priority candidates. Like PotL, who has a nifty 100% replacement request rate. Or IG, who is IG.

Bah. Yeah, my play was pretty bad. Although,
Occam's Razor argument was incredibly idiotic.
I'll say this again. It wasn't an argument. It was musing.
I'll say this again. Pouring your thoughts into text might be a good idea, if you are into it. Just press Ctrl+A and then Delete after doing so instead of Ctrl+W to post.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: July 28, 2013, 04:29:18 am »

Umm... balance suggestions.
Maybe keep whoever's suggesting teams anonymous?  That would make it interesting.  I have no idea what this would actually do, but it sounds fun.
Nope, Pup, that's a terrible plan that makes it much harder for the rebels. The lack of trustworthiness of the team leader is a big reason to fail a team.
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38]