Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Large embarks  (Read 1108 times)

bluephoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Large embarks
« on: September 07, 2014, 06:41:33 am »

Has anyone done any science regarding FPS on large embarks?
I always play on 4x4 or 5x5 and on the 5th year the game usually slows down to 20 FPS (200 dwarves, no intricate fluid systems, no mods)
Has anyone played on 6x6 or larger and noticed much of a difference in FPS? I turned the temperature off a few days ago for a minute and didn't notice any change in FPS so temp shouldn't be an issue.

I'd love to play on larger embarks since 4x4 feels so cramped but I don't want to retire my fort in the 3rd year due to FPS.
I searched the forums if there was a similar topic but couldn't find one.

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
Re: Large embarks
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2014, 07:04:10 am »

i got used to play 2x2 so even 4x4 seems to big to me. i like the compactness of those sites. but haven't played a long game in a while so do not know the FPS rates at bigger (population) fortresses.
i even liked the 1x1 when nano-fortress was a thing :D really challanging to fit things in :D
Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2014, 08:28:39 am »

besides that, surface size isn't everything. My previous 4x3 embark had somewhere near 200 z-levels to play with, my current 5x4 embark only has about 100. That 4x3 map was bigger than this 5x4.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

malvado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2014, 03:14:00 pm »

Been trying to play on an 4x6 size embark, slows down to 20fps after just a few years.
Then did the same with a younger world and the fps was much better.

Currently in the process of testing things out , I used to be able to play at 4x6 before with decent fps (above 60 to 80) untill i hit around 200 and having a lot of things active (windmills, running water etc).

BoredVirulence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2014, 03:32:35 pm »

I've played a maximum size embark once. While it looked cool, it was in fact an awful idea. No sane person would get to their second summer.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2014, 03:34:18 pm »

I usually do 5X5, on my computer that runs Dark Souls 2 without any lag at all, and I'm normally at 30-70 FPS, with temperature and weather turned off, DFHack's FPS enhancer, and the Masterwork FPS enhancer.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2014, 07:08:22 pm »

I tried a max-sized embark in 34.11 simply to dig into a *spoiler* and then abandon for the purposes of adventure mode.

My computer locked up for half an hour, then DF crashed.
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2014, 09:55:12 pm »

Just tested various embarks' starting FPS for me:

2x2: wildly unstable, from 400-1000 FPS all over the place * 4 = 2800
3x3: ~800 FPS * 9 = 7200
4x4: ~500 FPS * 16 = 8000
5x5: ~400 FPS * 25 = 10000
6x6: ~400 FPS * 36 = 14400
7x7: ~250 FPS * 49 = 12250
8x8: ~150 FPS * 64 = 9600

The 6x6 was the fastest per embark tile
« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 09:57:51 pm by GavJ »
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.