Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: General skills (like the generic fighting skill) for other labors  (Read 1114 times)

Ribs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The fighting skill has an interesting idea behind it: it (mainly) serves as a generic substitute for more specialized weapon skills. It's a realistic concept, and it works really well. If the character is a skilled fighter, but has no experience in using axes, he still gets a bonus with that weapon because of his high fighting skill, albeit not as big a bonus he would get if he had the appropriate weapon skill.

Why not bring that concept to other labor types?

For instance, you could have a generic "stoneworker" skill, that would serve as a clutch for other more specialized skills related to masonry, such as stonecrafting,  stone construction /smoothing and engraving.

It's also a good way of splitting some of the skills people have been wanting to for ages (such as mason/construction, and stone smoothing/engraving) and still have them interconnected so it would make sense. So if you have a highly skilled mason, he'll be ok at engraving/ smoothing stone, but not as good as a specialized stoneworker that focused on those particular skills. Also, all stoneworking jobs would raise the generic "stoneworking" skill, just as all combat related jobs raise the fighting skill.

I can thing of a few other labors that could make sense of this:

Woodworker
  • Wood cutter
  • bowyer
  • wood crafter
  • carpenter
  • fletcher (at least for wooden bolts)

Metalworker
  • metalcrafter
  • armorer
  • weaponsmith
  • etc

Skullsploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: General skills (like the generic fighting skill) for other labors
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2014, 11:43:54 am »

I support this. It makes sense. However, it may be difficult to implement.
"is it harmful for my dwarves ? I bet it is"
Always a safe default assumption in this game 

Ribs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2014, 10:45:02 pm »

In what way? Aside from having to decide which skills should have a "general" skill over it, I think it would be a pretty straightfoward thing to implement.

Unless you mean difficult programming-wise. If that's the case, I wouldn't have a clue...

Ives

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2014, 09:43:28 am »

Instead of adding more visible skills I'd like to see a hidden modifier based on the dorf's highest skill in a skill group. Similar to how item preferences and attributes impact the quality of produced stuff.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2014, 01:56:44 pm »

The program-wise difficulty depends on how Toady implemented this. If he has each labor as a class with a single skill as a variable, it may be hard to implement. (fighting likely uses a different system entirely)

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2014, 02:22:20 pm »

It could be something as simple as GeneralSkill = MAX(SpecificSkill1, SpecificSkill2, ...)/4, then EffectiveSkillX = MAX(GeneralSkill,SpecificSkillX) or EffectiveSkillX = SpecificSkillX + GenericSkill/5.

Or you could go completely ape-shit with an RMCII similar skills system.  Don't do that.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Ribs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2014, 02:23:00 am »

The program-wise difficulty depends on how Toady implemented this. If he has each labor as a class with a single skill as a variable, it may be hard to implement. (fighting likely uses a different system entirely)

Instead of adding more visible skills I'd like to see a hidden modifier based on the dorf's highest skill in a skill group. Similar to how item preferences and attributes impact the quality of produced stuff.

'More is more' is the philosophy Dwarf Fortress seems to follow. Adding an (even more) giant clutter of skills to the game is something Toady is probably going to do eventually, right? I mean, we already have dozens. Making general skills that would serve as parents for specific ones would just make them a little easier to deal with