Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarves just... won't... work...  (Read 1426 times)

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarves just... won't... work...
« on: July 04, 2015, 09:55:57 am »

Title tells the story. My miners have mining turned on, they've got picks, I've got designations all over in areas I know they can access, and they're not digging. I have a magma forge in the depths that's been sitting there unconstructed for years; I have at least three dwarves with metalsmithing enabled, one of them with nothing else enabled.

I had this problem even worse in the fortress before this one; one day the dwarves just refused to work entirely. They just don't seem to want to do any work that isn't done in a workshop (they seem to do that stuff just fine.)

Is this a known bug or something stupid I'm doing or what?

I do have DFHack installed and Fastdwarf turned on, but turning it off and/or restarting with it off does nothing. I'm on 40.24. Is this a known issue or what?
WHY DID YOU HAVE ME KICK THEM WTF I DID NOT WANT TO BE SHOT AT.
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves just... won't... work...
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2015, 10:03:58 am »

Are the designations actual digging orders or just "markers"? .40 added a new setting to designations for the purposes of planning out a fortress design long before you actually need the work done. If you've accidentally toggled that option before making all of your digging plans, then I'm afraid that it's little more than a decoration that you'll have to trace over with the actual digging order.

Edit: Actually, now that I think of it, a hiccup with burrows and/or civilian alerts explains more of your problems.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 10:06:49 am by LMeire »
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2015, 10:06:56 am »

Can't be, I don't have any burrows. Maybe it's a pathing issue? It's about 100 z-levels betwixt the main fort and the magma source.

They will do furniture and hauling jobs, though. I'm gonna see if they do other kinds of workshops.

EDIT:

Not markers, marker designations are blue and these are definitely orange-brown.

What's a "civilian alert"? I've been out of the loop for years.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 10:09:08 am by Schilcote »
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.

nimbus25

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2015, 10:11:35 am »

A Civilian Alert is when you FORCE every single civilian into a burrow. They tend to lead to mass spam of cancellation jobs (especially hauling), so you'd probably notice if that's what it was.

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2015, 10:15:14 am »

Well, shit, they're mining now. I set my aquifer digging to priority 1 and they started right away, even though they wouldn't do the priority-4 digging right next to them. So... I guess "do nothing" was of priority 3 or 2.

EDIT:

Oh, the other thing is, I have a bunch of folks with a bunch of legendary skills (Look, DF is a hard game, arrite?) whom I conscripted. They don't seem to want to ever stop training. I thought Toady took out the "non-working champions" thing; am I mistaken?

EDIT:

And now all but one of the miners has decided to Do Nothing instead. They're not wounded or trapped or anything, they're just hangin' in the meeting room. Seems like as soon as they ran out of priority-1 designations they stopped working altogether. Really, really weird.

EDIT:

Yup, and as soon as I lay down some 1-s they go right to it.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 10:21:56 am by Schilcote »

nimbus25

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2015, 10:34:21 am »

The mining priority isn't labor priority, it's the order they mine in. So if I had a mining designation like:
Code: [Select]
then they'd do the 1, then the 2, then the 3. Even if the 3 was a 7, they'd go do it after they mined out the 2s.

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2015, 10:51:02 am »

The mining priority isn't labor priority, it's the order they mine in. So if I had a mining designation like:
Code: [Select]
then they'd do the 1, then the 2, then the 3. Even if the 3 was a 7, they'd go do it after they mined out the 2s.

Sure, but my dwarves are nonetheless only doing 1s through 3s. And they're not doing anything else... maybe there's a dig site they can't get to that's jamming them up?

Arkansan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2015, 12:55:34 pm »

I'm running into this with a human fortress. Other than hauling or basic construction jobs everything else is taking forever to get done. Particularly any kind of workshop production jobs. They just keep sitting around doing nothing or taking breaks in the dining hall.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2015, 02:04:03 pm »

they're just hangin' in the meeting room.

When you have work to absolutely be done, disable the meeting room.
Meeting rooms are a great way for dwarves to NOT do any assigned work and just have their own fun in there.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2015, 06:16:04 pm »

This sounds like a DFHack bug, not a DF bug. 

There are certain plugins, especially the likes of workflow, which can sometimes cause serious problems with dwarves just plain ignoring jobs.  Cancel all the jobs or designations, and re-designate to have them suddenly "appear" to the dwarves, again. 

If you use workflow heavily, it seems to work properly, but if you don't use workflow, you should disable the plugin, because it causes problems being left on default settings.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare