Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Split-screen View Panes  (Read 560 times)

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Split-screen View Panes
« on: March 01, 2016, 10:11:15 am »

I don't know if it's practical, but there could be extra view panes (sort of like the minimap) for viewing multiple parts of the fortress at once. You would be able to keep an eye on an important project while doing something else, then cycle the areas to the main view with the press of a button.

Spoiler: Basically This: (click to show/hide)
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
Re: Split-screen View Panes
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2016, 10:28:35 am »

Hey, what tileset is that? ;)

I really, really want the minimap to be useful in fort mode but always end up ignoring it.  Rendering it as a distinct viewpoint would be great (at least on machines that aren't GFPS-bound).  It would work best if there was an unambiguous visual cue to which window is "active" and a simple way to toggle.

In an ideal world multiple additional views could pop out and be their own windows, limited only by your tolerance for low GFPS, but that is a much bigger change to the interface.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Re: Split-screen View Panes
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2016, 10:46:24 am »

Hey, what tileset is that? ;)
Earth 2150
It would work best if there was an unambiguous visual cue to which window is "active" and a simple way to toggle.
The active one is the main view. It swaps the previous view into one of the mini view panes. Earth 2150 lets you do stuff in the mini views, but I think that's a bit much for DF's interface.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 10:49:02 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?