Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How can I remove under-water ramps?  (Read 2493 times)

Afghani84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How can I remove under-water ramps?
« on: January 07, 2017, 05:09:10 pm »

Hi!

My plan is to use an existing river and redirect it around my fortress as a moat. Now whereever I channel tiles out to redirect the water, slopes remain. Once filled with water my dwarves cannot access them anymore, of course. For the most part digging the channel first and then connecting it to the river works...but for the last line of blocks that doesn't work. Does anyone have an idea how to get rid of the slopes? Pumps might work but to install and later deconstruct them along the entire perimeter would be overkill...

Here's a little sketch, so you know what I mean:

WWDDDWW
WWDDDWW
WWSDSWW
RRRRRRRRR
RRRRRRRRR
WWWWWW

W - wall (normal tile)
D - dug out tile to redirect the river
R - river
S - dug out tiles where slopes remain...how to get rid of them?

Werdna

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Overlord
    • View Profile
Re: How can I remove under-water ramps?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2017, 08:47:08 pm »

Depending on the embark, you can wait until winter for it to freeze over and then dig it out.
ProvingGrounds was merely a setback.

Afghani84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2017, 08:52:09 pm »

Depending on the embark, you can wait until winter for it to freeze over and then dig it out.
thanks for the suggestion. sadly my embark is in a warm climate zone  :(

Werdna

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2017, 08:59:04 pm »

I think you are stuck with pumps.  It really shouldn't be too tiresome, certainly a lesser chore than piercing an aquifer.  Maybe someone else has a clever idea.
ProvingGrounds was merely a setback.

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2017, 10:01:48 pm »

A cave-in should destroy the ramps; just make sure the z-level below is unmined or a constructed wall.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2017, 08:05:15 am »

If you haven't dug it out yet, to solve the "need to exit" issue you can approach it from the side where you'll later build wall, or from below (later removing the hole by building wall at that place on z-level below.

If you have, note that for draining it you don't need entire line of pump along the lines of ramps (unless you channeled into an aquifer) - just temporarily redirecting the river so you can dam it's inflow into the moat is good enough. Alternatively, you can establish a drain from below into map edge fortifications or caverns, though that's going to leave a visible note of it's use.

oldmansutton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2017, 01:56:27 pm »

I haven't found a way around ending up with at least one ramp (dwarves gotta escape the moat and all).  I'll usually dig out my moat, remove all the ramps, except for one on the far side to get my miner out right next to the water source barrier, channel in to the water source, and then just build a drawbridge over the last ramps I left behind, to make it harder to get out if anybody is foolish enough to venture in.  It's a decent enough workaround, for me anyways.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 03:26:47 pm by oldmansutton »
I suggest using kilokittens. As cats are 10X the volume of kittens. That way, 50 cats would be .5 kilokittens.

100 cats would be 1 kilokitten.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2017, 11:20:07 pm »

1. Remove the last ramp.

2. Dig a way out, either by going sideways or going 1z below.

3. Block that way afterwards with a wall.