Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls Mod [WIP] - NEED OF PROFESSIONAL HELP <.<  (Read 1337 times)

Calvin

• Bay Watcher
  • @
    • View Profile
The Elder Scrolls Mod [WIP] - NEED OF PROFESSIONAL HELP <.<
« on: November 27, 2008, 02:58:58 am »

Yes, I'm making a TES mod, based on all of the The Elder Scrolls games.

I'm doing fine, infact, I got all the races, and pretty much 90% of the creatures in the game from TES, The problem? You always play as the imperial, though (They ARE the human race, anyways) And somehow they survive.

Apparently its a survival of the fittest. I end up with only like 5 civillizations, while the rest are extinct, and most of the time, we can't even generate a world!

Is there any way to stop this mad war for control?
(I also end up with weird ages, with two monsters that somehow gained abilities to control, such as a spriggan[half female half tree] having dragonfire, yet not being roasted herself.

The raws are in the next post (maybe even another post) due to post size.

Please, help :3

I'm on the breakthrough of a legendary mod maybe.

Calvin

• Bay Watcher
  • @
    • View Profile
Re: The Elder Scrolls Mod [WIP] - NEED OF PROFESSIONAL HELP <.<
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2008, 02:59:36 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
(Yes, I know, they're all related in a copied-way, but distinctly different... I think)

The civillizations raw is too big for one post, sadly. So yeah, please, I can't really find out a way to make the stupid races last longer.

krige

• Bay Watcher
  • [TILE:dwarf:fire]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2008, 05:05:02 am »

Maybe try fiddling around with ethics? I think races with similar ethic settings tend to have less wars.
Sheriff of Nottingham: That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings, and call off Christmas.

Calvin

• Bay Watcher
  • @
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2008, 05:08:02 am »

What I really want, is my world to have all the civillizations in it.

Not just only 5 or 6.

I mean, Khajiits are my favourite.
They can't be extinct >:[

Thuellai

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody's business but the Turks
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2008, 05:24:04 am »

How many civs are you genning?  If you gen more civs, more civs will survive..
When you're following an angel, does it mean you have to throw your body off a building?

"So kids, what story do you want me to read to you tonight?"
"Oooh!  Oooh!  Goldibeard and the The Rotting Corpses!"
~LegacyCWAL

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2008, 09:09:26 am »

You might want to cap the amount of sites they can make, so they don't get too close to each other.

Also gen more civs.

Pruvan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2008, 09:25:37 am »

You need to recheck those damblocks (natural resistance). Imperials' are as high as Orcs' while Orcs are naturally much more resistant to damage. Imperials aren't very stout either... I fail to see how they have [CAVE_ADAPT]...  or why they're alcohol dependant. And they need more dutifulness,. They have guards patrolling all over the world 24/7 in TES4, so yah, dutiful much. Maybe a bit more trust too, they are rather negotiative.
Nords need more layering, they likes the cold. Also they're missing at least [DAMBLOCK:1], if Imperials get like 2. Size of 8 might be less extreme than 9. Maxage should be same as all humans. Intellectual Curiosity for example isn't very Nordy so check those personality traits too.
All elves should get at least the age your Nords currently have (although I'm not sure how long elves live in TES lore). The weaker elves should have a negative damblock.
Argonians (and some other races?) are naturally immune to diseases/poisons, there's a way of getting that in but I'd have to check again on how exactly, maybe someone else can help you with that.
And so on and so forth...

Fiddle around with the tokens a bit more. Also try generating a large map once every so often and let it run at least 200 years to see how things unfold. If Imperials still take over all the time post the entity_default file and we'll see what's up.
I don't see dicks...  I'd hate to ask people to point them out.

Bobokapi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2008, 12:23:02 pm »

shouldn't the orcs be at least as big as nords(or bigger)?

Calvin

• Bay Watcher
  • @
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2008, 12:44:21 pm »

You need to recheck those damblocks (natural resistance). Imperials' are as high as Orcs' while Orcs are naturally much more resistant to damage. Imperials aren't very stout either... I fail to see how they have [CAVE_ADAPT]...  or why they're alcohol dependant. And they need more dutifulness,. They have guards patrolling all over the world 24/7 in TES4, so yah, dutiful much. Maybe a bit more trust too, they are rather negotiative.
Nords need more layering, they likes the cold. Also they're missing at least [DAMBLOCK:1], if Imperials get like 2. Size of 8 might be less extreme than 9. Maxage should be same as all humans. Intellectual Curiosity for example isn't very Nordy so check those personality traits too.
All elves should get at least the age your Nords currently have (although I'm not sure how long elves live in TES lore). The weaker elves should have a negative damblock.
Argonians (and some other races?) are naturally immune to diseases/poisons, there's a way of getting that in but I'd have to check again on how exactly, maybe someone else can help you with that.
And so on and so forth...

Fiddle around with the tokens a bit more. Also try generating a large map once every so often and let it run at least 200 years to see how things unfold. If Imperials still take over all the time post the entity_default file and we'll see what's up.
Yeah, It was late at night when I did this. I can't do things very correctly late at night (I had to correct a TON of stuff :P)

How many civs are you genning?  If you gen more civs, more civs will survive..
I get about 4-6 civillizations when I finish my world-gen. I have only 11 races in teh game, which are the base races, and along with Dremora (the daedra)

And I'll try to post the civillizations raw, it can't fit in one post though >:[

A_Fey_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2008, 05:45:20 pm »

Shouldn't the player play as Dwemer, seeing as they are the only dwarf based race in the game and they dug out most of the caves and such. Only thing is that they are pretty much extinct in TES, and they are quite a bit more steam punk than Tolkien's dwarves.

Thuellai

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody's business but the Turks
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2008, 11:31:14 pm »

No, what I was saying is you can change the number of civs to be generated at world gen.  By default it only gens like 15, which would explain why you're only getting about six.
When you're following an angel, does it mean you have to throw your body off a building?

"So kids, what story do you want me to read to you tonight?"
"Oooh!  Oooh!  Goldibeard and the The Rotting Corpses!"
~LegacyCWAL

Pruvan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2008, 10:30:26 am »

17x17 maps gen 5 civs
33x33 maps 5 civs as well
65x65 maps 10 civs
129x129 maps 20 civs
and 257x257 maps 50 civs

Those are pocket, smaller, small, medium and large maps respectively. For best results when testrunning a mod to see if it's balanced is to gen a large map and let it run for a reasonable time, as I said earlier. That way you eliminate the chance of having 5 civs where 4 of em are the same race. With 50 civs the chance they get divided equally is much higher. 4 vs 1 naturally means an easy worldconquering run for the advantaged race. Since Imperials are set as playable race in your mod and the generator will always put at least one playable civ on the map it's possible they conquer the world every time cause there's so many of em compared to the opposing races.

EDIT: Also, if you have 11 races you'll need to gen at least 129x129 maps to get them all in. Unless you make a new parameter set that makes smaller worlds with more civs on it.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2008, 10:32:59 am by Pruvan »
I don't see dicks...  I'd hate to ask people to point them out.

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2008, 03:05:37 pm »

The Imperials controlling most of the world fits TES lore rather well, though.
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

sdu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2008, 12:28:47 am »

To ensure you can play as all races and that they all survive, make sure they all have [civ_controllable] in their entity and that when ur genning a world there's an option to make sure all playable civs survive.

If you want to play different civs, you basically tab down the civ list when you're choosing a site, and that's the civ you play as. Because of this it might be worth checking what all the civs are via Legends before you start a game.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2008, 04:12:57 am »

For future reference, do not post extensive raws in the forum.  It's better to organize them into files, zip the whole bunch, and upload them to the DF File Depot (http://dffd.wimbli.com/).  Among other things, that'll prevent your mod from being forever lost once the thread's been devoured by the beast that is page 2.